Author Topic: Eagle upgrade  (Read 1117 times)

Rick64

Eagle upgrade
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:40:01 AM »
Decided to upgrade to Sram Eagle, X01 cassette and chain with GX rear mech and shifter £404  8)

gohloum

Re: Eagle upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
Here in Florida, I would have done the exact opposite.  Chain and cassette are wear parts that have to be replaced, and if you ride where there is a lot of sand or sandy dirt, the wear on these parts is exponential.  Also, the smoothness and accuracy of the shifting is controlled by the shifter mechanism more-so than any of the other components.  I've actually run both the XX1 and GX derailleur on my GX 11 setup and there is literally no difference in shifting performance. It's a lot of money to fork out for a few grams savings.

Regardless, I too will be moving to the Eagle setup this season.  Seems this new video editing gig I got gives me a lot more mobility and freedom, so there are going to be many more trips to GA, NC, and TN in my future.  I climbed Live Wire 1 and 2 up the back of Raccoon Mountain and with a 32 in front, I could have used the 50 rear.  Normally, my bike is setup with a 34 front since it's pretty flat here.  With a 1x12, I could keep the 34 or possibly even run a 36 in peak season when I'm riding heavily and my legs are in shape to push a gear that tall. 

Have fun with the Eagle.... I'll have to envy yours until mid October when I have some extra cash to upgrade myself.

Rick64

Re: Eagle upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:02:24 PM »

My reason for the XO1 cassette and chain was weight saving, Could have gone for the gold coating but its just more expense with no weight saving and the GX rear mech and shifter shift as smooth and precise as the XO or XX1 as you say. For a slight weight penalty it was also a lot less ££££'s  ;D. Most of my rides are not very sandy and dusty but I use a wax based lube called SquirtLube and its super friendly on the drivetrain with regards to wear and attracting dust and debris

http://www.squirtlube.com

Eagle sounds perfect for your rides Gohloum, you won't go back after riding with it, I'm running a 30T Rotor Qring up front as its kinder on my knees  8)

Safe riding...