Author Topic: New Build - Crowdsource Forum Project  (Read 9961 times)

Rigid_Bloke

Re: New Build - Crowdsource Forum Project
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:12 AM »
^^ Looks like it really only takes a front triangle design cue from the Enduro. Slightly longer chainstays and slightly steeper headtube angle can change the ride quite a bit, I assume? Not necessarily a bad thing, may actually make it a better, more all rounded selection for this build.

So.. if this really is going to be a true crowd sourced project, which I think would be an interesting but difficult thing to pull off, I put my vote in for this frame!

doaskid

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Agreed on the front triangle.

As soon as you put the two Geo's up against each other you can start to see the difference.

We have got to be realistic, this is not an Enduro OEM this looks like a design copy with an attempt at a mass appeal Geo (albeit subjective on the appeal).

We should christen it CHINDURO  ::)

I think for the crowdsourcing idea, its more about finding general consensus for parts, build and price of.

I believe people genuinely want to hear sound reasoning behind component selection without having to go through hundreds of threads and thousands of words.

As CD said - it's nothing new, but as least everyone here will get an equal shout and a chance to "find" components worthy of discussion at the very least - only if they choose, nothing is mandatory.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
In my opinion, and this is just from what I know of current component offerings and those I've used, this would be my component selection if I were to build another FS bike from the ground up:

1)  Brakes - Shimano XT or XTR
2)  Shifter, Cranks, Bottom Bracket, Chain, Rear Derailleur, Cassette - SRAM XX1
3)  Fork - Rockshock SID World Cup w/remote
4)  Rear Shock - Monarch XX w/ XLoc Full Sprint remote (locks both front and rear)
5)  Wheels - Chinese Carbon Hookless 30mm
6)  Seat - WTB Laser
7)  Bars & Seatpost - Chinese Carbon
8)  Frame - Chinese Carbon of your choice
9)  Grips - Thinking I might try some Richey WCS Foam (or similar)
10) Tires - GEAX Saguaro or Maxxis Ardent
11)  Pedals - Eggbeater 3 or Ti
12) Stem - Easton EA90 or EC90 or Thomson Elite
13) Headset - Order with the frame or Cane Creek brand
14) Seatpost clamp - Thomson Elite 
15) Cables come with the shifter
16) Grease - Park Tools Polylube or similar
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

doaskid

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »
A few Bundle ideas snagged from a "build your own 29er" site here in the UK

Prices are in UK pounds

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:48:13 PM by doaskid »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »
5k chiner hardtail build? It's XX1 all the way. I think that would definitely be the consensus. The XX1 package looks like it contains all the right high end components. Only problem I potentially see is that I can't imagine having a 5k XX1 hardtail chiner and not have carbon rims. That's $3780 for the XX1 package for those too lazy to do the conversion. I'd say a fair price considering all you're getting.. but then add in the carbon hoops and the cost to have them laced to your Hope hubs and that's another $500.

Oolak

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Cool thread.

Really interested in this frame - never seen it before. Anybody know of any builds using it, or have any other type of info on it?

Andy

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
That is an incredibly helpful opinion on how the bike should be built.  Thanks Carbon Dude!
Andy. :)

In my opinion, and this is just from what I know of current component offerings and those I've used, this would be my component selection if I were to build another FS bike from the ground up:

1)  Brakes - Shimano XT or XTR
2)  Shifter, Cranks, Bottom Bracket, Chain, Rear Derailleur, Cassette - SRAM XX1
4)  Rear Shock - Monarch XX w/ XLoc Full Sprint remote (locks both front and rear)
6)  Seat - WTB Laser
7)  Bars & Seatpost - Chinese Carbon
9)  Grips - Thinking I might try some Richey WCS Foam (or similar)
10) Tires - GEAX Saguaro or Maxxis Ardent
11)  Pedals - Eggbeater 3 or Ti
12) Stem - Easton EA90 or EC90 or Thomson Elite

jonxmack

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
My take on the list

1)  Brakes - SRAM X0 Trail
6)  Seat - Your choice
7)  Bars & Seatpost - Thomson
9)  Grips - ESI Foams
10) Tires - I like Schwalbe but it's up to you, Maxxis great, Kenda great, loads of good tyres
11)  Pedals - Time Atac
12) Stem - Thomson Elite
Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

ponderosa

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
Great thread,   I'm going build a FS Chiner very soon.  The parts lists from you who have built them already are super helpful!

1.  Any observations on differences between the 036 and 098?  (seem to be the 2 to pick from)

2.  What do you all think of the Cane Creek DBInline on one of these?  http://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/dbinline

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
I may modify my list a bit more after riding my FS Chiner for about 5 months now.  I'm pretty happy with the Fox CTD w/remote Fork and Fox CTD BV w/remote rear shock once I got my Scott Twin-Loc lever installed.  The main difference between the Fox setup and the Rockshox setup is the partial lock, or trail setting offered by the CTD system.  It's nice to have a suspension mode that's not totally locked out or totally open.  So if I had it to do again, I would not change much else.

As for the IP-036 vs the IP-098:

IP-036 --> XC/Trail (110mm travel)
IP-098 --> Enduro/Downhill (140mm travel)

At least that's near as I can tell as there are not many trading companies selling the IP-098.  Also, the IP-098 seems like it has a shorter wheelbase in the pictures, but I haven't seen the geometry specs for it.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ponderosa

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Your right:

098  has 1255
036 has  1132

(19" model)

cmh

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
While the frame is visually copied from the Enduro, no doubt, don't forget that the Chiner frame is not a Horst link, with pivots above the rear axle on the "seat stays" and the rear axle on the chainstays, whereas the Enduro with the Horst link has the pivot on the "chain stay" and the axle on the seat stays. From what I remember of suspension technology, that makes the Chiner frame a 4-bar/swingarm design while the Specialized is the aforementioned Horst link.