Author Topic: Isogrid TUBES  (Read 5643 times)

KARBONATOR

Isogrid TUBES
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »

325racer

Re: Isogrid TUBES
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Interesting concept, but I see a few practical problems in all but casual bike use.

In cyclocross or mtb applications, think of all the nooks and krannies on your current bike that don't quite get clean, imagine that thing on a muddy ride...   it would be packed full of dirt and weigh much more.

On a road bike, think of the aerodynamic turbulence that would make.  While lighter, it would most likely still be slower than an equivalent solid framed bike, just because of the extra drag created from the turbulent air created by those tubes.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:58:13 AM »
May be adding a light flexible coat to wrap the tubes.
I would be more worried about scratches or hits.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
Has anyone had experience with this type of tube design?
http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/new-twist-in-cycling-a-truss-bikers-can-trust

It's kinda like aluminum spokes. Sure, you can do it, and it's got some benefits, but doing it the way that it's been done for a really long time also works really well. :)

It's visually interesting, has the issues 325 points out, but I don't think it really fixes any problems.

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
The mtb frame weighs about the same as a -057 frame, or more than a -256.  They need to go back to the drawing board.

Patrick C.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
I also agree that the open grid would cause problems in the real world- getting caked with mud, or getting rocks and sticks stuck inside it.  Interesting idea to take away what isn't needed, but I don't see the benefit unless this is a lot cheaper and faster than the molded frames, other than easier custom sizes if you can cut the tubes to length (might not be possible).