Author Topic: Q Re: 019 frame and my Nextie wheel experience  (Read 4805 times)

Akchugacher

Q Re: 019 frame and my Nextie wheel experience
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:39:16 AM »
I want to be sure that the frame will clear 5" tires with 100mm rims.  I've read it will w/ 80mm but i'd want 100mm rims which will widen that tire a bit.
Thanks in advance.
AkChugacher

RE: Nextie wheels... I've been running Nextie 90mm wheels w/ good luck (around 3000 miles on them so far).  The design sheds snow so they end up being functionally lighter than other rims (especially HEDs which collect lots of snow) on fluffy days.  They drill the rim at odd angles making the spokes a little splayed.  I broke 3 spokes last winter and had them rebuilt w/ good luck so far.  I've asked several bike shops and others w/ the same wheels and they have not had the same issues so I'm thinking it was maybe just a bad wheel build the first go round?  I also have the jungle fox rims but honestly didn't put enough miles on them this summer to comment.

rvc

Re: Q Re: 019 frame and my Nextie wheel experience
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
I'll measure the clearance on my 019 for you if you like... Other than that, I can't say.

rvc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:20 PM »
The N019 5.35" at its widest. Should be fine given that the tire size installed is usually 1/2 in narrower than the printed spec.

Cheers.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »
RE: Nextie wheels... I've been running Nextie 90mm wheels w/ good luck (around 3000 miles on them so far).  The design sheds snow so they end up being functionally lighter than other rims (especially HEDs which collect lots of snow) on fluffy days.  They drill the rim at odd angles making the spokes a little splayed.  I broke 3 spokes last winter and had them rebuilt w/ good luck so far.  I've asked several bike shops and others w/ the same wheels and they have not had the same issues so I'm thinking it was maybe just a bad wheel build the first go round?  I also have the jungle fox rims but honestly didn't put enough miles on them this summer to comment.

Where did the spokes break, at the J-bend, at the nipple end, in the middle? Usually that much spoke breakage indicates an issue with the build, especially on a new wheel. Maybe the stress relieving step was skipped, or there wasn't enough tension in the spokes. Just guesses based on my experience, which is far from authoritative.

Akchugacher

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »
CMH, They broke at the nipple.  After a couple of brakes they just retensioned them and I still broke a spoke.  Since the complete rebuild I haven't had any issues thus far this season and i'm logging some good miles.  I'll keep you posted.  Assuming no more broken spokes I love the wheels.  I've got I9 hubs which are super nice. 
On an additional note i'll be building a fattie for my buddy soon and will keep everyone posted w/ details when that goes down.