Author Topic: Where to ride in South Tucson??  (Read 3797 times)

325racer

Where to ride in South Tucson??
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »
I'm heading to Safford, AZ for a couple days of work next week.  I'm planning to bring a bike with me in case I have time on my way there or back, or in the evenings.

I'll be driving through South Tucson on my way, so the question is, where should I stop for a ride??  I probably won't have time for an Epic, but something 1-2 hours, 8-15 miles depending on terrain.

Then the question of which bike??  Chiner 057 or Santa Cruz Tallboy LT???

And how about near Safford that I can ride at night?

cmh

Re: Where to ride in South Tucson??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 08:37:53 AM »
It's been a loooong time since I rode in the Tucson area with Western Spirit (guided MTB trips) but when I saw Tucson the very first thing I thought was "Fantasy Island":

http://www.sdmb.org/trails/fantasy-island/

If it's still as much fun as it was when we were there in 2006, it's well worth a visit. I forget all the other places we rode, but there is good riding out there. I'd say that you don't need any more than a hardtail from what I remember of Fantasy Island, it's pretty flat overall and is mostly smooth hardpack. Again, this info is almost 10 years old, so do some research.

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »
I'm from Tucson.  I'm up in Phoenix now.  If you're up in the Phoenix, well go riding for sure!  Might be worth the trip...

I'm actually not very familiar with Tucson riding as I didn't do much trail riding back then.  I'm boarding a plane right now, buy I'll ask some friends tomorrow when I get a chance and try to get back to you.

And yes, Fantasy Island is good when I last ride it a decade ago!

325racer

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »
I think I'm going to try and get in at Fantasy Island.  Probably be there midday tomorrow.