Author Topic: I think I am officially a "Bike Snob".....  (Read 3879 times)

bxcc

I think I am officially a "Bike Snob".....
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »
So awhile back, my wife started calling me a bike snob. Why? I think it's because I have been working on helicopters for 20+ years and I am very particular when it comes to things working properly. I don't need the best brands, heck, 2 of my bikes aren't even a brand at all. She thinks it's because I need to have the best bikes and tweak them until they are perfect and then either 1) start tweaking her bikes, 2) buy a new bike, or 3) start tweaking the same bike all over again. Who is correct is still up for discussion.

I do think that I am starting to win though. She had never expressed any burning desire to try my bikes. Well one day a few weeks ago, I convinced her to go on a women's group ride that was happening about a mile from our house. It is pretty flat but also very technical with all the rocks and roots and I mentioned that she should take the 29+ bike. Well she comes home glowing from how the ride went and how she loved the bike. So now that she has the Tallboy 3 frame and we are getting all the parts ordered, she is wanting the build to be similar to the 29+ bike. She is now starting to see how too much weight, poor shifting, and poor suspension setup can kill a bike. So maybe, just maybe, she is becoming one too....

Am I alone or is there a place where there are others like me and we can have meetings or something?

carbonazza

Re: I think I am officially a "Bike Snob".....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »
20+ years also but in software, where everything must be perfect too to run smoothly(although without life or death issues you have).
Any suspect noise, malfunction or potential improvement on the bike is immediately treated.

No, you are not alone!

Some yoga, meditation or philosophical readings should probably help to cope with the imperfections of life, but for now I try to find domains to constructively apply my problem instead of curing it :D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:10:10 AM »
20+ years in Mechanical Engineering, it's easy to become a bike snob and want everything to work perfectly.  Anytime I have a squeak, creak, or something I didn't like on my ride, when I get home I immediately start tracking down the source of the problem.  Maybe I should try a bit of meditation.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

SportingGoods

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:15 AM »
After each ride, I clean my bike and fix everything till it is as good as new from the shop.

Do I qualify? :D

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
Although you do not have the 20+ medal, I'm afraid yes :)

SportingGoods

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
Almost there... I graduated in 1998!

I forgot to mention that the first thing I do when I come back from a business trip is to clean my son's MTB (cause it's never done the way I want). And when a part is in a condition that can't be returned back to "as new" I just buy a new one (usually with an upgrade).

I'm afraid I'm in...

voodoo320

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
@SportingGoods. After each ride, I clean my bike and fix everything till it is as good as new from the shop.

We have the same quality.... Maybe we both qualify!!!! ;D

tripleDot

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »
Been riding bicycles since I was 6 (that's 4 decades) and owned like only 9 bikes in my lifetime.  2 got stolen in the 90's.  I have absolutely no recollection of what happened to those before the 90's.  Sold one to a friend at a quarter of it's original price (he's still using it today... 16 year old bike).  And have 3 of them at the same time for only less than a month now.  All but one (the new Chiner) of my bikes are under $650, half of them were like a $100 each.  Always made do with what I have.  Back then, I clean them but not as much as I want to (space issue but that's different now).  I'd like to check and repair any creaking sound but I don't have the tools nor the skill, so they can wait until the next visit to the mechanic.  So no, I'm no bike snob but believe me I LOVE BIKING as much as any of you.  Is that enough?   ;D ;D ;D
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)