Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201146 times)

vasnd

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #360 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:00 AM »
sorry, i mean Chris hasn't give me any tracking number yet
and he promised to give me a photo after painting process
but he kinda dodge it and said already sent it to me also the EMS already picked up the package
is it normal with velobuild process?
Ah. I also ordered wheels and they were a bit delayed. So got paint pics first and frame was send a bit later together with the wheels.
My own frame should be at the painter atm. For some weeks now. It's the same design (different colors) so might be a bit complex and time consuming for them. Asked Chris multiple times for updates. But he doesn't know much details it seems. He can only say it is 'being painted' / 'at paint shop'. It looks like the paint shop is swamped with orders at the moment. They work a bit different there, typical China. When pressed they struggle a bit to answer and it is very confusing. It'll come, but I hate being patient and not receiving clear answers.

1Sigma

« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »
It's in the mail!

Interested to see how it turns out in person.  The chameleon red/black looks almost purple.
Also he said they painted the seat post, which I didn't ask for, but it might work out.

Edit: I am not smoking right? This is clearly Chameleon purple.
Should I care, or leave well enough alone?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:29:20 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »
yeah, thats chameleon purple. almost like it has a hint of red. Did they really paint the handlebars? That's surprising. I dont think itll be too noticeable once its taped up but i personally would like to have the seatpost and handlebars be matte black.

1Sigma

« Reply #363 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:03 AM »
I actually requested the stem and flats be painted.
I only tape just past the shifters, which will leave the flats exposed (I almost never ride on he flats)

Unless by some miracle it was just some trickery of the light, I will send the bike right back and ask for it to me repainted.  I mean, it won't affect the ride obviously, but I chose things like brake calipers, rotors, bar tape, heck even my bike computer based on a red colour scheme. 

I don't mind waiting. At this point I don't mind missing riding my new bike during this year's riding season due to waiting for.

But I do mind not getting what I ordered. 

fcs01

« Reply #364 on: August 05, 2021, 11:49:48 AM »

When ordering mine, I thought about making it red, but after seeing other frames on the custom paint page I realised the name red chameleon is completely misleading. Even if this is different from the purple chameleon, this one looks like an aubergine purple/burgundy. I think it looks good, but yeah, it does not look red.

I think is like this one http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-086-chameleon-redurple-look-carbon-bike-frame-aero-road

Nickk2000

« Reply #365 on: August 05, 2021, 12:20:41 PM »
I actually requested the stem and flats be painted.
I only tape just past the shifters, which will leave the flats exposed (I almost never ride on he flats)

Unless by some miracle it was just some trickery of the light, I will send the bike right back and ask for it to me repainted.  I mean, it won't affect the ride obviously, but I chose things like brake calipers, rotors, bar tape, heck even my bike computer based on a red colour scheme. 

I don't mind waiting. At this point I don't mind missing riding my new bike during this year's riding season due to waiting for.

But I do mind not getting what I ordered.

I understand if theres paint issues you want to return it, but theres no way you wouldnt be paying for shipping to and from, at that point, itll be like $200 and you can get it done at an autobody shop!

1Sigma

« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2021, 09:34:43 AM »
When ordering mine, I thought about making it red, but after seeing other frames on the custom paint page I realised the name red chameleon is completely misleading. Even if this is different from the purple chameleon, this one looks like an aubergine purple/burgundy. I think it looks good, but yeah, it does not look red.

I think is like this one http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-086-chameleon-redurple-look-carbon-bike-frame-aero-road
Yea, he showed me that bike too, to which I said "Can you do this" and provided an appropriate chameleon paint chip.  He said it'd be more black than red, but should be possible.  Apparently it wasn't.  Confirmed, per your suspicion, this is their "Chameleon Red", which is not any sort of red in chinese or english

Attached is the paint chip I provided versus end result

I understand if theres paint issues you want to return it, but theres no way you wouldnt be paying for shipping to and from, at that point, itll be like $200 and you can get it done at an autobody shop!

True, but for the money sunk, I'll probably just ride it as-is.  Performance will all the same in the end.  Just a little maddening, that's all. 
I doubt he'll refund the paint job fee, but if I can get full credit for the paint and decals, I might just apply against another frame so I can build a bike for the wife....
Sure, they'll get more of my business, but as they say, "when you have lemons...."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:36:22 AM by 1Sigma »

hazzer19

« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2021, 01:18:25 AM »
I had similar issues with the paint job in that I requested this chamaleon purple http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/2020urple-chameleonaint-carbon-road-disc-frame-vb-r-099-hidden-cables

and got this chamaleon purple http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-168-light-weight-carbon-road-bike-frameset-purple-chameleon

When I brought it up I was told it must be the lighting and that there is only one chamaleon purple, but I'm pretty sure those are two different mixes.

On a separate note, tonight while out on a ride and changing a flat, the thread from the rear hanger on my 168 stripped. I don't believe I had been overtoqueing it. When ordering the frame I specifically asked for spare hangers for situations like this but looking at them now there isn't a thru axle one and now I can't tighten my back wheel.

Will be asking for a couple of more. In the meantime if anyone has any tips on getting a stripped thread on a hanger to hold better, please let me know!

Schumo

« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2021, 12:02:34 PM »
I had similar issues with the paint job in that I requested this chamaleon purple http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/2020urple-chameleonaint-carbon-road-disc-frame-vb-r-099-hidden-cables

Looks more like a plain metallic/candy purple to me

St0mpB0x

« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
Yeah I agree with Schumo. That first one you linked looks like a straight purple. Maaaaaybe it has the slightest shift to red at high angle.

jokage

« Reply #370 on: August 09, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »
Does anyone know split spacer that is compatible with 186's bar & headset? I want to play around with the bar height, but provided spacers require me to reinstall all the cables each time I reconfigure the spacers.

Edit: just checked their site again. They have a new bar (HB011). And it seems that it comes with split spacers and probably compatible with 168's / HB010. I just sent a message to them asking if I can get those spacers.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:01:37 AM by jokage »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #371 on: August 09, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »
Does anyone know split spacer that is compatible with 186's bar & headset? I want to play around with the bar height, but provided spacers require me to reinstall all the cables each time I reconfigure the spacers.

Edit: just checked their site again. They have a new bar (HB011). And it seems that it comes with split spacers and probably compatible with 168's / HB010. I just sent a message to them asking if I can get those spacers.

The new bar looks great, I much prefer the profile to the HB010 and the split spacers would be a massive help for tuning the bike fit.

I'm still waiting for my order to be processed so have asked Chris if they can ship with the HB011 instead of the HB010, will see what he says.

**EDIT** Chris has confirmed that you can replace the HB010 with the HB011 with no additional charges, so I should be receiving this with the split spacers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:01:52 AM by OlieSimpson »

jokage

« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2021, 01:15:19 AM »
They also confirmed the spacers are only fit for the HB011. *sadface*

1Sigma

« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »

Confirmed.  I was told I'd get the HB011 instead of the HB010, but in 440mm
Although, on my pic it looks like I was sent the HB010 (but in the correct size

EDIT: Anyone ever get the impression that "Chris" is actually a team of reps, all just signing emails as "Chris"?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:46:06 AM by 1Sigma »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
Confirmed.  I was told I'd get the HB011 instead of the HB010, but in 440mm
Although, on my pic it looks like I was sent the HB010 (but in the correct size

EDIT: Anyone ever get the impression that "Chris" is actually a team of reps, all just signing emails as "Chris"?

Yeah it looks like you have the HB010 from the pics.

And for sure, I don't think Chris is one person!