Author Topic: Carbonda FM909  (Read 121270 times)

dolemitesc

Re: Carbonda FM909
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2022, 10:11:10 AM »
Probably most similar to orbea oiz, but it is not.  Geometry and linkage are different.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
Hello, I am looking at this model and your photos help a lot, thanks
In theory, what brand model does this FM909 look like?

Flex stays aren’t very common with branded bikes….several made a few XC models in the past, notably Scott, but the 909 uses a more curved stay than most and a majority of the brands that used to employ flex stays have moved to either regular 4-bars or linkage driven swingarms. Flex stays with visually attractive shapes are tough to make reliable for long term heavy use.

wfl3

« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2022, 02:40:40 PM »
Flex stays aren’t very common with branded bikes….several made a few XC models in the past, notably Scott, but the 909 uses a more curved stay than most and a majority of the brands that used to employ flex stays have moved to either regular 4-bars or linkage driven swingarms. Flex stays with visually attractive shapes are tough to make reliable for long term heavy use.

Sure about that?  Specialized, Cannondale, Transition, Orbea, Scott, Santa Cruz, etc all produce MTBs with flex stays.  The list gets longer every year.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2022, 04:39:04 PM »
Sure about that?  Specialized, Cannondale, Transition, Orbea, Scott, Santa Cruz, etc all produce MTBs with flex stays.  The list gets longer every year.

I didn’t mean to suggest they aren’t still fairly common, or that they can’t be made well. I’ve just noticed a trend of them becoming a bit less common in the past few years, but that could always be some combination of the specific brands I follow closely and the fact that my background is on the opposite end of the MTB spectrum (enduro/gravity/DH).

emu26

« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2022, 04:49:19 PM »
Flex stays aren’t very common with branded bikes….

I didn’t mean to suggest they aren’t still fairly common,

Well I'm confused.

wfl3

« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2022, 05:18:55 PM »
I didn’t mean to suggest they aren’t still fairly common, or that they can’t be made well. I’ve just noticed a trend of them becoming a bit less common in the past few years, but that could always be some combination of the specific brands I follow closely and the fact that my background is on the opposite end of the MTB spectrum (enduro/gravity/DH).

I didn't know they were ever used much in the enduro/gravity/DH world, but they are a mainstay in the XC world and for good reason - weight savings and cost savings.  Santa Cruz and Transition moving to flex stays just kinda cements that platform.

Not saying flex stays are all that great, but they are here to stay and are gaining more traction every year.  You might even see them in the trail/enduro space before too long.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:08:24 AM by wfl3 »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2022, 07:30:17 PM »

Well I'm confused.

Inelegant phrasing. I should have said “not *as* common” as they seem to be in the open-mold world.

Same mistake in a few of my comments in this thread about flex stays, for example I had been meaning to say flex stays are used more in XC/downcountry bikes than gravity ones so I don’t follow that segment of the market very closely and my impressions could be wrong. It came out sounding like the opposite, apparently.

Seba MTB

« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2022, 02:15:22 AM »
Waiting for rest of the parts.
Front: RockShox sid SL - 100 mm travel
Rear damper will be Rock Shox Deluxe Nude RLC3 - 165x40 mm
the intended use of the bicycle - XC/Cross country

C4rbon

« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2022, 05:44:14 PM »
Paint looks great! Keen to see how the build goes.

Rickbe

« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2022, 09:39:17 AM »
This axle seems to be to short. I tried a 171mm axle one hour ago and it is much to short. The hanger design allows you to see the axle and the thread..
179.. maybe 178 or 177. But I wouldn't go shorter

Had same problem with my sons.  We put a small washer /shim behind to take up a small amount of the length and that fixed it.  Also emailed Wing about this to let them know they need slightly shorter Axel.

C4rbon

« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2022, 06:03:10 PM »
Ha! I was just about to post this. I think so, yeah.

federic000

« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2022, 05:16:02 AM »
great news, it means the frame is very strong!   ;D

Pedaldancer

« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:35 PM »
great news, it means the frame is very strong!   ;D

After 5000km with my 505 , hitting so many potholes on the roads, jumping down so many sidewalks, riding easy trails... i checked my fork, no harm visible.. I was pretty convinced already  that Carbonda has a good knowledge. Also the 936 runs quite good I guess  ;D

C4rbon

« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »
Is anyone doing anything for downtube protection against rock strikes? Due to the shape it gets pretty close to the front wheel. I am thinking of maybe making a Kydex one? Don’t want to just tape it. Any better ideas?