Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201041 times)

Snacks

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »
Hello, I received yesterday my VB-R-168 and all was great.
Today, I started the build and I'm totally disappointed with how the handlebar is soft / flex
Take a look at the video https://www.casimages.com/v/lc6oMb-20210813-131911.mp4.html
For sure, personally and for my security, I will not ride with this handlebar.
So now, I should find and buy another handlebar more stiffer (Specialized / FSA / ???)

Tbh it doesn't look like the handlebars are flexing. Even though they move side to side they are straight. Now if the stem is twisting we can't tell since we don't see it in the clip. I mean even with poorly formed carbon I can't imagine the stem would twist like that without cracking. To me it looks like there's too much space between the top of the stem and the top cap. Or maybe the little dimples on the stem/spacer aren't aligned

In anycase , you can try the FSA acr headset and stem with any handlebars that have internal routing . Like these

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKg71vZ
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:24:12 AM by Snacks »

1Sigma

« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
Thank you 1Sigma for this proposition, but the integration of the cables in the top headset will not be the best, it should be necessary to have an hole under the stem to have a perfect integration.
I saw that you have also received your frame, did you notice this flex on the handlebar?

Unfortunately I have not assembled it yet, so I cannot report.

I hate to say this, and please do not take offense, but it almost looks as though the compression plug for the steerer was set too low, making the handlebars clamp to hollow carbon (which would allow it to get crushed). 
If you remove the handlebar, can you see the condition of the steerer tube?

Also, did anyone else notice the bizarre link to a cross-dressing store on the site?  BTW, I clicked on it so you don't have to. If you have little ones or at the office, don't do it...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:36:40 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

FHS

« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »

Snacks

« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2021, 11:08:41 AM »

I hate to say this, and please do not take offense, but it almost looks as though the compression plug for the steerer was set too low, making the handlebars clamp to hollow carbon (which would allow it to get crushed). 

Also, did anyone else notice the bizarre link to a cross-dressing store on the site?  BTW, I clicked on it so you don't have to. If you have little ones or at the office, don't do it...
Hahah I just saw your post in the other section. I was tempted to click but glad I didn't as I'm at work. Very weird side project for them

OlieSimpson

« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »

I hate to say this, and please do not take offence, but it almost looks as though the compression plug for the steerer was set too low, making the handlebars clamp to hollow carbon (which would allow it to get crushed). 

I think it would help to see a side view and top view video of the flex as it's hard to tell what's happening from this angle.

Natas

« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
I would like to say that I'm not at my first build, almost 10 bikes (road, MTB, chinese, branded, Dengfu, Cannondale, OPEN Cycle, etc...)

To resume, I cut the fork steerer under the top of the stem and when I put the expander there is more or less 3mm free, to the top of the stem, so enought to compress the headset.
There is no spacer installed under the stem.

For me this flex is coming from the stem

Apart from that, a photo of the bike under construction (size 56cm, color blue chameleon)

And a little hack on the seat post (gain 28gr)

OlieSimpson

« Reply #396 on: August 13, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »
I would like to say that I'm not at my first build, almost 10 bikes (road, MTB, chinese, branded, Dengfu, Cannondale, OPEN Cycle, etc...)

To resume, I cut the fork steerer under the top of the stem and when I put the expander there is more or less 3mm free, to the top of the stem, so enought to compress the headset.

Apart from that, a photo of the bike under construction (size 56cm, color blue chameleon)

The colour looks lovely! It also looks like you have the new HB011 bar which is what I'm expecting with my order, so will be keenly following any updates you have on this.

I wonder if its to do with the lack of head tube spacer, did you try it with spacers before you cut the steerer?

Which Juin tech brakes did you go for? I can't decide between the F1 or the GT's, not sure if 4 pistons are a bit overkill for a road bike or not.

Also what did you do to tune the seatpost?

Snacks

« Reply #397 on: August 13, 2021, 03:53:36 PM »

My bad dude. Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what you're doing. Was just giving my observation.

I did,  however, go check my own bike, velobuild r099 , and actually I have a pretty similar amount if flex in the stem too. I guess it's been fine but for some peace of mind looks like I'm taking my own advice and getting the FSA  ACR headset and stem now

1Sigma

« Reply #398 on: August 13, 2021, 04:46:24 PM »

Clearly you know what you are doing. Since it's a new build, might as well as VB for a replacement under warranty. 

Also, sure 28g from the seatpost, but just think how much weight you are saved by not installing the drivetrain!
Better than average - Extra Average

JutSu

« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »

Your "flexed" handlebar issue is really strange, so there is no flex from the fork ? Only the handlebar ?

Thanks for the photo, this color looks so nice ! I am about to order the same frame soon and will probably ask for the same color, is it just blue chameleon or is there a more specific color ? Is it the same as this one : http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-099-chameleon-blue-aero-road-carbon-bike-frame ? (it looks a bit different but that might be due to the lights).

Regarding the wheels, is it the lightbicycle AR465 model ? I guess you haven't tested them yet but if you have some feedback that would be nice :)

Natas

« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2021, 01:19:01 AM »
I wonder if its to do with the lack of head tube spacer, did you try it with spacers before you cut the steerer?

Which Juin tech brakes did you go for? I can't decide between the F1 or the GT's, not sure if 4 pistons are a bit overkill for a road bike or not.

Also what did you do to tune the seatpost?
I didn't try with the spacer, because it was not necessary for my position. But from my point view, the spacer will not change the stem flex.

It's the Juin Tech GT-F. I did this choice to be sure to have something able to brake hard and they are also lighter.

Original the seatpost is like that

So, I removed this parts

And I used instead the titanium screws, the aluminium yokes and carbon rocker from an old chinese MTB seatpost

Natas

« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2021, 01:24:26 AM »
My bad dude. Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what you're doing. Was just giving my observation.

I did,  however, go check my own bike, velobuild r099 , and actually I have a pretty similar amount if flex in the stem too. I guess it's been fine but for some peace of mind looks like I'm taking my own advice and getting the FSA  ACR headset and stem now
No worries Snacks, i understood  ;) ;). My goal was to explain my situation and my experience in bike building, just to say I'm not a noob  ;D ;D

Natas

« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2021, 01:29:26 AM »
Clearly you know what you are doing. Since it's a new build, might as well as VB for a replacement under warranty. 

Also, sure 28g from the seatpost, but just think how much weight you are saved by not installing the drivetrain!

Yes, I've sent the video to Chris and I'm waiting his response to see what he proposes to solve that.
It's for this reason that I didn't route the cables and thus the drivetrain  ;) ;)

Natas

« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2021, 01:47:42 AM »
Your "flexed" handlebar issue is really strange, so there is no flex from the fork ? Only the handlebar ?

Thanks for the photo, this color looks so nice ! I am about to order the same frame soon and will probably ask for the same color, is it just blue chameleon or is there a more specific color ? Is it the same as this one : http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-099-chameleon-blue-aero-road-carbon-bike-frame ? (it looks a bit different but that might be due to the lights).

Regarding the wheels, is it the lightbicycle AR465 model ? I guess you haven't tested them yet but if you have some feedback that would be nice :)
For me the flex is coming form the area of the stem.

Yes, the color is blue chameleon http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-168-light-weight-carbon-road-bike-frameset-blue-chameleon

True, the wheelsets are the Llightbicycle AR465 in Flyweight version mounted with Carbon-Ti X-hubs and the spokes Sapim CX Sprint-Rear drive side/ CX Ray-Other sides

renrew

« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2021, 10:59:31 AM »
Hello was only a silent reader until now. I ordered 2 frames 168 from Curis are on the way. The video with the handlebars and that it is an experienced self-builder scared me. I already got an answer from Chris

Hello

We are checking with the customer ,his bar seems expander lock one ,now our bars two bolts lock

Chris

I don't even know what that means exactly, I don't even see how it goes on