Author Topic: Dealing with BB Squeak  (Read 4450 times)

DirtyForks

Dealing with BB Squeak
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
It may already be discussed in a thread on here so apologies if it is.

My brother advised me that the BB pressed systems can often lead to squeaking over time. Does anyone know if there is a solution or fix for this, either in advance or "post squeak"or is this a risk I have to take if the frame I am interested uses one of these systems?

Carbon_Dude

Re: Dealing with BB Squeak
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
For me the easy fix was to purchase a frame with a threaded bottom bracket.  I don't care for any of the press fit versions.  So far the only creaking I have had was easily fixed by re-greasing the BB.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

DirtyForks

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
Man...I'm really loving the look of that 041 though.

Guess that's why you went with the 057? I'm taking my time before pulling the trigger on a chiner as I can't afford to build a bike twice. How's your 057 holding out? I'm not very aggressive with my rides so they shouldn't go through the stresses that most out there put them through. I'm having a challenge deciding between the 041, MB01 or 057. I think the 057 is on sale.

If I knew the 041 would hold out, I'd go that way. Mind you...I'm a
little concerned about that seat bar/post issue that just came up. Hopefully it's nothing more than it not having been inserted deep enough.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
My -057, like almost every one of those sold, has been bullet proof. I treat the bike right but our trails here are more than XC, lots of rocks, roots, long up hills, and fast down hills.

I check over the frame before I ride but haven't seen any surface cracks at all.  I treat my bike well, I don't pound on it, I want to get through my ride without breaking anything.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »
It may already be discussed in a thread on here so apologies if it is.

My brother advised me that the BB pressed systems can often lead to squeaking over time. Does anyone know if there is a solution or fix for this, either in advance or "post squeak"or is this a risk I have to take if the frame I am interested uses one of these systems?

Every bottom bracket design can squeak. Common misconception that press fit designs squeak more. I've had many, many bikes with threaded, and have several bikes with various press-fit BBs. BB92, PF30, some Trek variant that is sorta like BB92, couple others.

What folks forget is that there are this many BB standards simply because the old BSA standard isn't perfect and some of the initial alternatives were to address those shortcomings. Even CD says "So far the only creaking I have had was easily fixed by re-greasing the BB."

The BB area has a tough job in an area that's subject to dirt, dust, water, and junk, so just about every design can have issues. I do all our bike maintenance and keep things in good shape, and have actually had more BSA BBs which creaked or made noise than any other design, but that's just a factor of having more BSA BBs since I started riding in '85. Yeah, I'm old.

Short answer? Don't worry about a press fit BB, just take care of the bike. If you want a bike whose BB never creaks, assemble it and don't ride it.  ;D

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
I didn't experience any squeak after about two years with 3 pressed BB(PF30).
But I did put a fair amount of Loctite 641 each time.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
CMH, you are probably right in that all BB standards can creak or make some noise.  I guess I'm just a fan of my BSA threaded bottom brackets because they are easy to service.  I like that I can get out my spanner wrench and spin off the BB bearing, clean, re-grease and reassemble without the need of any other press fit tools.  I guess I am heavily biased since that's all I've really owned are threaded bottom bracket designs.  Someday I may be stuck with a new frame that's only available in PF30, BB92, or some other new BB design but for now I am content with being able to simply thread in the bearings.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Viperdriver

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
BSA is where it's at.  If you have someone who builds and maintains your bike for you, pressfit might....might be worth it. 

I have both pressfit and BSA.

xcbarny

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »

How easy is it to remove? I have a BB that I used Loctite 609 on which I need to remove.

Think I may have to heat it up first?
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 04:19:53 AM »
I removed the BB out of my 256 to put it in the 062.
I got it out quite easily just hitting it gently on the stand, with a hammer using a piece of wood with the right surface area.
Causing probably a mechanical fatigue of the Loctite by the vibrations.

bxcc

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 05:04:10 AM »

How easy is it to remove? I have a BB that I used Loctite 609 on which I need to remove.

Think I may have to heat it up first?

Be VERY careful if you use heat. The heat will cause the Loctite to become brittle and break which is a good thing. But it can do the same to the epoxy used in your frame.