Author Topic: My 22lb trail *-057 singlespeed - build notes, parts spreadsheet, etc  (Read 3126 times)

IoC

Hey folks,

This site was helpful in both researching frames and getting some questions answered so I wrote up a blog post on the whole bike at http://unweight.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-black-bike.html. It's not ultralight - I live and ride in a rough place - so it's built to be more fun and durable than weight-conscious.

Obligatory pic:

Summary:

• 22lb singlespeed hardtail with durable components, a dropper, wide bar/short stem, a 68-degree HT angle and a 120mm fork
    I can't speak for all the Chinese carbon frames (I wouldn't dare try the ultralight), but this one is legit, well made, easy to work with and the customer support was very good (Peter is the man!)
  • If you get one of these frames, the first thing you should do is remove the rear dropouts and Loctite their bolts
  • http://bit.ly/1VpJFzY - Spreadsheet with all parts and where to get them.

Carbon_Dude

Re: My 22lb trail *-057 singlespeed - build notes, parts spreadsheet, etc
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
Totally agree about the Loctite, that is an absolute must do when building up any of the Chiner frames.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

xcbarny

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
Good job. I hope to be building a Chiner SS soon using an Origin8 EBB. I just need a frame.
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

IoC

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:09:41 AM »
Good job. I hope to be building a Chiner SS soon using an Origin8 EBB. I just need a frame.

Enjoy, hit me up here if you have any questions.

I debated the Origin8 EBB vs. Beer EBB vs. Wheels EBB and the Wheels won out pretty quickly in every area except price. If you Google around, you'll find them cheaper than list price...I think mine was $85.

Rationale:

* Bearings. Origin8 uses mystery meat, but Wheels is up front about Enduro (quality) angular contact (better press system, less creaks)
* Bolts. Origin8 uses something tiny, maybe a 3 or 4mm head, and again doesn't specify. Wheels specifies M6 bolts and they have a 5mm head, so it's easy to get up to the necessary torque (7-9nm) without risking stripping them.
* Support. Can't find anything on Origin8's site, but Wheels has their instructions, torque specs, and warnings right up front. They also include multiple sets of bolts and shims to support the various BB shell widths.
* Seals. Couldn't see what the Origin8 used, but the Wheels showed external rubber seals that I can quickly slip off, clean, grease a bit, and slip back on (with crank removed).

xcbarny

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
Cheers. I already have the Origin8 EBB, so will see how it goes. I was on a bit of a budget, and this came out at half the price of anything else I could find, though $85 for the wheels one is good.

I figure if the bearings are no good then I'll just get some Enduros to go into it. I'd actually have preferred an EBB with a BSA thread in it, so that I could fit my spare Chris King BB to it, but the only one I could find was by Niner, for a niner specific shell size.
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

IoC

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »
I'd actually have preferred an EBB with a BSA thread in it, so that I could fit my spare Chris King BB to it, but the only one I could find was by Niner, for a niner specific shell size.

100% agreed. I've already had to pull this one once, regrease it, and put it back in. Lots of snow/wet conditions over the past month...