Author Topic: Position of the cable insert holes  (Read 3946 times)

MTB2223

Position of the cable insert holes
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:28:32 AM »
I've got my second frame from Peter, a IP-136.
Here in Europe we're riding with the rear shifter on the right of the handlebar. And the front shifter on the left. The insert hole in the frame for the cable of the rear derailleur is also at the right side of the frame. And the insert hole for the front derailleur cable is at the left side.
On my IP-256 I could swap the cables easily to get a nice curve in the cable. They won't touch the frame other then at the insert hole.

But on the IP-136 this isn't possible to swap.

I was wondering why these positions of the insert hole are chosen this way. Is this something European we're riding the shifters at these positions ?

cmh

Re: Position of the cable insert holes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
Had to stop and think about my rights and lefts, but that's pretty much standard. I think the only thing that's swapped is what brake is where, some folks put the rear brake on the left, which puts the front on the right and I think is how motorcycles do it. For shifters, though, in order to swap front/rear you'd have to mount them upside down on top of the bars.

Running cables like that - with the stops on the same side as the shifters - isn't uncommon, but thankfully is falling out of fashion. Used to be the way it happened with road bikes, but there you could usually run them the nicer way and cross the cables under the down tube. I think this might date back to when the shifters were on the down tube, so the rear was on the right side, and when they were replaced with stops for on-bar shifters, the same positions were used as they had the right angles already. Just a guess on my part.

On most of my bikes, I run the cables around the head tube, and this often requires a little creativity, but can usually be done. On internally routed frames, though, you don't have as many options, especially when there's a tube guiding from one stop all the way to the back. I remember someone (forget who) giving instructions on drilling those out so you could run a full length housing through the frame on the Chiner frames, and that is what I was planning on doing if/when I got mine.

Yet another reason I'm not a huge fan of internal routing.

MTB2223

Re: Position of the cable insert holes
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
On most of my bikes, I run the cables around the head tube, and this often requires a little creativity, but can usually be done. On internally routed frames, though, you don't have as many options, especially when there's a tube guiding from one stop all the way to the back. I remember someone (forget who) giving instructions on drilling those out so you could run a full length housing through the frame on the Chiner frames, and that is what I was planning on doing if/when I got mine.
Thats what I did on my IP-256, as you can see on my picture :) But on the CS-136 it's not possible, because the insert en exit hole for the front derailleur are in the top tube :(