Author Topic: Customs process duration and taxes - what is your experience  (Read 6380 times)

Molothi

Customs process duration and taxes - what is your experience
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
Hi all
(not sure it's the right place for this topic - I hesitated to post it in "After the ride"...)

I wonder how long the Customs process takes, and what % of taxes we can expect.
I think this might be interesting for a lot of people who are still hesitating to purchase a frame or components from China
I found some information on the forum, but usaually it's just a few words in a thread - not easy to have a synthesis

I've already bought a frame from Peter, and it's currently blocked at Customs, ... since the 20th of October morning
I exchanged a little with Peter, asked him if he could share something with me about that (as I 'm a newbie for that (everything starts one day :-) )  and he did but each country has its specificities 

so the idea for that post is to give a summary of our different experiences country by country...

I'll share mine when everything will be completed - what I can already share is that the process is taking minimum 3 days for France!

Advice: you have to keep an eye on the tracking information - in my case, it was mentionned "Held for customs inspection", " Contact the sender or recipient in process for missing documents" but noone contacted me nor Peter... I contated the Customs Office to get more information, and provided the proof of buy.... and since... I've been waiting

the information could be listed in a chart like this:
Process duration: minimum time for the process: 3 days (as of Customs have all documents
% of taxes: ? don't know yet
Advice:prepare a copy of your Paypal payment (.pdf) and send it to : douane.import@client-chronopost.fr (email title = tracking number), plus "Je soussigné xxxxxxxx, m’engage à régler les droits et taxes à la livraison de mon colis N° yyyyyyyyy. "

;)

Molothi

Re: Customs process duration and taxes - what is your experience
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:24:36 AM »
Hi
the frame has arrived and I can now update the information about Importation from China:

so based on my experience here is the importation charges you may get when importing Carbon components from China

Destination Country:   France
Process duration:    minimum time for the process: 3 days (as of Customs have all documents) - it took 8 days for me :-(
% of taxes:   4.7% for Carbon Frame + 20% VAT
Other Taxes: 21€ (fixed charge for document treatment)
Advice:   prepare a copy of your Paypal payment (.pdf) and send it to : "douane.import@client-chronopost.fr" (email title = tracking number), plus "Je soussigné xxxxxxxx, m’engage à régler les droits et taxes à la livraison de mon colis N° yyyyyyyyy. "
 ;)

SportingGoods

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
Salut Molothi,

Another French here (Grenoble).

I have faced the exact same situation about 2 month ago: missing documents, 8 days, VAT +21€ for Chronopost, email to customs, etc...
It tells me that the process could be improved for France if the vendor could attach the invoice to the parcel.

Customs fees are too high to me :) , you can work it around but If you get caught they keep the parcel and charge up to 1500€ fees. That's a lot of stress. And as you probably know, customs want a proof of payment, not just an invoice, so it's tricky (but doable).

Tu es de quel coin?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
I had a case here with the Belgian post office. But it applies theoretically to the whole eurozone.

I said it already quite a few times, but if your frame is painted, and you fall on a picky guy, they can charge you 47.5% of anti-dumping (before VAT and the european 4.7%).

After arguing for a couple of months.
Finally by telling them it was unpainted raw carbon, they put the frame under another TARIC code, and refunded me the ~300 EUR I had to pay to the postman.

The same applies to laced wheels, but not for naked rims.

Molothi

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
Hi SportingGoods

I read a couple of forums before I ordered the frame, and I knew that the invoice (pro forma) in the parcel was mandatory to avoid having your parcel blocked. that's why I asked Peter to add it and he did.
the real missing point was the proof of payment.
something that borred me is that Chronopot tracking info mentionned that they called/emailed me but they did not!
I  had to call them to know what was missing (because it was not detailed)
so I contacted them 3 times... and at the end they charged me 21€ in addition to all other taxes  >:(  >:(
but now.... the frame is at home :-)

and for youe other question... I'm from Finistere... a few km far away from you  ;D

SportingGoods

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:29:01 AM »
I think customs are so used to being fooled that they want more then the attached invoice. When they pick you they want the proof of payment...
Agreed that Chronopost did not do a good job. First they handed the parcel to customs :(, then they also said they had contacted the vendor or me (which they had not done) and finally took me 21€ for their "effort"  >:(

Anyway, even though it was a pain, I don't regret a split-second my order. A couple people were amazed by my bike yesterday (while riding in the Vercors mountain), one told me "your bike must be 5000-6000€ right?" :) that's priceless :)

kazer

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:21:27 AM »
did you guys know that you can easily modify the paypal invoice before printing it as pdf ?

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Another classic is to split the amount in two invoices, and two payments. Showing them just one.
This at least wouldn't end as a forgery in front of the juge  :)

Molothi

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »
yes I know it Carbonazza, but the seller has to agree to do it too (usually it's the case)
but playing with customs can be dangerous, the parcel can be definitively blocked and you can even get a taxe.... up to 1500€
you can "play", and when you play you sometimes win... or lose
so sometimes it's better to follow rules  ;)

SportingGoods

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
Another classic is to split the amount in two invoices, and two payments. Showing them just one.
This at least wouldn't end as a forgery in front of the juge  :)
But when customs ask for the proof of payment it's too late, unless you were well prepared and requested the 2-fold payment from the start. Still then you never know which mistake the vendor might have done, which invoice did he really place in the parcel? It's so easy to put the wrong one.
And customs make up their mind once, if it's too obvious you tried to fool them, it's game over. You will never see your parcel.

Out of 3 big deliveries from China I had to pay tax only once. My 2 frames got delivered with no additional fee. The wheels got stuck and I had to pay :(

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:08 AM »
I suppose in some ways, we are lucky in the US.  Our government hasn't instituted VAT or customs taxes on these types of shipments, at least not yet anyway.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Molothi

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
Out of 3 big deliveries from China I had to pay tax only once. My 2 frames got delivered with no additional fee. The wheels got stuck and I had to pay :(

You are lucky SportingGoods!

Quote from: SportingGoods
I suppose in some ways, we are lucky in the US.  Our government hasn't instituted VAT or customs taxes on these types of shipments, at least not yet anyway.
yes you can say that "at least not yet " :-)

in our case, we have to consider that we have  to add around 25% above the given price (including shipment, for which a taxe is already included ...)  :-[ (except for some lucky guys like SportingGoods :-) )
but it is still a good deal compared to the well known brands (except in case of special offers - I received an example yesterday for some FOCUS frames, around 500€ all taxes included.... but in this knid of special offer it's mostly last samples in stocks, so real big choice about size nor colors....)