Author Topic: Carbon Integrated Handlebar for MTB  (Read 3247 times)

dox

Carbon Integrated Handlebar for MTB
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
I was considering an integrated stem/handle bar with an 9 degree sweep back and 8 degree rise.  Does anyone have experience with these.  I am a big guy at 6'2" 225.  I would love to try one.  I ride cross country and trails with little jumps and stumps.  It looks awesome but I can understand that they can be brittle and snap.  Would being integrated help strengthen it?  What reputable companies make these so as to compare them?   thanks

xcbarny

Re: Carbon Integrated Handlebar for MTB
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:48:46 PM »
I started a thread about them a while back. Doesn't seem like many people have tried them:

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,805.0.html

Have you seen them with 9 deg sweep? I'd like that, but haven't found a place that lists the sweep. I'd be keen on one less that 250g  (80mm x 5 deg rise, 680mm x 9 deg sweep) - but would need top be a reputable company
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

Viperdriver

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:59 PM »
Seems light but a stem and bar are lighter. No adjustment makes it a deal breaker. You'll twist your bar in the stem to make it just right. This setup doesn't allow it. Looks cool but isn't lightest or that useful.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
I've seen enough mentions of broken handlebars on here that the combo of a 225lb rider and a chinese bar/stem combo kinda terrifies me.

Bars from reputable sellers like Peter have broken (see my comment on xcbarny's link above) and a $42 set of no-name bars on aliexpress... *shivers*

The only name brand I could find that does integrated bars and stems is Ritchey. None of the others seem to do it - no idea if it's because it locks in your geometry and allows no customization, or if there are any other reasons that the big names don't do it... but they don't. Even the weight weenie parts on Fairwheel Bikes doesn't have any integrated, and that's where I'd expect it the most - the niche builders of the superlightweight stuff.

So yeah, I'd suggest a huge amount of caution.

johnnydamage

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:54:47 PM »
ordered a set today. so we will have to see. anyone try any yet? thanks!

Tom

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:50:29 AM »
here is mine, 

made by a friend who use to work on broken carbon frames

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
Nice !
This prototype testing may be more dangerous than a cassette  ;)

It is funny the effort to make it the same shape as a classic stem + bar.
On my Canyon, it is totally flat, and seems more of a one piece.

johnnydamage

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »
nice thanks for posting. look light too. how has it performed?

deezums

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
Nice !
This prototype testing may be more dangerous than a cassette  ;)

It is funny the effort to make it the same shape as a classic stem + bar.
On my Canyon, it is totally flat, and seems more of a one piece.

I wonder if it's effort, or just using a standard alloy stem/bar as the mold?

Still very cool!

Tom

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:35 AM »
nice thanks for posting. look light too. how has it performed?
Not ridden yet, very disappointed with weight & overall finish. So I send it back to make it rebuild lighter & thinner.

Calvino

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
got oldschool style XC bars with 100mm stemlength and 600mm barwidth. But i will change to 120mm soon. Works just fine, but mine had two holes on the backside for a garmin mount or sth, so if you want to flip the whole thing, you have to cover up the holes(did it with carbon vinyl wrap). It had the same sweep and angle like you described, so not really all that good for uphill. Im used to slammed -17° stems on my roadbike, so it feels very unefficient and strange if i use it for steep climbs. But held up quite well so far, no creeks, no cracks and still probably lighter than handlebar and stema combinations. Also the middle is aero shaped ^^

munkey_bwy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 07:05:19 AM »
I've been running a Toseek combined bar / stem 70mm long purely for cross country and its been great, no sign of any weakness & very light. The only downside is the lack of adjustability.