Author Topic: A build before snow (CS-036)  (Read 1968 times)

venmod

A build before snow (CS-036)
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
First - a big thanks to all who have taken the time to post their builds and experiences here.  They have helped answer a lot of my questions before I got too stuck.

A bit about me - 215lbs 6'2" generally XC rider, I like to keep the rubber on the dirt - no big air time for me

On to the build

I placed an order with Peter on October 26th

1 - CS-036 21" Size BSA bottom bracket and 142x12 rear end Matte UD finish
2- BC4 Water Bottle - UD Matte finish
1 - B8 Handel bar 760mm UD Matte finish
1 - SP7 Seatpost 400mm UD Matte finish
4 - HR935C - 29" bike rims - UD Matte finish 32 Hole
1 - spare hanger for the rear dropouts
1 - FSA headset
1 - rear axle

The rims were shipped out the next day and arrived about a week later.

The frame and rest of the parts were shipped out on November 10th

Everything was packaged well and looked good

While the frame was in transit I built up the wheels with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, DT Swiss super comp spokes 3X and alloy nipples.  The wheels went together fast.  A friend also build up a set of wheels at the same time.

I set these up for tubeless using Stan's tape, 44mm valves and the orange sealant.  Honey Badger in the front and a Slant Six in the rear.  Did not think to weigh up the wheels after they were built.  Was not going for weight weenie on this, more stiff and reliable.  :D

To complete the bike build, I ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles

XT M8000 1x11 drivetrain
XT M785 Front (180mm) Rear (160 mm) Brakes
2014 Fox Float CDT remote rear shock w/ fox lever
2014 Fox 120mm CDT fork 15mm axle
Crank Brothers stem 100mm
ODI Lockon Grips

Build thoughts and first ride impressions coming soon

Carbon_Dude

Re: A build before snow (CS-036)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Welcome venmod!

Your build is a lot like mine, all the parts you selected are very close to what I would choose if I did a build today instead of 18+ months ago.  I think you will really like the CS-036, it's been very reliable for me and rides very well on the XC/Singletrack trails we have in North Georgia.

My only suggestion is with your Fox lever.  When I built my 036 I did a remote fork as well as shock, I didn't like the Fox lever that came with the Fork, worse when I used the Fox splitter to control both the fork and shock with the Fox lever.  I ended up ordering a Scott lever, they come in either single or dual versions for controlling the shock or the shock and fork as mine does.  The lever was around $50 from the Scott dealer.

Other than that I think you are good to go with your build.  Just be sure to grease all your frame pivot bearings prior to assembly to ensure they will stay nice and smooth.  Some people also by the RWC needle bearings for mounting their shock but I doubt I could notice a difference while riding between the needle bearings and the Fox low friction bushings.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

Re: A build before snow (CS-036)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
That rear axle should work fine (I've used mine for 1.5 years and 1000s of miles), but it's not that great.  You will find it comes loose easily and you will probably lose the nut at some point.  There are like a half dozen of us that have lost ours.  Even with a new, custom made nut, my axle is coming loose nearly every ride now because the plastic bushings under the lever are worn out

I would recommend looking into a more robust axle solution like Shimano or DT Swiss (with axle nut as the drop outs on that frame are not threaded).

Good luck with your build!