Author Topic: Design flaw/quality issue IP-036  (Read 11095 times)

Patrick C.

Re: Design flaw/quality issue IP-036
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
McMaster Carr has them, around $4 per set.  There should be a similar industrial supply website in other countries.  Also try searching for "binding posts".

These are in inch sizes, so you'd need the 5/16" (7.94 mm) OD barrels.  They have 3/4", 7/8", and 1" lengths (19, 22, and 25 mm).   You may need to grind down the end or put a washer under the head to get the correct length.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sex-bolts/=12lhuor

karstenhorn

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 03:07:03 AM »
McMaster Carr has them, around $4 per set.  There should be a similar industrial supply website in other countries.  Also try searching for "binding posts".

These are in inch sizes, so you'd need the 5/16" (7.94 mm) OD barrels.  They have 3/4", 7/8", and 1" lengths (19, 22, and 25 mm).   You may need to grind down the end or put a washer under the head to get the correct length.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sex-bolts/=12lhuor

Thanks for the tip and btw they could also be used for the rear shock mounting bolts(longer version). Do anyone have experience if they are precision made or if there are tolerances to be expected ?

As a matter of fact the rear shock bolts that came with my 036 was completely useless as they were about 4 mm too short - I solved that issue buying some bolts for a Ghost frame via Bike24.com

Karsten

carbonazza

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 03:31:31 AM »
Hello Karsten,
Could you please post the link from bike24.com ?
Thanks.

karstenhorn

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 04:30:01 AM »
Hello Karsten,
Could you please post the link from bike24.com ?
Thanks.

Sure, this kit fits in the 036 linkage together with my Manitou rear shock - I had to arjust the length of the bushing bolts a bit but no big deal: https://www.bike24.de/p1133690.html

Karsten

carbonazza

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
Thanks. It is strange that nobody had this issue before.
I just ordered a 036 for my brother, so I'll order this with all the pieces, and return it if not needed.

Patrick C.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
Karsten-
Sorry, no idea how tight their tolerances are.  My guess is that on the diameter they are fairly good (+/-0.25 mm?) but I would be looking for a backup plan until I got the bolts. :)

OffRoadTriGuy

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
Im thinking of getting a 036 soon. Which bolts did you end up buying? And

I just ordered a 036 for my brother, so I'll order this with all the pieces, and return it if not needed.

Did you need the new bolts? Was the frame bolts still too small?

karstenhorn

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »
Im thinking of getting a 036 soon. Which bolts did you end up buying? And

Did you need the new bolts? Was the frame bolts still too small?

If you are not a very light person or if you ride the 036 like it is intended to be - You should reconsider your choice of frame. In my opinion the flex in the rear triangle is just too much.

Karsten

turboenterprise

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
Did you find a place to get new bushing bolts? I snapped the head off the small screw on mine. Peter says they don't have them anymore. 

adbl

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
Hey people, i have been following this thread for a while now and i have some thoughts that I'd like to share. I bought a CS-057 hardtail from Peter. Upon deciding what frame to build (i already have a Giant FS 26er) i relied a ton posts here on Chinertown. I bought the CS-057 mostly based on the fact it was my first China frame and didn't know what to expect. I figured a hardtail would be a safer choice.

It is apparent the quality control of the FS frames is not up to name brand specs. Yes, the frame designs and geometry are more in step with what's going on in the industry but there is a reason these Chinese frames are a fraction of the cost as name brands. The quality control just isn't there. With FS frames there are numerous connection points and the issues are not with the hardware it's with the consistency of the carbon construction. There is no way in hell these manufacturers are going to hand fit bolts to go with each individual frame. They are going to supply you with the hardware that should fit. If it doesn't it's because of the variances in the layup process.

So, having said all of that, my suggestion to anyone buying a FS China frame would be to totally take apart the frame, inspect the suspension points and be prepared to custom fit all of the hardware yourself. If you feel you don't have the knowledge or tools or ability to perform this work yourself then DO NOT buy a China FS frame. Plain and simple!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:12:56 AM by adbl »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I had an IP-036 for nearly 3 years, put several hundred miles on the frame, sold it about a year ago, and it's still going strong with the second owner.  The frame only cost $700, not $3,000 like the big brand frames so for me, spending 1/4 the cost and still getting a decent frame that didn't give me any troubles was worth the effort.  Not saying there haven't been some buyers that haven't been 100% happy with the IP-036 but my experience was a positive one.  The only reason I sold my IP-036 and IP-056 was I wanted something different that, at the time, wasn't offered in a Chinese frameset.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA