Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201262 times)

FHS

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2021, 09:17:29 AM »
Is this issue unheard of? Hows the quality of these frames, have a lot of people had to return it? Im always weary of frames that have to be sent back. Whst part of the headset had play?

I had issues with headset play on my TanTan X-21. They are basically the same frames. It's a long story, most of it posted in a couple of different threads on this forum. Eventually, a couple of dollars worth of microspacers took care of the headset play.

Nickk2000

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »
Oh okay so it was more vertical play rather than lateral play? It wouldnt be good to be wanting to turn and the wheel doesnt turn lol. What i meant by unheard of is out of how many frames bought (or so youve seen) has this problem been encountered

FHS

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »
Oh okay so it was more vertical play rather than lateral play? It wouldnt be good to be wanting to turn and the wheel doesn't turn lol. What i meant by unheard of is out of how many frames bought (or so youve seen) has this problem been encountered

No, it was lateral play caused by the headset top cover not pressing down on the compression ring properly. From what I can tell from reading posts, I'm not the only one who was having the issue with the X21 for sure. From what I can tell, there might be an issue with the way the integrated headset is designed for the frame. Without the microspacers, the top cover would rub against the frame before putting enough pressure on the compression ring. Other than that, I haven't had any real issues with the frame. Seems like a solid design.

adriaanm

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »
I had the same issue with my R11, but quickly fixed it with a few micro spacers thanks to your post.

Edit: I don’t actually think this is an issue with the frame design/production. It seems logical (in retrospect) that you need some spacers with an integrated headset design like this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:22:25 AM by adriaanm »

FHS

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »
I had the same issue with my R11, but quickly fixed it with a few micro spacers thanks to your post.

Edit: I don’t actually think this is an issue with the frame design/production. It seems logical (in retrospect) that you need some spacers with an integrated headset design like this.

Great, glad it was helpful! Very frustrating, issue.

fcs01

« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »
Does anyone have an update from Chris on their frame?
Mine was supposed to be ready this week, but it seems like there'll be more delays as I didn't receive an update

wijmaar

« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »
Does anyone have an update from Chris on their frame?
Mine was supposed to be ready this week, but it seems like there'll be more delays as I didn't receive an update

I checked beginning of this week, at that time he was expecting to receive the handlebars next week and ship the frames shortly thereafter.

braincore

« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2021, 10:35:39 PM »
I'm building my R-186 now! Did anyone order the velobuild wheelset? I can't tell if the red rim tape is good enough for tubeless or if I need to replace it.

braincore

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »
I just installed the tubeless tire, added the tire sealant, and was pumping it up when the wheel sidewall ruptured at around 60psi. Has anyone seen this before?

The installation was straightforward otherwise. I did use a tire lever for the last bit, but that was over the presta valve (opposite side of this photo). Is there something I could have done to cause this? I'm using a floor pump (Topeak), not an air compressor, and my pumping wasn't excessive, so I don't think the pressure gauge could have been far off.

Hopefully I can get a replacement though I am a bit concerned about the safety now...

braincore

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2021, 02:36:45 AM »
My current guess is that the red rim tape wasn't airtight so the rim cavity became pressurized and couldn't handle it. I actually asked Chris whether the rim tape was sufficient and maybe the question got lost in translation but he suggested it would be fine.

FHS

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Wow, sorry to see that happen to you.

I've had rim tape fail before. When that happens, the tire fails to pressurize. Either way, I imagine that it's a serious flaw if you can blow out the side of your carbon rim with a floor pump.

Mattias

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2021, 03:25:06 PM »
I just installed the tubeless tire, added the tire sealant, and was pumping it up when the wheel sidewall ruptured at around 60psi. Has anyone seen this before?

The installation was straightforward otherwise. I did use a tire lever for the last bit, but that was over the presta valve (opposite side of this photo). Is there something I could have done to cause this? I'm using a floor pump (Topeak), not an air compressor, and my pumping wasn't excessive, so I don't think the pressure gauge could have been far off.

Hopefully I can get a replacement though I am a bit concerned about the safety now...
The red tape was not intended for tubeless, you need a tubless rim tape

braincore

« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »
For what it's worth, I sent the rear wheel to an LBS today (to remove myself from the equation), and they experienced the same rupture and delamination.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2021, 02:03:17 AM »
Wow thats awful! Sorry for your loss...

Im actually surprised the nipples didnt leak under that kind of pressure.

Hope you find a good replacement.

wijmaar

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2021, 01:22:41 AM »
Anybody who heard from Chris?