Author Topic: Carbon Parts from XMIplay  (Read 5372 times)

Carbon_Dude

Carbon Parts from XMIplay
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
For my IP-057 build, I ordered the following parts from Peter@XMIplay:

1)  Riser Bars
2)  Carbon Spacers for the steer tube.
3)  Neco Headset
4)  Spare Hanger

All the items arrived as ordered, boxed with the frame in bubble wrap.  No damage to any of the parts.  The only problem I had with any of the parts from XMIplay was with the seat post.  On the first ride the post developed a crack.  I checked the torque, it was set at 5N-m so I confirmed I didn't over-torque the clamp.  I contacted Peter, sent a picture, and he gave the choice of either a replacement post or a refund on the part.  I chose the refund and ordered a Easton EC90 post since I didn't want to wait for another post to ship from China.

Peter was very nice about with helping me, he said that they did get a few that were defective and have since changed vendors of that seat post.  I was slightly disappointed but hey, anyone can have a quality issue with their products, what was most important to me was how quickly and easily the problem was resolved.

In the meantime, I have about 700 miles on the frame and other parts without a single issue.  All the parts still look great after almost a year of riding 20-30 miles per week.  No regrets.  As a matter of fact I ordered more parts from Peter with my IP-036 frame that I just completed.  All parts look good and all seem to be great quality.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

Re: Carbon Parts from XMIplay
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:34 AM »
Yeah..  I just don"t feel confident about the bars and seat post yet. Nothing defnitive to base that opinion on, but I've read a few negative comments about the seat post now. Actually, your's being the worst of them Carbon_Dude.

I realize that not all vendors are selling the same posts and bars (or hell, are they?) but since it's quite difficult to know exactly what is what, and from what manufacturer it's from.. When I hear something bad about one of them, it just kinda registers in my head as being about all of them. I'm certain this will change with time.

In the meantime, I ordered a carbon Easton haven post which is more on the "all mountain" side of things so strength should definitely be there, but it weighs less than a high end Thomson so that's good enough for me. I did consider the EC90, but I went full haven cockpit (stem, carbon bars, carbon post).

Carbon_Dude

Re: Carbon Parts from XMIplay
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »
For the IP-056, I went with a Easton EC90 seat post, EA90 Stem, XMIplay riser bars, XMIplay clamp.  For the IP-036, I went with the XMIplay post (Peter said he has had no further problems), XMIplay flat bars, Thomson 90mm stem, and Thomson clamp (which is nice and wide).

As for weight, the Thompson parts are definitely heavier.  Both the Eason and Thomson parts are very high quality and I would not expect any problems with those parts.  The bars from XMIplay also seem light, strong, and good quality.  I would not hesitate in recommending the bars from XMIplay.  The stem, seat post, and clamp are things that you will pay more for if you buy brand name parts but they are not that expensive and there are lots of choices.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA