Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

Deciding between 057, 256, or 041

<< < (2/7) > >>

Carbon_Dude:
I've been totally satisfied with my CS-057 but I'd take a serious look at the CS-041 if I were to build a new hardtail today.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Oolak on January 18, 2016, 06:15:25 PM ---Did you give consideration to the 062?

--- End quote ---

Honestly, based on his reputation and my own dealings with him, I only looked at Peter's XMCarbonSpeed site. I was actually just looking at the Workswell 062 earlier, and it looks like a pretty good design, but the geometry is Specialized Stumpjumper, not Scott Scale. Since she has and loves the Scale, it makes sense to stick with that. The 062 looks pretty damn good, otherwise.

cmh:
Got pricing from Peter, almost $200 difference between the 041 and the 057. 256 is in the middle, but close enough to the 041 that I think it'll be out of the running. So it sounds like the decision is the lighter but pricier (but still amazingly affordable) 041 vs. the less expensive workhorse 057. Pretty sure there's no wrong answer here, but I think I'll be lobbying for the 041.

Jerryno:
Is 200grams of weight really that much? If I eat a snack or take a dump my weight changes by +-0.5kg.

I always don't get weight weenies that for example are usually running just 3 brake rotor bolts instead of 6 just to save couple of grams. I would always go for safety and durability even if it's a little more weight.

The question I don't know the answer to is the durability of the 057 vs the 041. Searched about it and not much about the 041 out there. I would take the more sturdier frame. And if the more sturdier just happens to be also lighter that would be a bonus for me.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Jerryno on January 19, 2016, 05:36:57 AM ---Is 200grams of weight really that much? If I eat a snack or take a dump my weight changes by +-0.5kg.

I always don't get weight weenies that for example are usually running just 3 brake rotor bolts instead of 6 just to save couple of grams. I would always go for safety and durability even if it's a little more weight.

--- End quote ---

Oh goodie, the age old "take a dump" argument, yay. ;D Half a pound off the bike can make a big difference in how the bike feels vs. half a pound off the rider. It's about the percentages.

It's not that much, no, but my wife likes to ride, and thanks to my influence, she's now a dedicated weight weenie, and if there's weight she doesn't need to be carrying on the bike, then she doesn't want it there. Her current bike is 18lbs with 1x11 and front suspension, so it'd be nice for the backup bike to be somewhere close to that. If saving the 200g makes her happier on the bike, then it's sure as hell worth it. Conversely - if adding weight improves the ride (like a more durable rear tire) then she'll allow that. (if grudgingly) It's about being smart with being light.

re: 3 rotor bolts, funny you say that since I do exactly that on her bike. If 6 bolts is sufficient for a really big guy running 203mm disks on a downhill bike - why is it necessary for a lady half that weight running 160mm rotors on an XC bike? Answer - it's not. She's been running 3 bolts for years now, always installed with blue Loctite 242 and torqued to 6.2Nm, and she's never had any problem through thousands of miles of rides and races. Chasing grams like that is just part of the fun of being a weight weenie, you don't have to understand it.  :D

If you think "yeah but still, 6 bolts are safer", I'll ask why you don't safety wire every bolt on your bike, because that's clearly even more saferer. Maybe apply red Loctite 271 before assembling, then safety wire for the saferest! It's only a little more weight. ;D

--- Quote from: Jerryno on January 19, 2016, 05:36:57 AM ---The question I don't know the answer to is the durability of the 057 vs the 041. Searched about it and not much about the 041 out there. I would take the more sturdier frame. And if the more sturdier just happens to be also lighter that would be a bonus for me.

--- End quote ---

The 057 is well proven as durable under a wide range of riders, and the 041 is still too new, which is why I'll buy it from a reputable vendor like Peter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version