Author Topic: Internal or external?  (Read 7807 times)

RS VR6

Internal or external?
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
I'm doing my research on the China carbon frame at the moment. I've narrowed them down to either the FR-225 (Geo is fairly close to my Spesh) or the IP-256SL. Main thing drawing me to the 256SL is the weight. Both of these frames seem to have internal cable routing. Having a Cervelo S2...I know how much of a pain internal routing can be.

How are these frames routed for internal cables? Is is a massive pain to route the cables? The inside of my Cervelo is fairly smooth and has internal routing so the cables run through fairly smooth...but still a pain to fish out of the openings.

thanks!

Carbon_Dude

Re: Internal or external?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
Both my IP-057 and IP-033 have an inner liner for each of the internal cable runs, push the cable or brake line in one end, it glides inside the frame and pops out the other end.  I would suggest running the line from back to front, just easier that way.

On MTBR, someone posted a picture of the IP-256 and it has a removable plate on the bottom bracket for access to cable routing.  I'm not sure what to think about that at the moment.  Could be fine, could cause other problems.

The FR-225 is a Flyxxi frame, not sure how nice the routing is on that frame.  I know some posters on MTBR have complained about having problems with the cable routing on the Flyxxi frames, needing to drill out the holes to run the cables they way they want, with full housings.

Have you looked at the XMIplay IP-033?  Seems like a similar hard tail frame with nice looking lines.

I have no issues with internal routing on either of my frames, if I needed to replaces cables, it would not be any more difficult for me to do than if the cables were external.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:27:42 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

RS VR6

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
Awesome...thanks for the insight! The 256 looks real interesting to me. The rear stays look like the Open 1.0. The super thin seat stays look a bit sketch to me.

The 225 is on Ebay and the Flyxxi site...but Ebay is cheaper than their own site.

I don't think I'm going to get the frame till the end of summer so I've got some time to pick up a few parts I want to put on it.

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:49 AM »
The reason why I liked the IP-256 so much is the fact is has a direct mount for the front derailleur (E-Type2). I'll ride the bike with 2x10 (Shimano XT). And also the weight is a really pro.
The only negative thing at the moment is the delivery time. It has a production delay of more than 20 days. I ordered this frame in the beginning of April and I won't send to me before 22th of June.
And I'm a little bit concerned about the removable plate on the bottom bracket (like Carbon_Dude said). See last picture in the topic I mentioned below.

I've placed some pictures of the bike in this topic: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,96.msg778.html#msg778

RS VR6

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:58:47 AM »
I do kind of like having the trap door. It looks like it'll keep the dirt and crud off the cables. The 256 is a good looking frame.  :)

I'm running a 1x10 setup...so I have no need for a front derailleur. The S2 mount looks like a clean way to run a chain guide.

The other issue I have is that my steerer tube is cut pretty short...so I need a medium frame with a 100mm head tube that uses an internal headset (which look like they do). My stem is slammed on a 6mm bearing cover and I have no spacers above the stem.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:01:07 AM by RS VR6 »

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
slammed ALL the way down! pics?  ;D

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
^^ Thanks mate, but I was referring to his slammed stem set up.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
I found some nice vids from Park Tool on how to build an MTB step by step:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3293736101E7C6B3

But, when do we need to put the internal wires?

At the very beginning(before headset/bb)?
Or the step by step vids above still apply?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
On my IP-056 or IP-036 it doesn't matter if you have the headset or bottom bracket in the frames, those areas don't provide better access.  Internal cable routing, at least on the frames I have, is so simple that it's really not that much different than external routing.  No special tricks, just push the cable, brake line, or housing in one end and it pops out the other.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

RS VR6

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
slammed ALL the way down! pics?  ;D

Haha...here it is. This is the bike that I will be pulling the parts off of, with the exception of the crank. I want to run either a S-Works or a Rotor 3D.

I need the 100mm head tube since my fork is cut to that length. The 225 and 256SL are pretty close with the 256 having 5mm more. Really leaning towards the 225 because of the head tube and that it has a 27.2 seat tube...so I can run my CG-R post. I'm just not sure of the hump behind the head tube.  :o

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:29:50 PM by RS VR6 »

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
^^ Actually a very nice bike to pull parts from. Great components. Why not the cranks? Nice cranks, man.. You should list em on the new buy, sell, trade section of the forum if you do get rid of em. I may snag em.

Realize the request for pics of the slammed stem may've seemed a lil odd lol.. Dunno why, I just really love the way a completely slammed stem looks with a negative rise stem. Yours looks especially sweet with that Syntace. That said, not sure I'd want a set-up like that.. I assume it is simply just a more race oriented riding position?

What kind of seat post is that?

RS VR6

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
I like my bar just below the saddle. It climbs better, more control when cornering, less pressure on the lower back.

The seat post is a Specialized CG-R. Its their damping seat post...and it works quite well for me.