Author Topic: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame  (Read 84037 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2022, 09:59:32 PM »
Would this issue be better, worse, the same if using AXS with just a brake line running through it?

That’s exactly what I’ve wondered, since one of the very first 1002s seen in the wild (the Bike Of The Day post with metallic silver paint) had an AXS derailleur. I always had a feeling there was a specific reason for that, but even if the owner always planned to run wireless I’d love to ask him what his experience with the linkage routing grommets has been.

My guess is that with just the one cable, they’ll be less likely to pull out of place because the whole action happens on a curve that causes the traction with the grommets and only one cable going through would probably be easier for the grommet lips (the outer ones that hold onto the frame) to cope with.

I could see trying it at some point if I fall in love with this frame otherwise and want to keep it long term, but for now I don’t think spending GX AXS money makes sense in my case. I’ve got to establish some basic trust over a few rides with this frame, the bearings and provided headset before I start thinking about anything nearly that drastic.

If I were making a recommendation to somebody planning their 1001/1002 build now though, I’d say if you can afford wireless it might be a much less headache inducing experience. Frankly I’m amazed that there are only two of us who’ve reported struggling with this issue and that both have only posted about it in the past couple weeks; with KHS, Sherpa and others selling the 1001 I have to assume this is usually a manageable issue if it is one at all, but we’ll see what happens when I actually ride my 1002 on intense terrain.

Neb

« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2022, 02:18:32 AM »
Does anyone know where to source some new frame cable grommets? I would imagine they are a standard part rather than specific to carbonda. It's only a matter of time until I lose one!

On a related note, I've noticed some cable rattle, so I've fastened zip ties around the cables as they enter the frame, seems to work so far. I might add a neoprene over sleeve when I replace the cables
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 02:24:01 AM by Neb »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2022, 03:58:29 AM »
Does anyone know where to source some new frame cable grommets? I would imagine they are a standard part rather than specific to carbonda. It's only a matter of time until I lose one!

On a related note, I've noticed some cable rattle, so I've fastened zip ties around the cables as they enter the frame, seems to work so far. I might add a neoprene over sleeve when I replace the cables

When I installed mine, I used Jagwire damping tubing as much as possible. I also have a big bag of Jank Components cable clips which are some of the best I’ve found, and have three set up to keep the cables from slapping each other in the cockpit area.

Hopefully the combination keeps things quiet because I felt like I spent a huge part of the lifespan of my current branded bike chasing one rattle or creak or some noise or another, convinced something was being damaged or about to break.

I too would be very interested in replacement grommets — not just the linkage ones but all of the cable entry/exit points on 1001 & 1002 frames. I’m also looking into third party options for the 1.5” headset.

ShepCO

« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
Just building up my FM1001 now.  I was able to run the cables without too many problems.  I ended up removing some of the rear linkage bolts, laying frame on the ground, and running cables back to front. 

Front grommet with two cables coming out of it is a tight fit.  It doesn't quite sit fully flush but I'm hoping it will do for now.

willow79

« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »
I've finally been able to get my bike built up and taken out for its shake down run, my first impressions have me impressed and very happy with choosing this frame.
The bike feels so incredibly stable at speed,  but nimble in the corners.
Taking into consideration I've downsized on the frame size, I'm 184cm tall, I think I have got the right balance that I was looking to achieve for my riding style, yet, coming from a dirtjump and freeride mtb background, will give me that manouverbility and  clearence for the inevetible moment that I forget I'm not 20 years younger and attempt something stupid

There's a few things that need fine tuning. Getting the suspension set up, the gears need a little tweek to get them crisp,  I need to adjust the calipers to remove a slight brake rub, change the saddle, and remove the stickers of the spokes
but overall the bike is pretty close to perfect and Im very happy with how its turned out.

Size M
Rockshox Super deluxe 185mm x 55mm
Rockshox pike 150mm
ELITEWHEELS 29er MTB Carbon Wheels
Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.4" front, Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4" rear tyres
Shimano XT M8100 shifter
Shimano XT M8100 rear derailleur
Sram GX Eagle XG-1275 10-50t cassette
Sram GX Eagle 12 Speed Chain
ZTTO DH 32T-38T MTB Chain Guide
Race Face Next-R MTB Crankset 170mm
Blackspire Snaggletooth Narrow Wide Cinch Chainring 34t
Race Face Cinch BSA30 Bottom Bracket
crankbrothers Stamp 1 Pedals large
Nukeproof Horizon Stem 40mm
Nukeproof Horizon V2 Alloy Riser Handlebar (35mm) 25mm rise
Lizard Skins Peaty Cheers Grip Lock-on Grips
Magura MT7 Pro HC Disc Brake 180mm rotors front and rear
crankbrothers Highline 3 MTB Dropper Seatpost 170mm drop
Shimano SL-MT800-L Dropper Seatpost Lever
Specialized saddle (temporary)

Edit to resize images
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:09:39 PM by willow79 »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2022, 02:19:29 PM »
That color is just gorgeous. Nice choice.

Flo7

« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2022, 02:46:23 PM »
You took a Medium with 184cm??? Really... You could take a XL, L would be Down sizing.

emu26

« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2022, 05:10:34 PM »
Anyone else having trouble looking at those pics on a monitor?  They are so bloody big I see about 1 tenth of a pic on the screen at a time. (22" monitor)

brunev

« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2022, 05:28:06 PM »
Anyone else having trouble looking at those pics on a monitor?  They are so bloody big I see about 1 tenth of a pic on the screen at a time. (22" monitor)

Same.

Also, just ordered a FM1001 in size XL, and I'm 184 cm

acedeuce802

« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2022, 05:28:55 PM »
Image sizing seems really bad in general on this site.  I usually right click photos and open in a new tab (in Chrome) and then it'll auto scale well.

emu26

« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2022, 10:36:36 PM »
Image sizing seems really bad in general on this site.  I usually right click photos and open in a new tab (in Chrome) and then it'll auto scale well.

When I do that the end up about the size of the thumbnails on this site.
I find it very annoying and have tried to raise it several times but it generally seems to fall on deaf ears.

Have a similar issue on MTBR but generally only with one or two serial offenders that post screen shots from the latest and greatest iclones, frigging images end up huge and any text is just blurry.

lilbigmacky

« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:41 PM »
When I do that the end up about the size of the thumbnails on this site.
I find it very annoying and have tried to raise it several times but it generally seems to fall on deaf ears.

Have a similar issue on MTBR but generally only with one or two serial offenders that post screen shots from the latest and greatest iclones, frigging images end up huge and any text is just blurry.

you need to click the thumbnail to load the larger image and then right click the larger image  and make sure to choose open image in new tab and not open link in new tab

emu26

« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »
you need to click the thumbnail to load the larger image and then right click the larger image  and make sure to choose open image in new tab and not open link in new tab

Thank you. That seems to work and saves me downloading the images.

G161

« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2022, 01:44:09 AM »
I'm unsure if I should buy a Large or Medium frame. I'm 180cm tall with an 84cm Inseam, the size chart would lean towards a Large with a reach of 472 but I've been reading the sizing guide from Lee McCormack (LeeLikesBikes) and that suggests I get a Medium at 450 reach.

My current bike Nukeproof Scout Large has a reach of 450 (466 Sagged) but with a 35mm stem the front keeps lifting on steep climbs and it feels a little cramped, but when I had a longer stem on the bike I suffered from cyclist palsy and my fingers went numb. So do I need something longer or shorter... What do you guys think?

Also, question 2. What is the BB height on this bike? I'm considering building it as a 27.5 initially to save a buck and I'll buy a new fork and wheelset later on. But if the BB is too low that won't work.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Freda

« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2022, 03:56:07 AM »
Front grommet with two cables coming out of it is a tight fit.  It doesn't quite sit fully flush but I'm hoping it will do for now.

This was the one I lost! All the other ones sit nicely and were easy to get seated. That was probably why I lost it since cables move when riding. I was thinking about cutting part of it off to sit better but never got to try that. They are of course not 100% waterproof anyway.

When riding I don’t notice anything, no noise or rattling. Maybe I can do some electric tape ghetto solution.