Author Topic: 057 Questions  (Read 2022 times)

nctrail4r

057 Questions
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
    Considering an 057 for an XC / Gravel / Monstercross bike.  Currently have a cross bike for gravel rides, but like the idea of being able to run larger tires for rougher routes (CX bike limit is around 40mm width).  I like that the 057 has been tried and tested over the years - gives me a little more confidence. 

Have a few questions about setup and was hoping you could help me out.

-I see a lot of pictures with 1x or 2x setups.  I need a wide range of gearing to use on pavement/gravel.  Can I run an XT triple ring crankset? 
    -What do you think the max tooth count is for the big ring without getting too close to the chainstays? 
    -What seat collar did you use?  Is the diameter required to clear their carbon a proprietary size?
    -Did your frame come with tubing in place for the internal cable routing?  Seems like some do and some don't?
    -Is there a special dimension for minimum insert on the seatpost, or should the markings on the post be sufficient?
    -What size rotors are the post mounts set for with no adapter - 160mm?
    -Anyone riding their standard carbon QR fork FK023 and any issues with it?
    -Any special setup tricks or tips for things that you needed to buy for the build?[/li]

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:28:26 AM by nctrail4r »

Carbon_Dude

Re: 057 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
    Considering an 057 for an XC / Gravel / Monstercross bike.  Currently have a cross bike for gravel rides, but like the idea of being able to run larger tires for rougher routes (CX bike limit is around 40mm width).  I like that the 057 has been tried and tested over the years - gives me a little more confidence. 

Have a few questions about setup and was hoping you could help me out.

-I see a lot of pictures with 1x or 2x setups.  I need a wide range of gearing to use on pavement/gravel.  Can I run an XT triple ring crankset? 
Sure, no reason why you could not run a triple chain ring.  Most people just don't since 3X is no longer preferred.

-What do you think the max tooth count is for the big ring without getting too close to the chainstays? 
Hard to say since I haven't seen anyone do a build with a triple chain ring on a -057, but since the large ring on a is space out, I would assume you can at least run a standard 3X setup, probably larger.

-What seat collar did you use?  Is the diameter required to clear their carbon a proprietary size? 
Peter usually throws in a clamp for the CS-057, I know the seat post is 31.6 but understand the OD of the tube varies by frame model.  I've not measured the OD of the seat tube in the clamp area, maybe someone else can measure it and post, I don't have access to my frame at the moment.

-Did your frame come with tubing in place for the internal cable routing?  Seems like some do and some don't?
The CS-057 that Peter sells comes with internal lines to run cables for the front and rear derailleurs (bare cable only, no external housing in the frame, you just put a ferrule at each end.  For the brake lines, of course you run those rear straight through but there is a liner there for routing.  It's really easy if you start from the rear exit for the the cable/hose and feed the line up toward the head tube.

-Is there a special dimension for minimum insert on the seatpost, or should the markings on the post be sufficient?
That's on the seat post.  However, I would make sure the post goes below the junction of the top tube/seat stays.

-What size rotors are the post mounts set for with no adapter - 160mm?
On the frame, the rear is setup for a 160mm rotor, if you go larger you will need to buy a caliper mounting spacer.

-Anyone riding their standard carbon QR fork FK023 and any issues with it?
Don't have a carbon fork.

-Any special setup tricks or tips for things that you needed to buy for the build?[/li][/list]
There are -057 build threads in the 29er forum, I wrote quite an extensive build thread complete with tools, grease, etc.  Just do a search.

Thanks in advance!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

nctrail4r

Re: 057 Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
Great - thanks for the responses.  I've searched around, but I'll look for your write up as well.