Author Topic: Workswell WCB-M-078 Plus frame  (Read 20269 times)

bxcc

Workswell WCB-M-078 Plus frame
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
So here is the Workswell / Sobato WCB-M-078 Plus frame. I will be building it as a 29+ so it's in the 29er section. And since all bikes need a name, and "my chubby bike" wasn't quite cutting it, I thought "Muffin Top" would be appropriate.

I ordered the frame from Sobato Bikes on Amazon for $579. The listing stated the frame came with the fork and an email to the seller confirmed this. After placing the order, the seller asked if I was interested in ordering the fork too.  :o  So I sent another email asking why the change and included the original email stating it was included, the responded that night (12 hour time difference) informing me that "their partner" made a mistake but they will honor the email and send the fork. I ordered it on December 18th, it shipped on the 22nd, and I received it on the 30th. Pretty quick shipping.

But there was a problem. The box was pretty rough on one end and looked like it was torn open then taped shut. So I took some pictures and set up my phone to take a video while I opened it. I'm glad I did because when I opened it, there was NO fork in the box. Talk about a WTF moment. So off to the computer I go to send an email asking about my fork. Since no one likes to be accused of things, and I have no idea what happened, I asked about a shipping insurance claims on their end and mentioned I could provide pictures and a video if it would help the claim. They responded that night with "the packager must have made a mistake, we will send a new fork out to you". A couple hours later I got a second email with a tracking number and the fork arrived 9 days. So they took care of the issues, great, it's all I can ask for.

On to the building, everything was going very smooth and appeared to be on par with their 062 frame I have. Fit and finish is 100% but nothing a little clean up won't take care of. Maybe 95% perfect. And then I start to route the rear brake hose through the chainstay. It did not want to go through. It was a dead stop so I knew it wasn't just a tight fit. I take it to work and peak in with a borescope and find some bag or resin residue. Luckily I was able to get in there with a 12" long bit and open it up enough to get the line routed. Yes it's irritating but not nearly as much as sending it back and waiting for another one.

So now the cables are all routed, brakes are installed, and so are the handlebars, fork, rear derailleur, and shifter. I have decided to add some color to this one. I haven't decided on the accent color yet, either orange or purple. I prefer orange so I will go that route unless it just looks off. I apologize for being long winded but I wanted to share the experience. Now for the pictures.

http://postimg.org/image/gtbly1pez/
http://postimg.org/image/7slnv8nol/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:59:55 AM by bxcc »

Izzy

Re: Muffin Top (AKA Workswell WCB-M-078 Plus frame)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the build up and hearing your thoughts on the ride. Need more 29 plus around here, I think it's a great compromise between 29er and fat bikes and I look for it to become a much more popular platform. We'll see, I guess.

Also, Muffin Top is a great name, we should include more nicknames in titles around here would make it easier to navigate and remember various threads/builds. All the numbers get confusing. 

bxcc

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
So the only update I have is cosmetic. Due to the Chinese New Year, my rims are still not finished. So I spent a little time puttering with the decals.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
Cool graphics!

maui400

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:56 AM »
Good looking build. I also like the decals.
I'm glad everything went out well for you in the end. Mistakes can happen on the sellers side. Therefore it's good to hear that there are more companies with descend customer service. Still it is a bit weird that despite your email conversation beforehand your package came without fork  ::) .

Looking forward to read more about your bike.

I'll be also building a 29er with green decals - hopefully within the next two months. Then I'll post my build as well.

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:56 AM »

I'll be also building a 29er with green decals - hopefully within the next two months. Then I'll post my build as well.

Thanks. Which 29er are you going with? If I was to do it over again, I probably would have went with this frame to begin with rather than the 062 mainly because it allows for more configurations. I am really happy and impressed with the 062 but there is a lot of overlap. The 062 is more traditional in looks but realistically there only 4 main differences. 1) HA is about 1 degree steeper with 078, 2) CS length is 10mm longer or 5mm shorter depending on dropout choice, 3) more clearance in the stays, and 4) about 100 grams more in weight. (These numbers are what you get going with the plus bike rather than the 062)

maui400

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
My choice fell on the Dashine frame xcbarny ordered. See "Frame specs for 29er hardtails". I like the geometry, weight and price. Furthermore Dashine has a few more nice parts which I'll buy. Although all their parts on Alibaba seem to be shipped for free.
Anyway it's going to be a race bike, mainly. So no plus version.

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »
Fantastic job on the graphics.  I would totally consider a sticker kit like that for my bike over paint in the future.  You ever consider selling them?

bxcc

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Thanks. I actually have considered it. My brother and sister in law have their own screen printing / embroidery / vinyl business so that makes it a little easier if I wanted to venture down that road. I need to get over to their shop and play with the program a bit to see what I can come up with. For my chiner builds, it all started with GKARTA then spun off from there. I grabbed some extra material and just played around with it a little at a time. Work, kids, skiing and fat bike trail grooming seem to take most of my time lately. It's a rough life.  ;D

groussere

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:18 PM »
Hey bxcc,

Just found this thread on the 29+ frame that you purchased. Any more updates? I'm considering this frame and was impressed with your pictures and logos.

Anyways, can you run and internally routed dropper post with this frame? I don't see any places to route the cable. Could it be possibly run down through the bottom bracket and up the seat tube? This is a deal breaker for me......I don't think I can live without my dropper!

Thanks in advance.

groussere

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »
Sorry again for more questions, but did you order a carbon wheelset to fit this frame? I've seen the 42 or 50 mm sets with boost 110/148 hubs, but haven't heard of anyone trying them. Just wanted some feedback on them. Thanks!

bxcc

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 06:07:48 AM »
I'm not sure about the dropper post. I know there isn't a factory option but like you said, it may run down and around the BB. From there it could go up the downtube and possibly out one of the brake or shifter cable holes. I say possibly because the holes have a cover plate that the cable just fits through. But two cables may fit if you do not use the cover plate. I can do some experimenting when I get home on Sunday but I'm pretty sure you could make something work. To elaborate a little, the cover plates are 2 pieces. One is the cover and one is the base. The base has a oblong hole for the cable and one end has a hole threaded to secure the cover plate. The base is bonded into the frame during the layup process. You can grind or file the base to make the hole bigger to fit two cables. To do this, you will only be filing the aluminum base not the carbon structure so there shouldn't be any safety issues.

All of my wheel parts are ordered but nothing has arrived yet. I opted for the RM950C rims from Peter at XMCarbonspeed. I ordered them a week ago but I haven't gotten any updates yet. Judging by his FB posts of the Taipei bike show, I'm assuming he is there and the rims will have to wait. As for hubs, I went with Hope Pro4 boost hubs in orange. I wanted lime green I9 hubs but I couldn't justify the extra $200 when I have been very happy with my other Hope hubs. So orange it is.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. That's what these forums are for. To help us all blow out disposable and sometimes non-disposable income on bike stuff.

groussere

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 04:40:06 PM »
Thanks bxcc, I see what you mean about the cover plates and possibly fitting 2 cables through them, although it would make me nervous to buy the frame and then find out that it can't be done with an internal dropper post.

It seems like the chinese vendors still aren't up to date on any internal routing for dropper posts, which is unusual. I would think they would be including more for internal posts and less for front derailleurs since that seems to be the trend.

Looking forward to seeing your fully assembled bike with the carbon rims.

bxcc

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 08:11:47 PM »
Orange Hope hubs have arrived and they look pretty sweet. I also ordered some Aerolite spokes instead of DT Comps so that will help save a little over a 100 grams on the wheels. And as far as rims go, I ordered the 50mm rims with reinforced spoke holes from Peter
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:13:02 AM by bxcc »

bxcc

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 08:11:10 AM »
Quick update. Wheels are done! Putting the finishing touches on the bike and might get it out for a bit this week. Will post bike pics later.