Author Topic: xmiplay warranty?  (Read 7812 times)

anathan

xmiplay warranty?
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:52:17 AM »
Hey all, new to this forum!

I bought a frame and rigid fork last June from XmiPlay (from bert, who was quite nice to work with). Frame came super fast, built up quickly and put about 1000 miles on it.

Then during a ride where my buddies were on cross bikes (so nothing crazy), I thought I had a flat in the rear but it turns out the frame failed at the seatstays/seattube interface. I'm not too heavy (160lbs) and have a dual suspension bike that I do stupid things on :)

Anyway, the IP256 I bought has a 2 year warranty. So I reach out to Bert who was "ready" to ship me a new bike, but as soon as I asked if I had to pay shipping, I've never got another email. Now 3 weeks later (and several emails to Bert), I've still not heard anything.

Has anyone here had any luck warrantying these frames?

(picture of failure here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hmi6y9nf4fpfon/20151214_190739116_iOS.jpg?dl=0)

Jerryno

Re: xmiplay warranty?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:58:36 AM »
You are not the first and will not be last with exactly this failure. I am surprised they still sell this frame.

If contacting the seller does not help you can place a dispute with Paypal and hopefully get a refund for the frame. Then tell everyone how you were treated so nobody or less people will buy from that seller. That's how it works. The price is a lot less but the warranty is questionable.

Next time you buy you should research sellers reputation, for example I know Peter from XmCarbonSpeeds has a stellar reputation.

jwilds1

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
Something to consider - Chinese New Year is February 8th.  Not sure what the norm is as far as holiday/time off is considered.

RS VR6

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:57:07 PM »
Chinese New Year is a bad time to do any kind of business in China.  ::)

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
You are not the first and will not be last with exactly this failure. I am surprised they still sell this frame.

:shrug: I've got 3 of these in the field between myself and my coworkers. All have thousands of miles on them without issue.  I routinely race mine on some very wild terrain.  It's been airborne (though nothing crazy at all) and topped speeds of 45mph.  Still going strong.  I'm not sure if it's nearly as weak as people claim.  I've only seen 2 or 3 frames with any issue at this junction.  Admittedly is probably not the best joint design, buy it gets the job done.

When I first bought the thing I was confident those skinny little seat stays would never last...

But yeah, CS041 looks much improved.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
I would expect to pay shipping on a warranty replacement frame from China, shipping cost is usually not covered by the 2-yr warranty.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Bertzhong

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:35:11 AM »
Hey all, new to this forum!

I bought a frame and rigid fork last June from XmiPlay (from bert, who was quite nice to work with). Frame came super fast, built up quickly and put about 1000 miles on it.

Then during a ride where my buddies were on cross bikes (so nothing crazy), I thought I had a flat in the rear but it turns out the frame failed at the seatstays/seattube interface. I'm not too heavy (160lbs) and have a dual suspension bike that I do stupid things on :)

Anyway, the IP256 I bought has a 2 year warranty. So I reach out to Bert who was "ready" to ship me a new bike, but as soon as I asked if I had to pay shipping, I've never got another email. Now 3 weeks later (and several emails to Bert), I've still not heard anything.

Has anyone here had any luck warrantying these frames?

(picture of failure here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hmi6y9nf4fpfon/20151214_190739116_iOS.jpg?dl=0)

Hi, dear Aaron, how are you ? I know the warranty issue is delay, becasue the factory's technicist should discuss the problem. so sorry about it . but you should tell other guys I have send the new IP-256SL frame yet. and I believe you got it  yet.
Do you mind it ? thanks in advance.

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 05:27:24 AM »
Great service, Bert! Keep on the good work!

Bertzhong

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
Great service, Bert! Keep on the good work!
Hi,MTB2223, how are you ? thanks for your words!! surely I am trying my best to serve for all of you !
Best regards!

Arraider

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
as i can testify Bert/Xmiplay warranty is absolutely 5 stars. Despite all the shit people say about Chinese carbon and Chinese vendors, the product is top notch (and i have a frame, a seatpost and a handlebar)  and the warranty is sublime. It had a flaw of course or there would be no need for a warranty claim, but i see a lot of brand carbon frames fail as well, it simply happens. The most important is the vendor assume it's responsibility.

We could only wish a lot of brands name carbon say the same for their warranties.  8)
Some pictures, a couple of emails exchanged and problem solved.
Could not be more happy.

Thanks Bert  ;D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Always good go hear about a positive experience from one of the vendors that are registered on Chinertown.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Kalash2688

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »
I've ordered three times from Bert Zhong of XMIplay

The first order was the frame IP29

The frame was 100 grams heavier then declared. The frame was also already outdated modification (I was not informed about it in advance). Ok they've agreed that it was their mistake and have gieven me the discount for the next order

The one of items from second order was a seatpost, which came 3k-weave instead of UD and a diameter of 27mm instead of 27.2mm

In the third order, the 620mm handlebar came instead of 600mm

And finally I've got the most disappointing product from XMIplay - the frame IP256sl - very very expensive.
There are 2 major problems with this frame:
1) Internal routing performace is bad. The cable is stuck in the liner and shifting of rear derailleur is too bad. This derailleur works perfectly on another bike, or if I use external routing. Derailleur: SRAM X0 TYPE 2. I've written about this to XMIplay but they do not admit the problem.
2) Front derailleur problem: I have requested XMIplay if there is S1 type front derailleur can be used. They responded that it would fit. I've ordered the derailleur on ebay (no returns auction) and when I got the frame it turned out that it's not compatible.
Then I've tried to install S2 derailleur and I've found out that hanger is not correcly located on the frame, so the front derailleur can not be fitted right.
At last XMIplay stopped responding my emails letting me solve the problems with their products by myself and without offering some compensation.