Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 38503 times)

BiciDomingo

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2022, 10:57:10 AM »
@RDY Nice work. Many thanks.

RDY

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2022, 06:15:03 AM »
Waiting for Chris to reply with payment details.

Will ask about a discount on the posts for those who contributed after we make the payments.  Don't think it'd be wise to do so before. 

RDY

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »
$50 to support@velobuild.com - reference "099 zero offset mold costs"

If you don't want to go ahead, please indicate now and we'll try to find others to fill your place. 

Me.  - PAID ($100)
@Gigelz   - PAID ($35)
@Velovelo  - PAID  ($50)
@FHS  - PAID ($50)
@zaphodbeeblebrox  - PAID ($50)
@BiciDomingo - PAID ($65)

Edit: $350 now raised.  Thanks everyone.

Please post a screenshot here of your payment (can wipe out your personal details). Mine below:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:29:39 PM by RDY »

RDY

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2022, 02:31:58 AM »
Chris has confirmed that the unit price for the seatpost themselves will be $30, and new orders for the frameset will include it if preferred.  I think that's cheap enough not to bother asking for a discount.  I'd assumed they'd be nearly double that.

BiciDomingo

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2022, 02:59:50 AM »
Payment details. Thanks RDY.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2022, 09:08:28 AM »
Sent!

FHS

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2022, 07:29:14 PM »
Sent

Velovelo

« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2022, 09:53:44 PM »
Sent, thanks!

bichler.bua

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2022, 02:22:32 AM »
Hi everyone,
joined this forum end of 2021 when I was looking for information on velobuild. After reading through this forum and checking with Chris I decided to order a VB-R-099. The build is completed in the meantime and waiting for spring to arrive so I can take the bike on the road. Reason I chose the VB-R-099 were integrated cable routing and available frame size option 58. I am 1.95 m tall with 96 cm in seam length, typically ride a 86 cm saddle to bottom bracket length and something like 10 to 13 cm saddle to stem drop.

Wanted to share my bike and a few experiences, with my theme being inspired by Chinertown I decided to use a Sensah Empire Pro shifting set, a Juin Tech F1 brake and 50mm deep Elite wheels. I also opted for the separated bar and stem combo since I was not sure regarding the integrated bar shape and I wanted the freedom to swap either stem or bar. This has been noted before in the forum, I ordered a 120mm stem but when I measure what I received it is more a 125mm or even a 130mm the way we measure stems here in Germany.

With all mechanical shifting and brake I struggled quite a bit with the internal cable routing. Tried to use compressionless cable housing first, but struggled big time to route the housing, especially from the bar into the stem and run cables through it. Swapped the compressionless KEB-SL housing with standard Shimano brake housing, which was easier to be routed through the bar and the stem into the frame. When installing cables into the housing it worked, but operation was not perfectly smooth. Therefore I decided to swap the velobuild spacers with a common set you can buy from Aliexpress. You will either have to cut the bottom spacer or fill it with epoxy so it becomes a plain surface that can sit flush with the ¾ ring of the top headset bearing. I also cut out the top spacer so I could run the cables from underneath the steam into the spacer. I understand this is not a perfect internal cable routing, but it eases setup and enables cable routing and smooth operation of brakes and shifting and I am satisifed with the result.

I am attaching a few pictures of the build and the cable routing. Since my camera is struggling with the different shades of red I am also posting the custom paint link on the velobuild homepage.
http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-099-custom-paint-aero-road-carbon-bike-frame-red-fading-glossy-paint

A final comment: I found it strange, that the front axle is fixed from the drive train side rather than from the non-drive train side. Also, the 130mm axle that was shipped with the frame was a bit long and stood out quite significant on the brake side. I ordered a shorter set from Aliexpress which leaves less excess thread being visible once the front wheel is fastened with the axle.

Oh, almost forgot: tried to fit a Specialized seatpost cover because I read in this forum people have successfully done that. Can anybody confirm? My VB-R-099 seatpost is shaped thicker at the front and smaller at the tail, Specialized seatposts seem to be the other way round hence the cover would not fit a VB-R-099?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:07:51 AM by bichler.bua »

BiciDomingo

« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2022, 10:41:36 AM »
Welcome. Nice bike. I think you will be happy when spring arrives and you can take the 099 for a ride. I really love this bike. Comfortabele and fast. Can you provide a link for the thru axle you ordered by Ali? Many thanks.

bichler.bua

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2022, 12:23:14 PM »
Welcome. Nice bike. I think you will be happy when spring arrives and you can take the 099 for a ride. I really love this bike. Comfortabele and fast. Can you provide a link for the thru axle you ordered by Ali? Many thanks.

Thanks. Looking forward to the first rides. These are the ones I picked up at Aliexpress:
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000493300098.html
Bought the 126mm version, still a little bit too long but much better than the 130mm version that came with the frameset.

RDY

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2022, 01:12:14 PM »
If anybody else wants to contribute to the zero offset seatpost mould, feel free, the two guys left seemed unsure.

Re: the thru-axles, surely it's dangerous to be using ones which are far too long ... Not enough thread will be engaged?

bichler.bua

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2022, 12:41:02 AM »
Re: the thru-axles, surely it's dangerous to be using ones which are far too long ... Not enough thread will be engaged?

Axle length and thread length are specified independently. The front axle that arrived with my frame seemed to be long overall in addition to a long thread length (L21).

RDY

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2022, 03:24:04 AM »
Axle length and thread length are specified independently. The front axle that arrived with my frame seemed to be long overall in addition to a long thread length (L21).

It sounds like they don't have the right ones so are sending a compromise.  130mm does sound very wide on a fork that appears not to have a very wide section. I'd be surprised if it's legitimately above the range of 118-122mm. Have other buyers received one which fit perfectly or are they all like this?

bichler.bua

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »
It sounds like they don't have the right ones so are sending a compromise.  130mm does sound very wide on a fork that appears not to have a very wide section. I'd be surprised if it's legitimately above the range of 118-122mm. Have other buyers received one which fit perfectly or are they all like this?

Good question, I would also be interested what axle did other buyers receive with their frame?
The 130mm L17 sticks out about 8mm on my fork, a 122mm with L15 should have done the job (I replaced it with a 126 L17, which is still around 2mm too long).
Asked Chris from velobuild, will keep you updated on his response.