Author Topic: Build direction unknown....  (Read 3128 times)

nick_n_ii

Build direction unknown....
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
So I figured I could use a place to brainstorm and get feed back about my unknown build direction.

For starters I'm 5'6" 190lbs(and losing). Figure any time you ask about what to build weight and height seem to come up. Planned budget as of right now is $1000(us dollars). So my current bike will donate it's life to go to the replacement.

My current bike is a big box store bought Mongoose Impasse HD 29er. But there is very few "stock" parts left.
Frame Mongoose 29er Impasse HD
BB stock
Wheels Stock
Stem stock 100mm
Forks Rockshox XC28 Magtk Coil 100 straight stem
Crank Shimano Altus 7/8SPD Square Crankset Black, 175mm, 22X32X42T
Pedals stock
Tires Forte Pisgah 29x2.2
Seat post Giant alloy
Saddle YF Sport
Bars Origin 8 Alloy 680mm wide Pro pulsion pro sweep
Brakes Shimano M396 Disc Brake Black front and rear
Grips ODI Lock On
Front derailleur Shimano Acera M390
Rear derailleur Shimano Acera
Shifters Shimano M310 Shift Lever Black

I think that about covers it. BB bears shot and frame bent in about 3 places. Still not sure if I'm going 27.5 or 29er. But I do know do to limited funds it will be a HT.

See wife and both kids are do for bikes in the spring as well. Wife and daughter will get 27.5s and son might get a 29er.

cmh

Re: Build direction unknown....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
Okay, so here's the bike we're starting with, roughly - Mongoose Impasse HD

The fork is a non-tapered, straight 1 1/8" steerer from what I can see, so you'll need a headset with a reducer bearing, which I'm pretty sure Peter sells, but if not, they can be had.

Most of the time when you do a frame swap, the key parts that might not be compatible are everything along the seat tube - bottom bracket, front derailleur, seat post and post clamp.

With a square taper BB, you'll want a frame with a BSA threaded bottom bracket, and as you said, you'll need a new BB as well.

I don't see any mention of the size of the seatpost, you might be able to reuse if it's a 31.6mm, otherwise you might need a new one. Also, no mention of the clamp diameter of the front derailleur, so that's a possible source of needing new parts.

For the rest of the parts, you should probably be able to just swap them over.

nick_n_ii

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »
Seat  post is a small 25mm. And the front derailleur I can get a different clamp or direct bolt on option. That was from the manual that come with it.

And ya the forks have the straight 1 1/8"

When I bought my bike back in June I wasn't sure how much I'd ride. I'd not rode in about 10-15 years. I started and just found myself wanting more and more. Even planning next years summer vacation around a week of riding.. I've even worked on getting the whole family hooked. Just not as much as me so far. I eat, sleep and dream single tracks..

cmh

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:50:45 AM »
Seat  post is a small 25mm. And the front derailleur I can get a different clamp or direct bolt on option. That was from the manual that come with it.

And ya the forks have the straight 1 1/8"

When I bought my bike back in June I wasn't sure how much I'd ride. I'd not rode in about 10-15 years. I started and just found myself wanting more and more. Even planning next years summer vacation around a week of riding.. I've even worked on getting the whole family hooked. Just not as much as me so far. I eat, sleep and dream single tracks..

25mm seatpost! Wow. A new seatpost can be had from cheap, and while you're buying the frame. Expect about $30-35 if I remember right, and that's a nice carbon seatpost as well.

Sounds like you made a good call, glad to hear you're enjoying it so much! Hope you can get the rest of the family hooked, I can say that having a spouse that rides is pretty awesome, but you'd better make sure you're cool with it if/when she starts kicking your ass. :)