Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201056 times)

Nickk2000

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #285 on: July 21, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
the inside looks pretty decently done! is that 3k twill or 12k? that doesnt look like uni at the head tube.

Velobuild is great (or so i read) but how do they send the wrong bearing size?

website says both top and bottom are 1 1/2.

hope they cover the cost to ship those bearings and such. id be unhappy but not pissed.
it also does look very nice. looks pretty shiny too! i notice with a lot of open molds sometimes you dont get a shiny finish that youd see on expensive frames, this looks like a 7/10 while my dengfu was like a 4/10 for shininess. yoeleo would be like a 8-9/10 and a 10/10 would be like a factor one for example.

when you can, can you send a flex test of the handlebar, oz cycles did one with his yoeleo bars where he put his legs on the sides of the front wheel and rocked/flexed the handlebar in the drops.

kinda wish i was in the market for a new frame because the 168 and 177 i cant take my eyes off.

https://www.airevelobearings.com/product/specialized-tarmac-sl7-headset-kit/

these look like the bearings, just google tarmac sl7 headset size and do a bit of digging.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:15:23 PM by Nickk2000 »

wijmaar

« Reply #286 on: July 21, 2021, 03:37:50 PM »
the inside looks pretty decently done! is that 3k twill or 12k? that doesnt look like uni at the head tube.

Velobuild is great (or so i read) but how do they send the wrong bearing size?

website says both top and bottom are 1 1/2.

hope they cover the cost to ship those bearings and such. id be unhappy but not pissed.
it also does look very nice. looks pretty shiny too! i notice with a lot of open molds sometimes you dont get a shiny finish that youd see on expensive frames, this looks like a 7/10 while my dengfu was like a 4/10 for shininess. yoeleo would be like a 8-9/10 and a 10/10 would be like a factor one for example.

when you can, can you send a flex test of the handlebar, oz cycles did one with his yoeleo bars where he put his legs on the sides of the front wheel and rocked/flexed the handlebar in the drops.

kinda wish i was in the market for a new frame because the 168 and 177 i cant take my eyes off.

https://www.airevelobearings.com/product/specialized-tarmac-sl7-headset-kit/

these look like the bearings, just google tarmac sl7 headset size and do a bit of digging.

Thanks a lot! Not sure about the 3k or 12k, not really my field of expertise :).

Managed to find the correct bearing based on measurements of the one that was supplied, seems to be a standard 1,5" bearing.

OD: 52mm
ID: 40mm
Thickness: 7mm
Angle: 45/45

Furthermore I quickly test fitted the SL7 seatpost cover, fits perfectly:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:40:10 PM by wijmaar »

Nickk2000

« Reply #287 on: July 21, 2021, 04:20:40 PM »
Got a handy scale?

Also, does anyone know who actually makes velobuilds frames? Curious if anyones gone direct from manuf.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:45:30 PM by Nickk2000 »

jokage

« Reply #288 on: July 21, 2021, 10:19:34 PM »
They did send me the wrong headset bearings... Anybody knows the correct size?

I hope I'd get the correct ones. I'd hate to wait/order for the correct ones.

Managed to find the correct bearing based on measurements of the one that was supplied, seems to be a standard 1,5" bearing.

So you received the ones for tapered headset? It seems that there are a bunch of 'standards'.

Also, does anyone know who actually makes velobuilds frames? Curious if anyones gone direct from manuf.

I couldn't find other vendors who sell frames from the same mould as the 168 and 177. Maybe VB made an exclusive deal with the manufacturer?

Manufacturer might sell them for a higher price for individual orders. As I understand it, one of the reasons for VB's existence is to buffer the orders to the manufacturer.

toben

« Reply #289 on: July 21, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »
I am trying to find out how to secure the seatpost. Is there a clamp or something that keeps it from sliding down?

Here is my VBR 168 I am finally building. It is a dark metallic red but the pictures do not do it justice due to a lack of light. I will take more pictures in the daylight outside to show it off when I am done.

I went with a size 56 which is down a size so hopefully it fits. I am on the line between 56/58.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:42:57 PM by toben »

wijmaar

« Reply #290 on: July 22, 2021, 01:10:42 AM »
I am trying to find out how to secure the seatpost. Is there a clamp or something that keeps it from sliding down?

Here is my VBR 168 I am finally building. It is a dark metallic red but the pictures do not do it justice due to a lack of light. I will take more pictures in the daylight outside to show it off when I am done.

I went with a size 56 which is down a size so hopefully it fits. I am on the line between 56/58.

There should be a wedge included which you slide in the seat tube from the top, this wedge can be tightened using a hex bolt from the underside. I will share a picture of the wedge later today if needed.

AngelDust

« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2021, 03:43:58 AM »
Thanks a lot! Not sure about the 3k or 12k, not really my field of expertise :).

is the seatpost the same design too with SL7?
maybe can reduce some weight with sl7 seatpost if it's swabable

Btw did you weight the frame and fork?

Nice one btw still waiting mine to be shipped from chris but chris still hasn't answer it yet

jokage

« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2021, 04:01:11 AM »
Nice one btw still waiting mine to be shipped from chris but chris still hasn't answer it yet

Be patient. Stick to their estimates. A day or two after the promised date, if there's still no shipping, check again with them.

Is your frame still waiting anything? Mine was waiting for the bar and it got shipped 2 weeks later than the initial estimate.

AngelDust

« Reply #293 on: July 22, 2021, 05:27:34 AM »
Be patient. Stick to their estimates. A day or two after the promised date, if there's still no shipping, check again with them.

Is your frame still waiting anything? Mine was waiting for the bar and it got shipped 2 weeks later than the initial estimate.

actually its been +5 day from the estimated delivery date chris promised me
in monday he checked the paintshop but i guess still not finished
i hope tommorow mine will be shipped

Can't wait to build it

Natas

« Reply #294 on: July 22, 2021, 06:47:54 AM »

Where did you buy your SL7 seatpost cover? Thanks in advance

Natas

« Reply #295 on: July 22, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »

is the seatpost the same design too with SL7?
maybe can reduce some weight with sl7 seatpost if it's swabable

Btw did you weight the frame and fork?

There is a light seatpost by Darimo for Tarmac SL7 https://r2-bike.com/DARIMO-CARBON-Seatpost-T1-Aero-UD-matte-black-for-Specialized-Tarmac-SL7-from-2021-15-mm-Offset-Di2, but expensive  ??? ???
But, I've not idea if it's fit on our VB-R-168 ??

OlieSimpson

« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »
There is a light seatpost by Darimo for Tarmac SL7 https://r2-bike.com/DARIMO-CARBON-Seatpost-T1-Aero-UD-matte-black-for-Specialized-Tarmac-SL7-from-2021-15-mm-Offset-Di2, but expensive  ??? ???
But, I've not idea if it's fit on our VB-R-168 ??

Baffles me how a seatpost can cost almost as much as the frame does!

I'd love to find a cheap aftermarket carbon SL7 post, ideally light that comes with a 0mm offset.

hazzer19

« Reply #297 on: July 22, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »

Awesome, I ordered a SL7 cover from my LBS last week taking a chance and glad to hear it fits. The part number is S204900003 and they quoted me under $10

toben

« Reply #298 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
There should be a wedge included which you slide in the seat tube from the top, this wedge can be tightened using a hex bolt from the underside. I will share a picture of the wedge later today if needed.

Yes show me a picture - this is the only thing I seem to be missing.

toben

« Reply #299 on: July 22, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
I found this seatpost cover on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384280172714