Author Topic: Chinese SC/AM831 Group Buy  (Read 65072 times)

BlackTrails

Re: Chinese SC/AM831 Group Buy
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2020, 02:40:18 AM »
I am interested, but could use a little direction.
I've ridden a pretty entry level hardtail (cannondale trail 3) for the last two years and would like to transition to a FS. I road a chinese road bike for years and its still going strong in the hands of another local rider, so I'm not afraid of china carbon.

I'm 6'2" and ride a XL (21). Would that translate to a L or should I go with XL?
Is this more of a trail bike? Or enduro? All mountain?

My only real concern is that this is new unproven tech. But I guess someone has to be the guinea pig huh?

I’m 6’2” , and in between sizes as well.  Going with 19, it’s the same as Santa Cruz size XL.

K.C.

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »
size 16, small, clear coat only not fuss glossy or matt (is that color no1?)
australia

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »
Well, we're currently at 32. I'm going to hold off on setting up the form for everyone to enter their official order until we get more finalized pictures and details on the end product frame. Personally, I won't be moving forward until we can be sure we are all getting a functional and acceptable product. While the frame price may only be $500 individually, collectively we are talking about a $20k plus order and I wouldn't feel right orchestrating the deal until I felt confident that we were all going to be satisfied customers. So for now, we'll leave this less formal order open and perhaps cap it at 40 units, and wait for final product details.

I hope that makes sense to all involved and also happy Easter weekend to everyone... I hope you have a positive and enjoyable weekend.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:48:34 PM by Sitar_Ned »

GuitsBoy

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
Makes perfect sense and I couldn't agree more.   You want enough people to cover if anyone drops out, but you dont want it to get unmanageable.  And of course, you want to see what the product is before you buy it.  I'm sure Eddy will understand your reasoning.

For what its worth, I'm certain there wont be a glaring issue like the shock hole in the final product.  They might have intended to cut open the pre-production mockup frame to see what dimensions are needed for the pass-through.  Thats my guess anyway. 

Jotegr

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
No need to cap it, I'm guessing the drop out rate will be quite high.

coisado

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
I'm in

21.5 in
UD Matte Finish
Utah, USA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2020, 05:53:59 PM »
For what its worth, I'm certain there wont be a glaring issue like the shock hole in the final product.  They might have intended to cut open the pre-production mockup frame to see what dimensions are needed for the pass-through.  Thats my guess anyway.

I agree completely. In the end, I think the frame will be well worth the price.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
No need to cap it, I'm guessing the drop out rate will be quite high.

Yeah, you're probably right. Okay... No cap.

Jotegr

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2020, 08:25:53 PM »
Eddie knows we're stoked and excited to get ANY information on this. I'll be honest, he's probably pretty stoked too. Can you guys think of any other direct to consumer Chinese frame that has had ANYWHERE this level of hype before? I'm sure he sent us another mock up. It costs a bundle of time, money. and resources to make these molds and there's no way Haideli is going to make a mold just to prank 30 people in to preordering a frame with no shock hole. The idea's a bit comical to be honest.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »
I agree that idea that Haideli would in some way not come through with the frame is comical. That's not at all what I'm saying, and I don't think anyone else is either. Sorry if that's how it came across. From what I understand, they are a respected supplier at this point and currently produce various other frames and have plenty of satisfied customers. Also, Eddy has been very responsive and nice.

Since we had reached the 30 unit number mark, I just thought it was a good idea to make it clear to everyone why we would be holding off on placing final orders. Considering the order size, it seems perfectly reasonable that we would wait until we get final product pictures and even video of it in action. Also, we still don't even have a solid time frame. Just trying to keep everything transparent on my end.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:04:23 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Jotegr

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2020, 12:54:03 AM »
No, that wasn't directed at you at all, moreso the other folks who have been posting and asking for more photos or doubting the product. It's reasonable to be cautious, but I think the concern is a bit unfounded.

I feel a bit silly for spamming this thread when we have the other one now too.

eminius

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
We are still waiting for simple photo of the frame made out of carbon.....  8)

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2020, 08:32:58 PM »
Page 6....

eminius

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »
Page 6....

Thank you but that picture is ridiculous,worst than the one on first page where frame is made of plastic..
Can u please explain how and where shock is mounted?Is this real carbon,i always thought you can see layers of carbon and its structure....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:35:49 AM by eminius »

chetosmachine

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »
Eminius, the bike frames usually are made with unidireccional carbon and have very few details/visible structure.
If the frame is sanded before finish, there's absolutely no detail to be seen as it is all blackish and dull. Only after a clearcoat layer you will see something.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:52:54 AM by chetosmachine »