Author Topic: John's 26er Build for the Kiddo  (Read 14984 times)

jwilds1

Re: John's 26er Build for the Kiddo
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Well, good news and bad news...

Good news - everything's routed and operational.  Here's what the BB routing ended up looking like (yeah, I forgot the one rub sleeve, oh well - I'm not undoing everything to get it back on).

Bad news - pretty sure my lower headset bearing isn't supposed to look like this:

I found that while trying to diagnose the front end feeling wobbly.  I had a similar issue when I first put my bike together, which ended up being the fork not being cut enough (no clamp load on spacers).  My main worry bead is that when I found this, I also noticed a small gap between the upper bearing and the cup it inserts into.  I don't know if the gap on the upper portion caused the lower to disassemble itself.  I didn't notice this when I first started putting things together.  I do remember that the crown race installed SIGNIFICANTLY easier on this fork than it was on mine - I can almost slide it off with zero force.

I'm going to order a quality headset and see if that resolves things.  Question - I'm sure the new headset I get will come with a star nut, but is there any issue re-using the expanding nut style clamp that came with the old headset?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
Reusing the expansion nut should not be a problem but I would think a new one should come with your new headset.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

jwilds1

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
UPDATE!

Well, it seems the junk headset was the culprit.  The Cane Creek headset showed up a week or two ago, and last night I finally got around to installing it.  I guess I learned that this is one place not to skimp, although I've had zero issues with the Neco I got with my 29er.  Everything fit with much better tolerancing - crown race, upper/lower bearing, hell even the top cap.

cmh

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »
UPDATE!

Well, it seems the junk headset was the culprit...

Hah! Turns out the same on mine. Spec on the frame cup was too small, headset bearing was too big. Stealing a bearing from my other bike fixed it, and Peter is shipping a new headset.

bxcc

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
Any updates on how the frame fits him? I'm thinking of getting a couple of frames for my daughters for this coming Christmas. How tall is your son and how is it working for him?
Thanks

jwilds1

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates - when we haven't been super busy, the weather's been junk.  So far, we've been limited to rides around the neighborhood without any trail rides.

As for the frame, it's okay.  My issue that I thought was resolved with the new headset was only partially resolved.  The upper cup in the frame is too big, so there's still a minor wobble.  I have to figure out a way to homebrew a shim setup (pop can or something).

Frame is a 14", and I went with 165mm cranks.  He was 4'8" back in March.  Cranks are a little on the long side, but I knew that was a risk we'd take.  Reach is great, though, and I have a short stem so I can change that out as needed as he grows.

I gave up on trying to get the BB7's adjusted, and considering it's my kid's life on the line, I felt better upgrading him to some SLX hydraulics.  For now, I haven't shortened the 1700mm long rear hose, so I just looped it around the stem.  I also need to install the remote lockout on the Reba.

bxcc

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
So 4'8" is doable. Perfect. I'm thinking something a touch bigger for my 9 year old who is 4'8" now. My 7 year old is 4'4" now and she has ridden her sisters XS 26" wheeled GT on pavement without issues. The frames would be Christmas presents and they wouldn't be ridden until this time next year. Obviously I have some time to spare but I'm trying to find frames that would work. I'm thinking some 12k weave options would be cool.
Thanks again

jwilds1

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
Yeah, 4'8" is doable.  You may want to look into the smaller cranksets, though.  I decided on the tradeoff of making them a little too long for the ease of spec/purchasing - I was able to do a one-stop-shop for all of the drivetrain stuff.  This particular frame also has a PF bottom bracket which adds a small degree of difficulty as well.

bxcc

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »
One more question. Any chance this frame will fit a 27.5 wheel/tire setup?

I'm pretty sure I am going to get at least one 14.5" frame but I am unsure which frame / size to get for my oldest. Peter's CS-016 in the 14.5" size might work as it's a bit longer and she is a few inches taller than her sister. Or maybe get two of these, one 14.5 and one 16. But if I go with the 16", it would be nice to throw in a 27.5 wheel when she can handle it. I'm thinking they will be roughly 4'6" and 4'10" or more when they will be riding these next spring.

So basically I have at least 4 months to collect parts and over analyze the frame choice. Over and over again....

jwilds1

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 08:58:10 AM »
It's unlikely a 27.5 will fit.  I'll try and take some pictures this week, but with a 26x2.2 Nobby Nic, there was only about 0.5" clearance at the cranks.

Sorry for the delay in following up - actually had to get it operational to give you an answer (I have ZERO luck with tubeless setups).

watarski

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
I'm about to do the exact same thing for my daughter since she's outgrown her 24" Islabike. I see where you had some issues with the headset fitment. Did you ever get that resolved? Would you buy the white frame (Dashine) again, or get a black one from a different manufacturer?

jwilds1

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
I'm about to do the exact same thing for my daughter since she's outgrown her 24" Islabike. I see where you had some issues with the headset fitment. Did you ever get that resolved? Would you buy the white frame (Dashine) again, or get a black one from a different manufacturer?

Headset issues not 100% resolved, maybe 94%.  There was some definite gap in the upper after installing the bearing.  I did my best to shim out the gap using cut up strips of aluminum cans.

If another manufacturer offered a 14" frame, I would consider it.  I'm just hoping I can get one more year out of this before he outgrows it (he's almost 13 now, and growing at a rate of 0.25" per month)

watarski

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
Thank you for the reply John.  I just got my frame, but I'd like to upgrade the headset...I can't find specs anywhere!  I know it's integrated (IS)...but that's about it. Can you provide me what headset you purchased?
Cheers!