Author Topic: Looking to do a 29" trail build... absolutely no idea where to begin  (Read 6090 times)

Takiyaki

OK to go full Chinese components as well and I'd like to keep the weight down. What's a reasonable weight expectation and what should I focus on? I think I need about 130mm of travel.

Carbon_Dude

Hardtail ~19 lbs, Full Suspension ~ 23 lbs.  At least that was my experience several years ago.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

h-habilis

Re: Looking to do a 29" trail build... absolutely no idea where to begin
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 11:05:50 PM »
OK to go full Chinese components as well and I'd like to keep the weight down. What's a reasonable weight expectation and what should I focus on? I think I need about 130mm of travel.

Read some of the threads on here under the 29er frame heading, some highly capable and gorgeous bikes being built.  There is one in particular that makes a great converted ebike.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 08:21:03 PM »

Budget will dictate how low you can go on the weight.

ckot

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 02:21:58 PM »
What do you mean by "full Chinese components"?   

- Some of the drivetrains are getting decent, but Shimano prices are so low right now that you might want to look at Deore.   
- For the fork, nobody seems to have done any real testing on some of the new Chinese forks that are showing up, but the last generation were't good (see Berm Peak feedback on Bolany).   Rear suspension is similar - unknown and mostly heavier.
- For wheels, what is your budget?  There are some well reviewed carbon/novotec wheels around, but Chinese aluminum are mostly pretty cheap and poor. 
- Brakes - There is a lot of experience with Zoom brakes, and the four piston ones will stop you bike very well.  However, lots of reports of them leaking and having other problems after a pretty short period.  Good Shimano 2 piston brakes are really, really cheap.  4 piston Shimano are not so cheap, but they are really nice.

In truth, these thoughts are all based on not nearly enough input.  Plenty of people on this forum were willing to try out untested carbon frames and have made it much easier for the rest of us to jump in.  We need some of the same thing with suspension, cranksets, handlebars, etc, so it would be great if you went that direction and reported back on what you found to work/not work.

If you want easy/safe, buy a Carbonda frame and Elitewheels wheel set.  Then plan on mainstream Taiwanese and Japanese brands (Rockshox/Fox/Suntour/Xfusion and Shimano/SRAM/Microshift) for most of the rest.