Author Topic: Chinese vendors and their shipping times  (Read 7946 times)

bxcc

Chinese vendors and their shipping times
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
So far I have made a bunch of purchases from Chinese vendors. Not all of them have been carbon but they have all been bike related. I have had great luck so far with pretty quick shipping. My first purchase was from Nextie a few years back and it took roughly 2 weeks to ship but I was informed before ordering that they were not in stock and it would take a couple of weeks. After that, they arrived in less than 2 weeks. Both of my Workswell frames have arrived within 2 weeks of ordering, they did forget to include a fork but that was at my door a week later. Handlebars from Workswell on a separate order took about 2 weeks to ship and 3 weeks to arrive. I think those got hung up in customs according to the tracking locations. All of my other smaller purchases like aluminum stems and handlebars for my daughter’s bikes have always shown up within 3 weeks or so. Not all of them were tracked so it is hard to tell when they were actually shipped. So overall I have been happy with the shipping times.

But now I am getting a little concerned. I first contacted the seller just before the Chinese new year and I said I would wait until after the holiday. The following Friday that they were back to work, I placed my order. That was on Feb 26th and the items still haven’t shipped. I waited 12 days and then contacted the seller on March 9th  which was a Wednesday. I was told that they just moved to a new office and they would be shipped on Monday or Tuesday. So I waited until Wednesday to contact the seller again. This time I was told “Sorry, too busy, your rims will be ready today and ship tomorrow” (this was 9am their local time on Thursday). I asked for a tracking number when they were shipped and he agreed. Come Friday morning at 9 (9pm their time) I sent another message asking if they had any luck getting it shipped. And, no response. This is all via FB messenger so I can see that the message was read shortly after sending it.

So all of that being said, how would you forum members proceed with this and what have you been experiencing with shipping times?

karstenhorn

Re: Chinese vendors and their shipping times
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »
1 month and not even shipped yet despite lots of promises - I would inform them that they have until end of Monday to provide me with a valid tracking number or I will take contact to my CC company/PayPal and start a claim for fraudulent behaviour.

Watch out, soon it is too late to file a claim !

Karsten

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:50:45 PM »
Who is the seller?  I think it's too bad they need to make promise after promise to ship an item rather than just tell you the truth and let you know that your item is still 1-2 weeks away from shipping.  I feel an honest answer that you don't like is better in the long run than telling you what you want to hear and then not delivering on that promise.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
The items finally shipped and I received a good tracking number. I didn't post who the seller was because I was hoping to get it resolved without bad mouthing anybody.  I agree that a non-preferred answer is better than an incorrect one and telling someone you will get it shipped and not following through on that statement more than once is not a good way to keep customers. I try to be understanding and sometimes things come up, but I was getting a little concerned this time.

And to keep on track of the first part of this thread, 22 days from payment to shipment. Actually 21.5 days if you factor in time differences. Now i just hope customs doesn't hold on to them for a week or two.

maui400

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:52:55 AM »
Glad to hear that the items are finally shipped. I'm currently making similar experiences. I ordered part for my new bike from several chinese sellers. From Dashine I've ordered my frame and bar. They arrived about 8 days later which is amazing. Same happened with my fork. I got it about one week later. Crank and hubs are on their way. But my rims aren't even shipped yet. I ordered them from XMcarbonspeed over two weeks ago and they aren't even shipped yet. When I asked (twice) when they will be shipped I got no answer. So I hope there's still hope that I will get my rims...

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »
Glad to hear that the items are finally shipped. I'm currently making similar experiences. I ordered part for my new bike from several chinese sellers. From Dashine I've ordered my frame and bar. They arrived about 8 days later which is amazing. Same happened with my fork. I got it about one week later. Crank and hubs are on their way. But my rims aren't even shipped yet. I ordered them from XMcarbonspeed over two weeks ago and they aren't even shipped yet. When I asked (twice) when they will be shipped I got no answer. So I hope there's still hope that I will get my rims...

Have you had any communication from Peter since you placed the order? Which rims did you order? Maybe they were not in stock at the time, but it would be really helpful if that was mentioned so you would have known about the wait.

maui400

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
Yes I did have contact. I asked about a tracking number. He said the rims were not shipped yet. To my question (which I asked twice) when they would be shipped I didn't get a reply.  :-\

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
The items come in general, especially if you buy them from a reputable seller from this forum like Peter.
It is probably just a cultural difference between our way of communicating/doing business and theirs.
If I was you, I would stop worrying and patiently wait.

bxcc

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Yes I did have contact. I asked about a tracking number. He said the rims were not shipped yet. To my question (which I asked twice) when they would be shipped I didn't get a reply.  :-\

I think Carbonazza is probably right. I did get a response although it was just another delay but it was eventually shipped and I guess that is all that really matters (within reason of course). It's tough to be patient when someone has a few hundred dollars of yours and you are getting the run around on shipping. It definitely doesn't leave you with the "warm fuzzy" feeling.

It's great if he is just really busy but telling customers before hand might help a bit.

maui400

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 04:32:12 AM »
Yeah, you are indeed right!  ;) Communication is very cultural dependent. This is a good example. Plus I am not the most patient guy. Especially if I spend loads of money. But if I know what to expect I'm calmer and more patient.
Anyways, I finally got an answer. The items are shipped and I have my tracking number plus pictures which I don't want to hide from you :D. Incredible weights! I asked for lighter samples, but I couldn't imagine they would be that light!  8)  (I hope they last...)

HR928C rear

HR927C front
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:38:21 AM by maui400 »

bxcc

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
So to update the thread,
21 days to ship
5 days to arrive

Everything looks good and as expected. The weights of 510 and 490 aren't nearly as light as Maui's but considering they are 50mm wide, I will take it.

The purpose of this thread wasn't to bash any vendors, it was mainly to share experiences so other people have an idea on what to expect. But yes, my anxiety about the shipping time is what prompted the idea. Overall, I have been pleased with this latest transaction and I will definitely buy from Peter at XMCarbonspeed again. I will probably be a little more patient next time though...  ;D

karstenhorn

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
For me good communication is so very important and it goes both ways. I fully understand the difference in culture and respect/honesty is the keyword, if someone I buy from keep coming back with "good" excuses why my stuff have not shipped I have shopped there for the last time. I prefer no good news instead of lame excuses and that proves to me that the seller is at least honest.

BTW Peter was indeed good at communicating and that was the reason why I bought my frame from him and that's the reason why I will buy my carbon rims from him very soon   :D

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »
Has anyone else experienced customs delays in the US? My frame cleared in 2-3 days, but today marks a week since my wheels have been there. Peter tells me most arrive in 8-9 days, 15 at the most. I know I'm still in that window, I'm just anxious to ride! Frame is built up and this is all that is left...