Author Topic: CX-Delta spokes  (Read 5821 times)

bxcc

CX-Delta spokes
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
Who is using them? I see that Peter is using them in his wheel builds but I can't find much on them. I was hoping to use CX-Rays but if these are cheaper, I may try them. I can't find much but what I can find is that the weight is the same but the profile is rectangular instead of bladed like the Rays.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:42:43 PM by bxcc »

SportingGoods

Re: CX-Delta spokes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:19 AM »
It might be an overkill but I always prefer the regular double butted spokes (Sapim Race or DT Swiss Competition, 2.0-1.8-2.0).
They are not the lightest but they build strong and reliable wheels. They are fairly cheap too.

I asked Peter to use Sapim Race as he has that brand available.

cmh

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »
Who is using them? I see that Peter is using them in his wheel builds but I can't find much on them. I was hoping to use CX-Rays but if these are cheaper, I may try them. I can't find much but what I can find is that the weight is the same but the profile is rectangular instead of bladed like the Rays.

I did a little bit of looking and wasn't able to find them generally available. In fact, they seem to be limited to Chinese manufacturers.

They're the same idea as the CX-Ray spokes, but as you noted, they're just pressed flat instead of ovalized. Should make for a much cheaper process and thus a cheaper spoke. Compared to the Laser, the CX-Ray has a greatly improved fatigue life due to the cold working of the steel in the pressing process. Looks like the Delta offers the same advantages. I'd love to try a wheel build with them.

xcbarny

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
They have the same section dimensions as CX-rays. ie 2.2mm x 0.9mm, and claim to be the same weight and strength. I don't see anything on that link that diffentiates them from CX-rays:
http://www.sapim.be/spokes/aero/cx-ray

My Cx-rays aren't particularly oval. I image the mid section is just rolled to the desired thickness, and the front and back faces are just the result of rolling a round spoke.

Call me cynical, but since these are cheaper that CX-rays, yet the same weight and dimensions, and only appear on chinese wheels, I always thought they were a copy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:41:19 AM by xcbarny »
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:02:08 AM »
My Cx-rays aren't particularly oval.

I see a clear oval shape on the CX-Ray compared to my flat Pilar Aero.
Now, is this really useful is the question :)

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
So I think I figured it out. The Delta's are just flattened and the Rays are a full bladed profile, other than that, they are the same. I think the Chinese vendors use them as a cheaper OEM option when building up hundreds of wheels. That being said, Peter's price only varies by $.05 USD per spoke. So it was pretty easy to spend the extra $3.20 and just go with the CX-Rays this time. If I need to get replacement spokes (yes I got 8 extra from Peter) it should be a bit easier to find a match here in the states and not wait for international shipping.