Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 200272 times)

vasnd

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
Bike has been well tested, beautiful.

FHS

« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
On a traditional headset those microspacers would help. In this case the cables get in the way so the spacers don't cleanly slide over the steerer.

Those microspacers are easy to snip to fit an integrated headset.

1Sigma

« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »

Great paint design!
Better than average - Extra Average

AngelDust

« Reply #348 on: August 01, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »

Nice one
how's the ride feels? any huge different with branded one?

AngelDust

« Reply #349 on: August 01, 2021, 09:33:31 PM »
Apparently I will receive the correct bars, and it will still be shipped Monday.

For reference, design was finalized and payment received by VB on June 24.
So, that’s 5 and a half weeks.

He says 2 to 3 weeks, but 4 to 6 weeks fell within my expectations. 
Dont know how long shipping will take.

Chris just told me this morning that mine is already packed well
but i still don't know about the shipping and he doesn't provide the info but i hope its today

OlieSimpson

« Reply #350 on: August 01, 2021, 11:52:39 PM »
On a traditional headset those microspacers would help. In this case the cables get in the way so the spacers don't cleanly slide over the steerer.

Yeah they would need to be modded to be the same shape as the crescent shaped compression ring. Given they are only 1/4 of a mm thick I can't imagine that would be hard to do and would probably provide the most elegant solution.

You also wouldn't need to remove anything from the bike or re-do the cables as they should be able to slot around the steerer tube once they've been cut to shape.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2021, 12:11:48 AM »

Looks very nice indeed!

Would love to hear more about it, how did the rest of the build go, any issues? How did you end up routing the cables? Did the FSA headset/stem work okay etc.?

And how is the ride which is probably the most important part  :)

jokage

« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2021, 01:07:37 AM »

Beautiful indeed. I believe that's the size 49. First time seeing a completed one.

How's the access to the bottle? I am thinking of getting cages that allow access from the sides.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:10:37 AM by jokage »

wijmaar

« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2021, 03:46:52 AM »
I still promised to share some specs of my build, so hereby :).

Frameset: Velobuild VB-R-168 (O RLY?  ;D), Size 56
Wheelset: Farsports Kaze 35, 23mm (ext) width, DT Swiss 350, Sapim CX ray with brass nipples
Tires: Schwalbe Pro One EVO TLE (set-up tubelss with Schwalbe valves and Orange Seal endurance)
Bar: Two bolt Velobuild bar 420/100
Bottle cages: Tacx Ciro (Matt black)
Seat: Specialized power expert 155mm
BB: Shimano Dura Ace BB92
Crankset: Rotor ALDHU24
Chainrings: Rotor Q Rings Sram AXS, 48/35
Groupset: SRAM Force eTap AXS 2x12, 160mm discs, 10-28 cassette

I love the ride so far, the bike feels really fast and gives a great sense of control.

I do have one issue, even though I have tightened the seatpost to 7nm it somehow is making a sort of knocking sound if I stand up and sit down. It seems like the post has too much room to move in the seat tube... Anybody else experencing this?

AngelDust

« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:36 AM »
I still promised to share some specs of my build, so hereby :).

Frameset: Velobuild VB-R-168 (O RLY?  ;D), Size 56
Wheelset: Farsports Kaze 35, 23mm (ext) width, DT Swiss 350, Sapim CX ray with brass nipples
Tires: Schwalbe Pro One EVO TLE (set-up tubelss with Schwalbe valves and Orange Seal endurance)
Bar: Two bolt Velobuild bar 420/100
Bottle cages: Tacx Ciro (Matt black)
Seat: Specialized power expert 155mm
BB: Shimano Dura Ace BB92
Crankset: Rotor ALDHU24
Chainrings: Rotor Q Rings Sram AXS, 48/35
Groupset: SRAM Force eTap AXS 2x12, 160mm discs, 10-28 cassette

I love the ride so far, the bike feels really fast and gives a great sense of control.

I do have one issue, even though I have tightened the seatpost to 7nm it somehow is making a sort of knocking sound if I stand up and sit down. It seems like the post has too much room to move in the seat tube... Anybody else experencing this?

Nice bike indeed
what's the final weight?

maybe should apply more carbon paste? never have an issue like that before

St0mpB0x

« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2021, 01:15:50 AM »
Those microspacers are easy to snip to fit an integrated headset.
Sometimes the simple solution is easy to miss. Woops  :-[

AngelDust

« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2021, 06:40:58 AM »
Hi guys
i wanna ask about the tracking number from Chris
He said the EMS already picked the item and will update the tracking number but the tracking hasn't show up
is anyone had the same situation?

cheers*

vasnd

« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »
Great paint design!
Thanks!

Nice one
how's the ride feels? any huge different with branded one?
It is ridden by my girlfriend with near to no technical bike knowledge. She mentioned it feels fast, stable and comfortable.

Looks very nice indeed!

Would love to hear more about it, how did the rest of the build go, any issues? How did you end up routing the cables? Did the FSA headset/stem work okay etc.?

And how is the ride which is probably the most important part  :)
My first attempt at internal cabling resulted in a stripped and damaged outer layer of most cables. The FSA ACR stem (70mm) and bar (36cm) have a lot of -very- tight bends. These places also have sharp metal edges so in my second attempt I carefully guided the cables to make sure they didn't chafe on those sharp edges. Treat it as a one-way job because pulling cables back results in catching and damage. Also, I noticed the Velobuild bearings had a different angling compared to my ACR headset ones, so I switched those back on the second cabling-pass. The ACR headset is designed to take the front hydraulic brake cable through the top of the expansion plug and steerer, but that is not possible in the Velobuild fork. So I routed everything trough the just big enough gap in the compression ring, and tried to route it as logical as possible (left/right and minimal cable crossing). The brake hose enters the fork about halfway into the steerer and neatly exits above the brake mount. There's a few mm too big of a gap between frame and headset cover for my liking, but there's no play in the headset whatsoever so I'll gladly deal with it. When angling the handlebar in extreme positions the cable housing shorten and lengthen through the frame which could result in unwanted shifts, but with full internal cabling I imagine that is unavoidable as there is no place to loop excess housing. Shifting and breaking is working fine. I tightened the seatpost wedge to 6nm and put on a thin layer of carbon paste. There is no slippage, but it's at 55kg rider weight.
The finish is good, not perfect. Between the layers there is a noticeable hight difference. A few dings here and there. Be very careful around the headtube area, paint easily chips around those edges. It did certainly meet our expectation. The colors are vibrant and the chameleon/metallic color has a premium look to it.

All in all impressed by the build quality and finish. It is going to be seriously put to the test in the French Vosges and Alps coming weeks (Col du Grand Ballon, Alpe d'Huez, Col du Galibier, Col d'Iseran etc.).

Beautiful indeed. I believe that's the size 49. First time seeing a completed one.

How's the access to the bottle? I am thinking of getting cages that allow access from the sides.
Ding ding ding, you are right. It's the size 49 frame.
The bottle cages are well positioned for such a smalle frame size, plenty of clearance. Did not hear any complaints during the test ride!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:00:33 AM by vasnd »

vasnd

« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2021, 07:54:30 AM »
Hi guys
i wanna ask about the tracking number from Chris
He said the EMS already picked the item and will update the tracking number but the tracking hasn't show up
is anyone had the same situation?

cheers*
Try putting the number in here:
http://www.wxy-express.com/index.php/home/TrackingResult.html?l=en-us

It's shown me the first part of the journey.

AngelDust

« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2021, 08:02:48 AM »
Try putting the number in here:
http://www.wxy-express.com/index.php/home/TrackingResult.html?l=en-us

It's shown me the first part of the journey.

sorry, i mean Chris hasn't give me any tracking number yet
and he promised to give me a photo after painting process
but he kinda dodge it and said already sent it to me also the EMS already picked up the package
is it normal with velobuild process?