Author Topic: Help with ICAN P8 build - Part selection  (Read 3330 times)

Janz99

Help with ICAN P8 build - Part selection
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »
Hey guys, I am in the middle of building up an Ican P8 and would love some suggestions for the remaining parts I need to finish the build.  This is my first time building a bike from scratch and will be my first full suspension bike. 

For the most part I ride alot of single track trails. I can see hard pack, loose dirt, rooty and rocky all in the same trail.  There are no majour down hills around here but I would like to do a little traveling this summer to a few dedicated bike parks. 

This is what I have so far:
-Ican P8 frame
-Manitou Mcleod rear shock
-Ican AM275-40 wheel set
-Shimano XT 1x drivetrain and derailure
-Shimano XT 160mm front and rear brakes
-Shimano XT 170mm crank set

As the bike sits right now:

Parts still needed:
-Front fork
-Stem
-Handle bars and grips
-Front and rear tires
-Dropper seat post
-Seat

Fork - I am looking at the Manitou Mattoc comp fork.  I would love to make the jump to the Pro level fork, but im not sure its in the budget right now.  What do you guys think of this fork?

Stem - One of the raceface options.  Im not really sure which to choose or how long of a stem should be ordered

Handle bar/grips, seat, and dropper seat post - Open to suggestions

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Large Ican P8, Dropper Post and Manitou Shock For Sale

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1588.0.html

lRaphl

Re: Help with ICAN P8 build - Part selection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
If you're on a budget, you can go with the ChainReactionCycle Brand-X Ascend dropper. If you're ready to put a little bit more money, you can get the Marzocchi Transfer post. This is the exact same post as the Fox Transfer Performance post but for a lot less money (Fox owns Marzocchi). This is the move I've done last fall.

https://www.bike-components.de/fr/Marzocchi/Transfer-Intern-Performance-Elite-125-mm-Sattelstuetze-Modell-2017-p61669/

For the stem, Kalloy Uno 7 stems from Ebay are the best bang for $. And they are also light and strong. Something in the range of 50mm or 60mm.

My choice for handlebar is MTZoom. You can buy them at xcracer.com and I would get a 760mm unless you're really small.

For the seat, you clearly need to find one that your but likes. It's so personnal that it's hard to suggest anything. WTB Silverado and Volt are what works best for me but lots of people don't like them.

Tires are also personnal. Your location and riding style will dictate what you want. But for trail riding, you can look for those:
-Maxxis Chronicle (XC/Trail)
-Maxxis Ikon+ (XC/Trail)
-Maxxis Rekon+  (Trail/All mountain)
-Maxxis DHF Plus (All mountain/Down Hill)
-Maxxis DHR II Plus (All mountain/Down Hill)
-Schwalbe nobby nic  (Trail/All mountain)
-Schwalbe Rocket Ron (XC/Trail)

Hope this help a bit.

Good luck! :)

samroy92

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »

As the bike sits right now:

I can't see the picture :(

R_Pierce

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
-Front fork - Manitou Mattoc hands down (I still think you should shoot for the Pro version, its a fork that you will have for YEARS to come)
-Stem - Personal preference here but I go with the shortest stem that you can.  Closer it is to the steerer tube the more control you have IMO.  I would go with a 30 or 40mm but definitely nothing longer than 50mm.  I have a renthal stem, but my next one will likely be an Answer stem (Im a Hayes fanboi)
-Handle bars and grips - Again, anything will work here.  Look for at least a 20mm rise.  760mm minimum width IMO.  I run 785 and wont go any narrower.  Personally run carbon Raceface SixC bars.  Next ones will be Protaper bars from Answer.  Grips I like the ESI rubber grips.  But plan to try and new ODI Gwin grips.
-Front and rear tires - since you went with 40mm rims, you will need to go with plus tires here.  I am/was a Maxxis fan (Minion DHR/DHF) but decided to get some Michelin tires this time around (standard 27.5 though)  I can say that I was not happy with my Schwalbe Nobby Nics.  Both in the amount of tire roll and the tread life.
-Dropper seat post - The TransX is a nice piece if on a budget.  Or the new Manitou Jack (this will be what I get next, but again, Im a fanboi)
-Seat - WTB saddle of any type.  Just get the width that fits your sit bones.  Im running a WTB Team edition Titanium rail saddle right now.  And love it.