Author Topic: Danish CS-036 build  (Read 18523 times)

karstenhorn

Re: Danish CS-036 build
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:53 AM »
Around 10mm each, OEM are 95.5 mm long if I remember correctly.

Correct, Crank brothers do have two lengths, short 88 mm and normal 95.5 mm. On eBay one can find everything from ultra short to ultra long but only US produced product is the one I linked to. By reading around on the Internet you should stay away from the China produced Titanium as it  is very weak and often poor quality. The one I'm linking to is claiming that their Titanium is stronger than what CB use them self and they do have lots of positive comments on MTBr forum. Basically you can turn your Eggbeaters 1,2 or 3 into Ti11 for a fraction of CB cost and have sub 200 gram pedals   8)

karstenhorn

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
I finally got around to take the 036 for the first testride yesterday, weather here in Scandinavia have been terrible and I was awaiting the last bits and pieces for my XX groupset. Anyway, it became a very short testride as my MTB shoes are hitting the seat stay :( My crankset is a Truativ XX 2 x 10 with a 166 wide Q-factor and my pedals are the CB Candy. I'm hitting quite hard especially on the right side and I have to force my shoes out in the cleats, making it very hard for my worn knees after even a very short ride. Do any of you have the same issues on the 036 frame ?

I'm now looking into longer spindles for my Candy's and apparently I can find a ultra long kit on eBay, problem is that I can only find them in Titanium and I'm afraid that I'm too heavy for Titanium - Any suggestions ?

Issue Solved with the new extra long spindles from the link I posted previously - Pictures:

New spindle Q factor is around 9,7 mm higher and I do now have loads of space to move my feets around in the cleats without hitting the frame.

Another big benefit is the weight savings between titanium and steel spindles, I do now have a set of Eggbeater Candy 1 that is 20 g lighter than a set of Candy TI 11 for around 1/5 of the cost. Seller claims that the titanium used is quite a bit stronger than the type Crankbrothers provide - Time will tell if they can stand up to my 200+ pounds :D

Kind regards

Karsten

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
I had a CB Eggbeater spindle fail on my last year.  They had a known issue with a stress concentration on the spindle shaft.  You could see the sharp edge they had in the machining process.  New replacement spindles from CB have a tapered section rather than a sharp step in that area now.  I think I posted about this in one of my threads.

I was also looking into the Ti spindles on eBay when I had this issue, however I was reluctant due to them saying there is a weight limit on the Ti spindles.  I'm also about your weight karstenhorn so I will be curious how well the new pedals perform.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

karstenhorn

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
I had a CB Eggbeater spindle fail on my last year.  They had a known issue with a stress concentration on the spindle shaft.  You could see the sharp edge they had in the machining process.  New replacement spindles from CB have a tapered section rather than a sharp step in that area now.  I think I posted about this in one of my threads.

I was also looking into the Ti spindles on eBay when I had this issue, however I was reluctant due to them saying there is a weight limit on the Ti spindles.  I'm also about your weight karstenhorn so I will be curious how well the new pedals perform.

"Titanium Spindles" placed a weight limit around 220 pounds(CB placed a 200 pounds weight limit on stock length ti spindles) on their extra long version as they claim to be using some special military grade Titanium much stronger than the ti version used by CB and it is a US based brand producing the product in USA. That being said, it can still break for sure and I have focus on the issue. The way I ride however will not put extreme stress on the part as I do not jump or riding very rough sections while standing. However, I am just around 220 pounds(6.3" and in good shape) even I'm 53 - I will give an update if they break :D

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
I got my frame last Monday and starting to put it together. First issue is the bolts holding the rear shock(Manitou), I do have the shims sorted out but where on eart do I find the bolts holding the shock ?

I need 1 x 34 mm long and 1 x 40 mm long - Both 8 mm outside diameter.

Thanks

Karsten

Karsten,

Did your frame not come with the bolts to mount the shock to the frame? Did you end up needing to purchase them? Hope your bike is still running strong. I'm about to build up a 2x10 XX 036 so trying to figure out all the little parts I need to order.

-Midwest

karstenhorn

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »
I got my frame last Monday and starting to put it together. First issue is the bolts holding the rear shock(Manitou), I do have the shims sorted out but where on eart do I find the bolts holding the shock ?

I need 1 x 34 mm long and 1 x 40 mm long - Both 8 mm outside diameter.

Thanks

Karsten

Karsten,

Did your frame not come with the bolts to mount the shock to the frame? Did you end up needing to purchase them? Hope your bike is still running strong. I'm about to build up a 2x10 XX 036 so trying to figure out all the little parts I need to order.

-Midwest

The bolts provided with the frame was around 4 mm too short and 0.3 mm under the 8.0 mm bushing diameter in my shock. They seemed of very low quality and I bought new ones before I took it for the first ride. I have similar issues with all the bushing bolts holding my chain stay together, causing a lot of flex.

Do yourself a favour and take everything apart and inspect/grease all part before first ride - My frame came dry at all joints from the vendor.

Karsten

cmh

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
However, I am just around 220 pounds(6.3" and in good shape) even I'm 53 - I will give an update if they break :D

6'3" and 220lb and chasing a handful of grams...  :o

karstenhorn

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »
However, I am just around 220 pounds(6.3" and in good shape) even I'm 53 - I will give an update if they break :D

6'3" and 220lb and chasing a handful of grams...  :o

Absolutely not................ I needed some longer axles in order for my shoes to clear the chain stay and TI was the only longer axles that I could find.................

karstenhorn

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
I finally got around to get my new wheels build and and installed on the bike. Rims are 30 mm hookless and is bought from a Hong Kong well trusted Ebay seller and I had the hubs already. Rear hub is Hope Pro 2 EVO and the front is the new Pro 4, spokes are Sapim Laser. My rims are not built to be light but stiff and strong for a heavy guy like me, test ride indicates that there is a significant change from my old heavy Marvic CrossRide almost 400 grams heavier.

A few pictures:

Rear wheel

front wheel

Rear hub

Front hub

30 mm hookless

My local bike store who built the wheels were quite impressed by the quality of the rims and also quite surprised of the total cost 

Regards

Karsten

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
Will you be running them tubeless?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

karstenhorn

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:30 AM »
Will you be running them tubeless?

I have considered to try as I have never done that before. Our grounds here are not so hard at the tires and until now I have had about 1 puncture per year as an average so i'm not in a hurry. Especially when reading about all the hassle people have, I think that I will stick to my tubes for now.

Karsten

PeterXu

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:19 AM »
I finally got around to get my new wheels build and and installed on the bike. Rims are 30 mm hookless and is bought from a Hong Kong well trusted Ebay seller and I had the hubs already. Rear hub is Hope Pro 2 EVO and the front is the new Pro 4, spokes are Sapim Laser. My rims are not built to be light but stiff and strong for a heavy guy like me, test ride indicates that there is a significant change from my old heavy Marvic CrossRide almost 400 grams heavier.

A few pictures:

Rear wheel

front wheel

Rear hub

Front hub

30 mm hookless

My local bike store who built the wheels were quite impressed by the quality of the rims and also quite surprised of the total cost 

Regards

Karsten

What width and depth ?  Looks like 30mm width and 23.5mm depth ? What's the inner width ?

karstenhorn

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 01:14:18 AM »
Its a 30 x 25 mm rim and the inner width I cannot remember

aayaats

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 08:29:48 AM »
Hello , I am new to this forum, I am Spanish , sorry for my english. I have a question , I have the fm- 036 frame and can not find the right measure of the upper bearing direction. I be that is 1 1/8 but the lid is lifted me , do not touch the quadro . It is as if the bearing was too high. M'he podiais say the exact size of the bearing?

Now I 've ridden this :

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ritchey/Comp-Cartridge-Drop-In-IS42-28-6-Steuersatz-Oberteil-p41969/

karstenhorn

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
I'm using the headset that Peter from Carbon speed provided when I bought the frame from him. It is maybe not the lightest headset around but it fits perfectly with my fork. I suggest that you get in contact with Peter here at: petercycles@foxmail.com and I'm sure that he can help you out.

Karsten