Author Topic: CS-057 Headsets  (Read 2181 times)

ebruner

CS-057 Headsets
« on: June 17, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
I've got an XL CS-057 frame on the way to me...  I'm currently shopping for headsets.  I'm going to stick with cane creek for the headset but I cannot determine which one would be best. 

Wants/Needs:
-Cane Creek 40 level or better
-Budget friendly (under 70 dollars)
-Minimal top/bottom stack

I'd like to use an integrated headset for nearly zero stack, like this one:

Cane Creek 40 IS42/IS52 Tapered Headset
http://www.jensonusa.com/Complete-Headsets/Cane-Creek-40-IS42IS52-Tapered-Headset

If I can't use an integrated headset I guess this seems like the next best option. 

Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56 Tapered Headset
http://www.jensonusa.com/Complete-Headsets/Cane-Creek-40-ZS4456-Tapered-Headset

What say yee chinertown?

Carbon_Dude

Re: CS-057 Headsets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
I just use the $15 Neco headset that I bought withe the frame.  Has worked fine for more than 2 years.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ebruner

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:31 AM »
I just use the $15 Neco headset that I bought withe the frame.  Has worked fine for more than 2 years.

Do you by chance have a link or specs to that headset?  I'm trying to figure out of an integrated headset will work with this frame.  These frames have two glaring geometry issues; headtube length (stack impact), and chain stay length.  I can live with the chain stay length because of what I'm going to be using this for... but I need to minimize the stack height and head tube length issue as much as possible.

Thanks.

SportingGoods

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »
Same here. Using Neco and have no issue with it. Honestly a headset does not need anything fancy, it only needs to be robust. Neco does the job perfectly, I can't find anything that I would like to see improved here.

My headset was offered with my frame, so I haven't selected it or even know the exact reference, but they have a website:
http://www.necoparts.com/en/category/Integrated-Threadless-Headset/A0101.html

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Has your frame shipped yet?  If not, call Peter (I'm assuming you're getting this from him based on the CS- designation) and order the Neco headset.  Did he not offet it with the frame?

What are the "glaring' issues with the headtube length and chainstay length?  Can you not get your bars low enough?

ebruner

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Has your frame shipped yet?  If not, call Peter (I'm assuming you're getting this from him based on the CS- designation) and order the Neco headset.  Did he not offet it with the frame?

What are the "glaring' issues with the headtube length and chainstay length?  Can you not get your bars low enough?

I bought this frame "new" second hand.  Owner had a replacement frame coming in and sold it to me.  I ended up taking everyone's advice here and I ordered a neco on ebay.  It's cheap enough where if it works, great, I saved a few bucks.  If it doesn't then lesson learned.

Regarding the geometry issue with the head tube.... yes it is indeed just all about handlebar height.  The XL of this frame locks you into a rather large stack height number.  I can some what work around this and can run a negative rise stem if I have to.  This frame was very touch and go for me because it's a tick or three off my ideal bike fit numbers. 

The chainstay length issue is just that, the chainstays are about .25" to .3" bigger then they really need to be for this size bike.  This all boils down to this being a design that supports front derailleurs.  If you ask me, they should have foregone that option and reduced the chainstay length to hit the new generation of drive train and bike geometry standards. 

RS VR6

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »
There are Chiner frames that do meet your requirements, but they are going to cost more than for what you paid for your frame.

VisionTim

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:14:07 PM »
I use a Neco but with a traditional star bolt in the fork.
http://visionmtb.com
Long Island NY Mountain Biking

Patrick C.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »

Regarding the geometry issue with the head tube.... yes it is indeed just all about handlebar height.  The XL of this frame locks you into a rather large stack height number.  I can some what work around this and can run a negative rise stem if I have to.  This frame was very touch and go for me because it's a tick or three off my ideal bike fit numbers. 

The chainstay length issue is just that, the chainstays are about .25" to .3" bigger then they really need to be for this size bike.  This all boils down to this being a design that supports front derailleurs.  If you ask me, they should have foregone that option and reduced the chainstay length to hit the new generation of drive train and bike geometry standards.

Yeah, I think it just comes down to when the frame was designed (or reverse engineered :)).  The -057 has been available since 2013, so the design is probably approaching 5 years old.  If they were designing the frame today I'd also suggest wider chainstays for plus tires. :(