Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 197526 times)

Eddy_Twerckx

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1575 on: April 09, 2023, 05:42:19 AM »
Same problem, velobuild says it's my saddle's problem even though a few run the same XD

Has it been causing any issues?

carbonazza

« Reply #1576 on: April 09, 2023, 11:27:23 AM »
Has it been causing any issues?
That would annoy me too.
Did you try another saddle ?
If still crooked, send them again a picture.

BerndSon

« Reply #1577 on: April 09, 2023, 12:04:51 PM »
Anybody have a seatpost that is slightly crooked? I got off the bike and thought my saddle was bent because it had a slight right rotation, but I tried a different saddle and got the same thing. Took off the saddle and it looks like the mounting base is actually crooked and rotated clockwise if looking down on it, making the saddle nose point right. I emailed "Chris" but curious if anybody else noticed a similar flaw.

Same issue here with a recently ordered Frameset!  :o
First thought its the VB saddle but now assume its also caused by the seat post...

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1578 on: April 09, 2023, 02:56:19 PM »
That would annoy me too.
Did you try another saddle ?
If still crooked, send them again a picture.

My first thought was the saddle as it’s an AliEx carbon saddle. But I tried 2 other Specialized saddles and all had the same rightward rotation. I already emailed some pictures of a saddle mounted and without, and you can see a tilt. Let’s see what they say.

some guy

« Reply #1579 on: April 09, 2023, 03:03:57 PM »
Can you guys tell whether the seatpost or the mounting hardware is twisted?

BerndSon

« Reply #1580 on: April 09, 2023, 03:50:08 PM »
Can you guys tell whether the seatpost or the mounting hardware is twisted?

just spend some minutes to check where its coming from.

First thing I noticed is, that the seat post itself is already slightly twisted in the seat tube. There is quite a lot play when it's not clamped and in my case, clamping results in a big gap on the left side whereas no gap on the right side. This matches the rotating direction of the my saddle and the one which could be seen some posts above. It's only some tenths of a millimeter for the small length of the seat post but will have bigger impact for the distance from mid of seat post to notch of the saddle which we are looking at.
Not sure if this is the root cause or only a contributor to the overall misalignment.

I will try to put some thin metal foil between seat post and frame (like some others already did to prevent slipping) in order to get a even gap on both sides in clamped condition and will report about the outcome.

I can't tell now if the misalignment causes seating problems since only did some 150km on test-drives so far but it definitely is something I would immediately realign with a round seat post ;)

i will do some posts and pictures about my build as soon its fully done since there have been a couple small issues (also regarding the headset play) which  needed to be fixed and aren't mentioned in this or the related threads so far...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 03:56:07 PM by BerndSon »

BerndSon

« Reply #1581 on: April 11, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
...blablabla...
I will try to put some thin metal foil between seat post and frame (like some others already did to prevent slipping) in order to get a even gap on both sides in clamped condition and will report about the outcome.
...blablabla...

Finally found some minutes to elaborate on this topic!

in Short:
my saddle looked the same as for Siejak, - I was able to fix it by inserting three small sheets of a soda can metal foil  at the right side between Seatpost and Frame.  By doing so, the Saddle was perfectly aligned.

To those who are affected, - just loosen your seatpost clamp and try to rotate the saddle to the left and right. I was able to rotate it by approx. ± 5 degree. As soon as the clamping device is tensioned, the notch of the saddle rotates to the right and the gap between seatpost and frame looks like described in the prior post.

If someone is motivated to dig deeper: Maybe the root cause for the misalignment is not the huge clearance between seatpost and frame but the contact angle of clamping inlet to seatpost. (=clamping device forces the seatpost to rotate). If thats the case, modifying the clamping device would also solve the problem.

For the time being, i will continue with my fix since it simply worked.

The dust cap covers the shims perfectly, - they are invisible now and the saddle is perfectly aligned when clamped with 5-6Nm.

kind regards
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:24:43 AM by BerndSon »

straycat

« Reply #1582 on: April 13, 2023, 06:24:57 AM »
I am having trouble with running the front derailleur cable to the housing in the frame, while the housing is attached to the frame I cant get the cable into it just seems impossible to try an fit the cable into the housing through the bottom bracket opening, if I remove the housing to seat the cable outer the housing will not go back into the frame, anyone else have this trouble and if so can you let me know how you did it  :)

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1583 on: April 14, 2023, 07:39:29 PM »
Finally found some minutes to elaborate on this topic!

in Short:
my saddle looked the same as for Siejak, - I was able to fix it by inserting three small sheets of a soda can metal foil  at the right side between Seatpost and Frame.  By doing so, the Saddle was perfectly aligned.

To those who are affected, - just loosen your seatpost clamp and try to rotate the saddle to the left and right. I was able to rotate it by approx. ± 5 degree. As soon as the clamping device is tensioned, the notch of the saddle rotates to the right and the gap between seatpost and frame looks like described in the prior post.

If someone is motivated to dig deeper: Maybe the root cause for the misalignment is not the huge clearance between seatpost and frame but the contact angle of clamping inlet to seatpost. (=clamping device forces the seatpost to rotate). If thats the case, modifying the clamping device would also solve the problem.

For the time being, i will continue with my fix since it simply worked.

The dust cap covers the shims perfectly, - they are invisible now and the saddle is perfectly aligned when clamped with 5-6Nm.

kind regards

The can fix worked for me so far. Hoping it doesn’t cause a slip and drop the seat post. Guess that’s the price we pay buying open mold.

gruengelb

« Reply #1584 on: April 15, 2023, 11:44:44 AM »
I am having trouble with running the front derailleur cable to the housing in the frame, while the housing is attached to the frame I cant get the cable into it just seems impossible to try an fit the cable into the housing through the bottom bracket opening, if I remove the housing to seat the cable outer the housing will not go back into the frame, anyone else have this trouble and if so can you let me know how you did it  :)

I had the same problem on my VB 177. I sanded the endcap of the cable housing down a bit til it fitted

carbonazza

« Reply #1585 on: April 15, 2023, 04:59:03 PM »
The can fix worked for me so far. Hoping it doesn’t cause a slip and drop the seat post. Guess that’s the price we pay buying open mold.

Not sure this will age well, since these are two different materials under a moving load.
I'm always astounded how tolerant many are with Velobuild quirks, and settle on workarounds.

BerndSon

« Reply #1586 on: April 16, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »
Not sure this will age well, since these are two different materials under a moving load.
I'm always astounded how tolerant many are with Velobuild quirks, and settle on workarounds.

I´m quite optimistic that this fix won't cause a problem (slipping or anything else) since the can-sheets only support the alignment of the seat post. Due to the aero-shape of the seat post, clamping anyway only takes place in direction of where the load is applied, so front and back section of the seat post.

Since this has been the only quirk for me so far, I`m O.K with it given the price.

Anyhow, I fully agree with you that such fixes shouldn't be necessary. My major concern is the following: I still believe the design and manufacturing process of such a frame requires some know how, precise craftsmanship and good quality processes and does not leave much space for errors. The appearance of such trivial issues like that one with the seatpost and many others leaves me with the question whether those guys put all attention in the frame building and just f**k up with the accessory parts (clamping device, headset parts like C-clip, stem...) or if we just don't see cracked frames because making them is easier / more forgiving then I thought.

What are your thoughts on that? Is a 1000gram VB Frame just too far from reaching any material / stability limits or are they simply way better in building the frame then doing the finish, Q-control and accessory parts?

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1587 on: April 16, 2023, 05:37:14 PM »
Ready to race! Got the bars wrapped and brakes bled. Took it out for a shakedown ride and everything feels great. I think I'd be hard pressed to tell much of a difference between this and the SL7, apart from weight making the SL7 slightly more snappy. I went 1x because this will be a crit bike and I didn't feel like dealing with routing another cable and a front mech. If I upgrade to electronic in the future I'd probably throw on a front mech but this was a budget build so I'm happy with the mech group I had laying around. Considering buying some decals for the wheels. I don;t like the new Zipp logo, think I'd go with the old logo in white. I love the look of white logos on wheels.

168 Frameset, size 58
Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels, Challenge Criterium RS tires 27mm, Muc Off valve stems, 160/140 discs
Shimano 105 mech grupo, 50t AbsoluteBlack chainring, 11-30t cassette
Kocevlo 1 piece bar/stem, 40cm/120mm, LizardSkins tape, Supacaz bar ends and stem cap
West Biking 3D printed saddle
ZTTO bottle cages
Look Pedals
Rapilock thru axles
Garmin 530, Garmin Varia
GoPro 8 on a custom 3D printed mount

Handlebars: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804787569282.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.79411802DclcYZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Saddle: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804999444467.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.10.79411802DclcYZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Bottle cages: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800808341640.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.184.4ba218023whaeR&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 06:16:36 PM by Eddy_Twerckx »

omzebras

« Reply #1588 on: April 18, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »
Just starting my 168 build with Di2 - am I supposed to route the front derailleur wire through the cable stop, or through the hole that comes with a rubber cap in it directly below the derailleur mount? If it isn't for Di2, what is that hole for?

hazzer19

« Reply #1589 on: April 18, 2023, 10:19:31 AM »
Awesome and unique looking build!

Ready to race! Got the bars wrapped and brakes bled. Took it out for a shakedown ride and everything feels great. I think I'd be hard pressed to tell much of a difference between this and the SL7, apart from weight making the SL7 slightly more snappy. I went 1x because this will be a crit bike and I didn't feel like dealing with routing another cable and a front mech. If I upgrade to electronic in the future I'd probably throw on a front mech but this was a budget build so I'm happy with the mech group I had laying around. Considering buying some decals for the wheels. I don;t like the new Zipp logo, think I'd go with the old logo in white. I love the look of white logos on wheels.

168 Frameset, size 58
Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels, Challenge Criterium RS tires 27mm, Muc Off valve stems, 160/140 discs
Shimano 105 mech grupo, 50t AbsoluteBlack chainring, 11-30t cassette
Kocevlo 1 piece bar/stem, 40cm/120mm, LizardSkins tape, Supacaz bar ends and stem cap
West Biking 3D printed saddle
ZTTO bottle cages
Look Pedals
Rapilock thru axles
Garmin 530, Garmin Varia
GoPro 8 on a custom 3D printed mount

Handlebars: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804787569282.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.79411802DclcYZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Saddle: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804999444467.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.10.79411802DclcYZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Bottle cages: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800808341640.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.184.4ba218023whaeR&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US