Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201054 times)

AngelDust

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »
Such a shame it doesn't match what you asked for! Did you send over a colour picture reference to Chris or just request the colour via e-mail? Did you receive a mock-up of what the colour was meant to look like? Personally, I really like the look of what you have been sent but can imagine you're disappointed!

Aside from the colour, how is the quality of the paint job itself? Have you also inspected the frame and bars, are they also okay quality wise?

I only sent a picture of what the frame looks like and told him laser blue color , see my email below.
yeah the color itself not bad , its exactly the same as canyon aeroad but i do disappointed

The quality of the frame its fine actually (will test it soon for climbing) but the bar too much flexy but i think its flexy because it's design of internal cable so i won't use it.
my Deda alanera from aliexpress way more stiffer and doesn't flex like the velobuild , maybe will put it on market place

Thanks for sharing!

A shame about the paint.   I am still in discussions with Chris to try to find a mutually agreeable solution (although within rights, there is no way they will send a new frame. But asking me to ship it back at my expense is also not fair)

If the paint is off, for instance, the metallic blue was a little light or darker than expected, I would consider this an acceptable deviation.
In your case, it looks like they used the wrong Pantone code and you ended up with something like Relucent Blue (which has a very similar number)

Up to you how worth it is for you to put up a fight I guess, but at the very least you should get exactly what you ordered in terms of parts, and very close in terms of paint.

I have my own paintshop actually and the cost its' the same as velobuild to paint it but i decided to have Chris painted it because i don't want to do the extra work but somehow it doesn't satisfy me, in my opinion you should take it to your local paint shop instead arguing with Chris, even Chris never respond to my email again, and he assume he already sent the picture of finished frame which he never sent me and just send the frame to me

For sure, this color is not close to laser blue metallic, I'm sorry for you :(
I am a little surprised at the weight announced in your spreadsheet, especially for the seatpost and the headset. Did you change something?
I am also interested to know which model of handlebar you will use.

Yeah i think i will be okay, soon gonna paint it maybe early in 2022
Seatpost in uncutted but i remove the clamp and change it to carbon clamp which save 20 gr
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000452319651.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.227e4c4dac3spL

i change the headset too from aliexpress , but you can get a branded one like carbon ti if you have the budget (here's the link of my headset and it works fine)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002091371858.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.227e4c4dac3spL

i use this one but will give you the feedback after couple of more rides uphill in my area
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001962258266.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2c5e5ae45g7bjb&algo_pvid=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628&algo_exp_id=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000018240190316%22%7D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:52:19 PM by AngelDust »

AngelDust

« Reply #436 on: August 16, 2021, 11:43:44 PM »
I installed this handlebar on my colleague's house. Here, too,
I have to say a lot of flex. I would also be interested in what kind of handlebars you build

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33021843997.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.13bb4c4dzIvwe4

i did buy this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001962258266.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2c5e5ae45g7bjb&algo_pvid=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628&algo_exp_id=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000018240190316%22%7D

and more stiffer than the velobuild one but i will get back to you after my build finished
just drop it at mechanic and will be finished around thursday or friday

OlieSimpson

« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2021, 02:36:10 AM »
i did buy this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001962258266.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2c5e5ae45g7bjb&algo_pvid=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628&algo_exp_id=6b819c2b-75f0-4fb2-bf80-e10a682aa628-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000018240190316%22%7D

and more stiffer than the velobuild one but i will get back to you after my build finished
just drop it at mechanic and will be finished around thursday or friday

That bar looks nice, however I don't think you're able to route the cables down through the headset spacers and in to the frame, is that right?

Chris has confirmed that they will ship my order this Friday, and that if I do not want the bar he is happy to refund me cost of the bar.

So...do I proceed with the HB011 bar, or do I ship without and look for an alternative?

Can anyone recommend a good, fully integrated/hidden cable bar (most likely off AliX) that is going to work with the VB-R-168? I've got until Thursday this week to decide.

AngelDust

« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2021, 02:53:14 AM »
That bar looks nice, however I don't think you're able to route the cables down through the headset spacers and in to the frame, is that right?

Chris has confirmed that they will ship my order this Friday, and that if I do not want the bar he is happy to refund me cost of the bar.

So...do I proceed with the HB011 bar, or do I ship without and look for an alternative?

Can anyone recommend a good, fully integrated/hidden cable bar (most likely off AliX) that is going to work with the VB-R-168? I've got until Thursday this week to decide.

Yes, i told my mechanic to try find some way to fit it in.
i hope we can find some alternative way but i'm thinking about drilling the steel space and make some hole so the cable can get through
if can't i think i need new spacer that could help to change the cable guide

renrew

« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2021, 03:34:26 AM »
've read through the reviews of the handlebar, here some also write that it flexes a lot.
You have to make compromises due to the geometry round to flat. I am looking forward to your report

1Sigma

« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
I have my own paintshop actually and the cost its' the same as velobuild to paint it but i decided to have Chris painted it because i don't want to do the extra work but somehow it doesn't satisfy me, in my opinion you should take it to your local paint shop instead arguing with Chris, even Chris never respond to my email again, and he assume he already sent the picture of finished frame which he never sent me and just send the frame to me

You are probably right, but as I do not have my own paint shop, and in my locality a paint job will cost more than the frame (any good recommendations in Toronto, anyone?) I think I would kick myself for not trying to come to a resolution with Chris.

OR....I could just lean into it.  I recently purchased some vinyl unicorn stickers for my daughter's bike.   Maybe I'll just embrace my purple sparkle bike and let her slap a few stickers on.
What do you think?

As for handlebar flex - is this under load, as in out of the seat sprinting and climbing, or even is low wattage conditions?

Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2021, 11:46:07 AM »

I have the dengfu bar that came with my r12. Its stiff, comparable to oz cycles flex test of his yoeleo bars. $110. Getting an all in one is $80 from ali so you should pay the extra $30 for a two year warranty and guaranteed quality.

hazzer19

« Reply #442 on: August 17, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
You are probably right, but as I do not have my own paint shop, and in my locality a paint job will cost more than the frame (any good recommendations in Toronto, anyone?) I think I would kick myself for not trying to come to a resolution with Chris.

OR....I could just lean into it.  I recently purchased some vinyl unicorn stickers for my daughter's bike.   Maybe I'll just embrace my purple sparkle bike and let her slap a few stickers on.
What do you think?

As for handlebar flex - is this under load, as in out of the seat sprinting and climbing, or even is low wattage conditions?

YES!  ;D

I ended up getting decals made locally and the brighter colour actually works well with the darker purple chameleon that I didn't ask for.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #443 on: August 17, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »
I have the dengfu bar that came with my r12. Its stiff, comparable to oz cycles flex test of his yoeleo bars. $110. Getting an all in one is $80 from ali so you should pay the extra $30 for a two year warranty and guaranteed quality.

Would that be the Dengfu HB015 bar Nick? http://m.dengfubikes.com/index.php?s=/198.html

I can't see a technical drawing for the VeloBuild HB011 bars however the profile looks identical to the HB015's, they're also the roughly the same price (only $10USD difference) and the same weight. I wonder if they're actually from the same factory?

renrew

« Reply #444 on: August 17, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
There are many retailers but only a few manufacturers ...
that says it all, that's the same handlebar

left Velobuild right Dengfu

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:15:54 PM by renrew »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #445 on: August 17, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
There are many retailers but only a few manufacturers ...
that says it all, that's the same handlebar

left Velobuild right Dengfu

Yep, they look VERY similar but there are a few small differences:

• The VeloBuild seems to have a hole just before where the steerer tube goes, which I assume is for the cables to run through the headset spacers. The Dengfu doesn't have a hole in this place
  • The steerer tube bolt holes on the VeloBuild are round, whereas the Dengfu look to be a hex shape
  • The Dengfu doesn't seem to have the two small holes that the headset spacers sit in to (maybe the images are a pre-production model before the holes were drilled?). On the VeloBuild these holes are to either side of the steerer tube

I do still think they've come from exactly the same manufacturer however, and most likely have the same manufacturing techniques that will lead to the same torsional stiffness etc. Not sure if it's worth cancelling the VeloBuild and replacing them with the Dengfu bars in this case?

renrew

« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »
the shape is the same, the post-processing is different

renrew

« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
does anyone know what kind of handlebar there is from ICAN

Nickk2000

« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
My dengfu bars has two normal headset sized screws on one side and like a 6-7mm hex on the other, for a total of 4 bolts. The cable routing is what a trek store service manager called “like the emonda”
The cables go under the handlebar and there is a cutout so you dont see them fron the side. They go flush with the cutout and then get fed down the steerer tube.

See attached pic.

One thing i forgot to check is if it can accept two wires on each side if you run mechanical or di2. I have etap axs so i forgot to check if theres enough room. If you REALLY need to know im thinking about retaping my bars and can do it tonight. Let me know. I think the flex may come from the steerer tube though. These things feel stiff and ive had one bad crash and one where i had an unclip accident. Bars fine and i feel no flex sprinting.

They have premade r12’s that come with the bar that are 105, r8k and duraace di2 so id assume they have enough room to fit it… dont know why theyd sell it if not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:45:57 PM by Nickk2000 »

Schumo

« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »
@OlieSimpson

My Dengfu bars look exactly look like the Velobuild ones.