Author Topic: CS-036 Build Book / Beginners Guide  (Read 1610 times)

Midwest-MTBer

CS-036 Build Book / Beginners Guide
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
Hey guys, So I've ordered all of the components I'll need for my 036 except for the frame and wheels from Peter. I expect to place my order in the next few weeks and start the build soon after. I'm a first time builder here on Chinertown, and I've found this site to be a incredible resource to someone who doesn't know everything that they need to about building a bike. I'm a designer by trade and I'd like to give back to the community with a well documented build including a step by step process of me assembling my bike, different component specs and detailed images. My goal would be to provide someone with a PDF document that they could use as a reference for their own build. I would like to compile all of the tidbits and scraps that I've accumulated from other posts and assemble them in a way so that a person can hopefully use this guide as a reference when buying parts. I'm looking to start the rough layout of the document soon and I'm going to be roughly following the order of operations that was posted by Carbon Dude. If you guys don't mind looking stuff over every once and awhile that would really help me tune this document so it's easy to understand and use.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

If you'd like to be one of the reviewers of my drafts and progress, shoot me a PM and I'll try to upload to google drive or something.

Carbon_Dude

Re: CS-036 Build Book / Beginners Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
I think it's a good idea.  If someone wanted to print out a step-by-step guide to building their new bike, put the pages in a three ring binder, and have them there as a reference when assembling their bike, that would be great.  Makes it easy for anyone who has not built a bike yet.  Of course there will be minor difference depending on the frame, but the general instructions will be the same.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
I honestly think it depends on your ability to document the process effectively. That said, seems like a good idea to me. If it becomes fully fleshed out we can give it a stickied thread or something so your hard work doesn't go unnoticed/unused.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »
Sounds good to me, I'd be happy to contribute as well.

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
I'd really appreciate the help to put something together that could be a service to those without experience. That being said, realistically I probably won't have this thing done until late summer unfortunately. I'll get started on it ASAP and keep you guys posted.