Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201107 times)

AngelDust

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #330 on: July 29, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »
It's plain matte finish. I didn't ask for any customizations. Note that it included the axle and 4 cage bolts which all are already installed when I opened the box.

I am 169cm with an inseam of approx 77cm, saddle height 66-67cm. The sizing tool from Specialized suggested me to go for the 52 but I decided to get the 49. My decision was primarily based on the effective-top-tube length. Fixing a stack that is too low should be easier than fixing a reach that is too far.

I haven't actually started my build, but I've already temporarily set them up to check things in the box and to get some idea of the finished build.

Reach-wise, with the 400/90 bar, I am pretty much satisfied with it. I am pretty sure that I won't need to stretch my upper body to access the hoods, and it doesn't feel too small. I'd get a bar with a longer stem if so.

The stack might be the one that is not ideal. It's simply aggressive* even with all of the provided spacers. If it's preferred to get more of an upright position, you might want to ask for extra spacers (it's probably ugly, but...).

I can't provide any real confirmations for now.

Hope that helps.

Edit: by aggressive I mean that there will be ≥5cm diff between top of the bar and top of saddle.

Thanks & appreciated for the info, maybe mine will be 1080-1100 (I ask to paint it light metallic blue) hope it will lighter though
but Chris haven't shipped it yet , its almost a month where he said he can finished it in 2 weeks  :'(
can't wait to see other final build and yours *cheers

adriaanm

« Reply #331 on: July 29, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »
If it's preferred to get more of an upright position, you might want to ask for extra spacers (it's probably ugly, but...).
That’s not a good idea, as far as I’ve read. For safety, there’s a maximum stack of spacers you can put under the stem. Usually 30mm of spacers is the max for a carbon steerer.

jokage

« Reply #332 on: July 29, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »
That’s not a good idea, as far as I’ve read. For safety, there’s a maximum stack of spacers you can put under the stem. Usually 30mm of spacers is the max for a carbon steerer.
I didn't know. I thought that the spacers add structural strengthening to the steerer. Thanks for the info.

1Sigma

« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Thanks & appreciated for the info, maybe mine will be 1080-1100 (I ask to paint it light metallic blue) hope it will lighter though
but Chris haven't shipped it yet , its almost a month where he said he can finished it in 2 weeks  :'(
can't wait to see other final build and yours *cheers

Same boat here.  2 weeks behind.  I even asked for a realistic ship date, understanding they might be busier than usual.
Also, my status still shows as "Awaiting Payment" which is a bit annoying.

Could anyone chime in if Chris actually sends you a notification once it is shipped, or do you just get a courier notification one day?
Better than average - Extra Average

fcs01

« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
Same boat here.  2 weeks behind.  I even asked for a realistic ship date, understanding they might be busier than usual.
Also, my status still shows as "Awaiting Payment" which is a bit annoying.

Could anyone chime in if Chris actually sends you a notification once it is shipped, or do you just get a courier notification one day?

Yeah VB lately are being funny about deadlines, which wasn't the case when I ordered my 099 at the end of October as I got it the first week of December. I guess they are working with a different manufacturer/supplier which may be running behind, the 168 being a really popular design from how many frames they sold. Mine was supposed to be shipped by the end of March, but got shipped last week. Savage lol

In autumn last year I got an email notification of shipment, while last week they texted on skype the tracking number but no other notifications whatsoever. I guess texting them and ask is the better way

AngelDust

« Reply #335 on: July 29, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
Yeah VB lately are being funny about deadlines, which wasn't the case when I ordered my 099 at the end of October as I got it the first week of December. I guess they are working with a different manufacturer/supplier which may be running behind, the 168 being a really popular design from how many frames they sold. Mine was supposed to be shipped by the end of March, but got shipped last week. Savage lol

In autumn last year I got an email notification of shipment, while last week they texted on skype the tracking number but no other notifications whatsoever. I guess texting them and ask is the better way

Chris promised me the paint will be finished yesterday but still no answer about it
Hope today will get news from him about the update
wow 4 month behind the schedule? that's not a good news for me

jokage

« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2021, 12:51:03 AM »

In my case, I've got an automated email from their site which says that the shipping process has started. It was at the 'Awaiting Shipping' status while it was waiting for the bar.

1Sigma

« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2021, 12:12:09 PM »
In my case, I've got an automated email from their site which says that the shipping process has started. It was at the 'Awaiting Shipping' status while it was waiting for the bar.

Chris emailed me saying he could ship Monday, but with the 2-bolt bar and in 440/110
I kindly told him that I would like the original bar, in the requested size (420/110), and that it was OK if I had to wait - I am in no rush. 

Let’s see what the response is.

I’d rather wait for the correct order, than rush to have my wrists and shoulders jacked by the wrong sized bars.

jokage

« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
I kindly told him that I would like the original bar

If you want it to be perfect, and you can wait, definitely try to get the original version. The clamp of the two-bolt version is noticeably smaller compared to the spacers and the cap. While from the photos I can find, the original seems to be matching them really well. It doesn't affect the functionality in any way, but it does irritate my eyes.

1Sigma

« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »
If you want it to be perfect, and you can wait, definitely try to get the original version. The clamp of the two-bolt version is noticeably smaller compared to the spacers and the cap. While from the photos I can find, the original seems to be matching them really well. It doesn't affect the functionality in any way, but it does irritate my eyes.

Yea, he replied “ Sorry for mistake .we painted bar together with your frame already .we will send out Monday”
No.  I can accept the different model, but not the wrong size.
He wants me to accept the bars, as I requested them painted so now they are a custom item…

AngelDust

« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2021, 11:38:56 PM »
Chris emailed me saying he could ship Monday, but with the 2-bolt bar and in 440/110
I kindly told him that I would like the original bar, in the requested size (420/110), and that it was OK if I had to wait - I am in no rush. 

Let’s see what the response is.

I’d rather wait for the correct order, than rush to have my wrists and shoulders jacked by the wrong sized bars.

I hope mine can be shipped in monday also

btw about the bar , i wil use another bar i have in stock , it won't be a problem right? i have Deda Alanera bars from aliexpress that i used before

1Sigma

« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2021, 10:30:36 PM »
I hope mine can be shipped in monday also

Apparently I will receive the correct bars, and it will still be shipped Monday.

For reference, design was finalized and payment received by VB on June 24.
So, that’s 5 and a half weeks.

He says 2 to 3 weeks, but 4 to 6 weeks fell within my expectations. 
Dont know how long shipping will take.

fcs01

« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »
Hey guys, quick update on my build, which I hope might help who still need to start:

After managing the internal routing, I realised that I couldn't eliminate the headset play without locking the steering. After quite a few trials, I realised that the problem could be that the compression ring that sits above the top bearing, is sitting too low for the dust cover to compress it down once the top cap is tightened, which result in the dust cover pushing on the frame instead of the headset (as it has downward lip), while pulling up the fork excessively. As I put some cardboard/plastic strips on top of the compression ring as spacers (didn't have nothing better on hand), it seems fine, although some paint paid the price while figuring this out.

Obvs is not a solution but I intend to redo the wiring in a few weeks, once I remove the spacers and re-cut the fork, so i'll fix all that at once with some spacer-half-ring or something. Maybe a 1-2mm extra height in the top bearing could do, need to do some research on that. If anyone has ideas, fire away ;D

Hope it helps if anyone has/will have the same issue ;)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:30:19 AM by fcs01 »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2021, 06:40:21 AM »
Hey guys, quick update on my build, which I hope might help who still need to start:

After managing the internal routing, I realised that I couldn't eliminate the headset play without locking the steering. After quite a few trials, I realised that the problem could be that the compression ring that sits above the top bearing, is sitting too low for the dust cover to compress it down once the top cap is tightened, which result in the dust cover pushing on the frame instead of the headset (as it has downward lip), while pulling up the fork excessively. As I put some cardboard/plastic strips on top of the compression ring as spacers (didn't have nothing better on hand), it seems fine, although some paint paid the price while figuring this out.

Obvs is not a solution but I intend to redo the wiring in a few weeks, once I remove the spacers and re-cut the fork, so i'll fix all that at once with some spacer-half-ring or something. Maybe a 1-2mm extra height in the top bearing could do, need to do some research on that. If anyone has ideas, fire away ;D

Hope it helps if anyone has/will have the same issue ;)

Some of these would probably help: https://www.bike-components.de/en/FSA/Micro-Spacer-for-Integrated-Headsets-p7698/?o=300069-silver-1-1-8-&delivery_country=NL&gclid=CjwKCAjwjJmIBhA4EiwAQdCbxphutMOEaE4FZdwqrjjwKWg_931LSH2cvdmBo4OMPOphM-T1k8En_hoCA6oQAvD_BwE

St0mpB0x

« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
On a traditional headset those microspacers would help. In this case the cables get in the way so the spacers don't cleanly slide over the steerer.