Author Topic: Question about BB....which one should I go with for my new build?  (Read 2421 times)

Julian813

Hello, looking to build my 1st chinese carbon 29er and I am confused about the bottom bracket. Am I better to go with BSA or BB30? I am looking to use most of the parts of my current build so I want to make sure I choose correctly. I currently have FSA MegaEXO Sealed external bearing, 68mm. I am looking to go with Flyxii Fr-202 which comes with 73mm BSA or BB30.

Which would be better for me? Thanks in advance.

Carbon_Dude

Re: Question about BB....which one should I go with for my new build?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
BSA would always be my choice, if your cranks have a 24mm spindle you should be good to go.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Julian813

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
BSA would always be my choice, if your cranks have a 24mm spindle you should be good to go.

Thanks!

Giraffoto

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
BSA would always be my choice . . .

Similarly, BSA. It still comes with the fewest questions about compatibility (30mm, 24mm, square taper, ISIS and Octalink will all fit) and is still probably the easiest to install, uninstall and make creak-free.

RS VR6

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
Another vote for BSA. Requires nothing more than a $10 tool to install it.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
Not to start a religious war, or contradict the old guard, but the PF30 and BB92 of my bikes work perfectly.
Changing the bearings are easy with a cheap M16 bolt, and without risk of cross threading.
I have BSA friends who creaks while mines don't.

The only thing I wouldn't do again, is to choose a 30mm axle with a BB92.
The bearings are too small and not standard.

cmh

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
Not to start a religious war, or contradict the old guard, but the PF30 and BB92 of my bikes work perfectly.
Changing the bearings are easy with a cheap M16 bolt, and without risk of cross threading.
I have BSA friends who creaks while mines don't.

This, exactly. I haven't used BB30 yet but have run PF30 and BB92 (and Trek's variation of it, BB something or other) and have no complaints. Routine maintenance it necessary for any BB standard. The whole reason we have new standards is because the old ones would creak after enough time.

The only thing I wouldn't do again, is to choose a 30mm axle with a BB92.
The bearings are too small and not standard.

Have RaceFace Cinch on the wife's bike with the BB92 shell - the same setup, and it's been remarkably reliable considering the smaller bearing size. Probably not have such luck under me at almost 2x the weight, but no complaints about the 30mm/BB92 combo on her bike, especially as it makes the silly light RF Next SL cranks an option for her.