Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

MTB conversion to Disc Road bike

(1/13) > >>

SportingGoods:
Hi everyone!
This is more a teaser then anything else for now :)

I'm going to upgrade my current MTB soon to Full Suspension. I used to temporarily convert this 29" hardtail into a road bike in the winter (going down to sub-8kg). I was swapping fork (26" MTB carbon rigid fork), wheels (ZTR Crest equipped with Durano 28mm), dropper post (Carbon post) and doing a bit of change in the chain ring.
That was too much work!

So I have decided to permanently convert this hardtail into a disc road bike. I plan to do it properly  8). I have already decided that I'll order:
- a carbon dropbar (B6 from Peter), for a real road bike look!
- Tubular rims, (RM30T-23 from Carbon Speed as well). My wheel sub-plan is the following:
    * take the very light Novatec D711/D712 regular hubs from my current MTB wheelset (converting those to Boost hubs)
    * Add the super light tubular rims
    * Use superlight DT Swiss Aerolight spokes
The wheelset will end up under 1.3kg, which is nice for carbon rims. If you add the gain of tubular vs. tire+tube, I loose over 700g in the wheels compared to my current road setup. That's MASSIVE difference at the most critical place.

I've not placed any order yet but I'll keep this post updated with thoughts and decisions :)

As I'll be transferring most of the equipment to the full-sus frame I will also need to buy:
Drivetrain + brake: unsure if I go with cable or hydraulic brakes. It will be a real road group for sure. Mechanical disc would allow to buy a complete group, which is usually cheaper then buying separate. I would just have to add the mechanical calipers.

EDIT: After looking into some other posts related to disc road bike I think I will go mechanic disc brake instead of hydraulic. The reason is that hydraulic now uses a different mount system (flat mount). I plan on selecting Ultegra drivetrain (Dura-Ace is over what I want to spend). After looking at the weight of these components, I'm heading to a bike below 7.1kg (w/o pedals) for a cost around €1000.00 (parts to buy only, not including parts that are my MTB for now).
It's probably as good as I need!!

carbonazza:
I'm very interested to see how it goes :)

SportingGoods:
I just got a "bike fever"  8) I have started to acquire parts for this road disc bike.

And talking about disc, I have finally selected the disc brake. No! better then that, I have selected the best disc brakes. I decided to not go with hydaulic brakes for multiple reasons (high cost, weight, flat mount). I was about to buy Spyre calipers, the best mechanical one, but ultimately ran into this beauty:

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable-pull-disc-brake-set-cyclocross.html
They are now my precious and should be with me in the next 2 weeks. Those are cable actuated hydro calipers. They offer both the power and modulation of hydro with the simplicity of cable shifters. They are very light too, 142g/caliper. Not too expensive either.

I have also found a good deal on an Ultegra 6800 11sp Group. 579€. And I will resell the rim brake (probably 80€). I have selected a compact 50/34 crankset with a 11-28 cassette (my main usage will be riding mountains - I'm 40 km from the famous Alpes d'Huez, and right at the foot of another very difficult mountain).
So, I will end up with a high level disc group for about 680€. Not too bad (Ultegra shifter/hydro brake is 600€ the pair, just the shifter and calipers, not the complete group!).

Oh, and I have also ordered my tubulars. They should look beautiful with a red accent. Vittoria corsa evo CX III. 80€ the pair.

http://www.alltricks.fr/F-11936-pneus/P-83456-vittoria_boyau_corsa_evo_cx_iii_700x23_noir_rouge

Still waiting on feedback from Peter to proceed with my order for the rims and dropbar.

SportingGoods:
Hi guys!

Earlier then I thought, parts start to come in. I've received my brake calipers from UK today. They are just as described:
- Comes with all you need. 2x adapters (I don't need it, my fork/frame are already set for 160 mm), long and short bolts, 2x 160 mm discs (119g each), bolts for discs.
- Calipers weight 143g each.

Mounted on my rigid carbon fork, so far so good!

And I have processed my order to CarbonSpeed for a B6 dropbar and 30 mm deep tubular rims (all-around rims, not too small, not too heavy). Peter is really nice, he understood what I was doing so asked me if I want the basalt brake surface. I confirmed I don't need any. You would not expect such a high level of service from many people.

carbonazza:
I never thought cable disc brake could be any good.
I just replaced them on a kid's Trek by some cheap Shimano hydro, and my kid is very happy of the effortless braking.

You say cost and weight, but another advantage could be to have much more compatible cable brake levers/shifters available.

I'm curious about their modularity and how they perform in your roads.
A friend just came back from the Alps, and told me he spent most of his descending time braking to stay below a safe 60km/h
Great brakes seem vital there :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version