Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201250 times)

Natas

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »
A quick return of experience after some rides, during the last one I lost one part of the bike who is holding the derailleur hanger  >:( >:(

I imagine there was not loctite on this scerw, so it is essential to put some on it to prevent this problem.

I've ask to Chris to send me this set of spare parts, I'm wating his reply.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #511 on: August 25, 2021, 12:33:10 PM »
A quick return of experience after some rides, during the last one I lost one part of the bike who is holding the derailleur hanger  >:( >:(

I imagine there was not loctite on this scerw, so it is essential to put some on it to prevent this problem.

The exact same issue was raised in the VB-R-099 thread a few days ago. Definitely going to loctite mine when the frame arrives! I also asked Chris to ensure there were spares in the box with the frame and he charged me 5usd for this.

GilardiRT

« Reply #512 on: August 25, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »
The exact same issue was raised in the VB-R-099 thread a few days ago. Definitely going to loctite mine when the frame arrives! I also asked Chris to ensure there were spares in the box with the frame and he charged me 5usd for this.
Just bought this frame, should I do something before using it?

Natas

« Reply #513 on: August 25, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »
Just bought this frame, should I do something before using it?
You should apply some loctite on the thead of the screw, surrounded in red on the previous picture.

renrew

« Reply #514 on: August 25, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »

Thank you for sharing

GilardiRT

« Reply #515 on: August 25, 2021, 03:33:55 PM »
You should apply some loctite on the thead of the screw, surrounded in red on the previous picture.
Thanks!

hazzer19

« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
I mentioned this prior as well but heads up that the thread in my Thru Axle became stripped a couple months after completing my build. I do take the back wheel off more than I did before to get it on the trainer but not an excessive amount. I first thought it was the read derailleur hanger but confirmed it was the TA itself. I have a replacement on it's way now.

Liter

« Reply #517 on: August 26, 2021, 07:54:47 AM »
The same thing happened to my VB99, a forum user was nice enough to send me the cap faster than Velobuild, will probably receive the thing by the end of this week.

My suspicion is that if you change the wheel enough that thing will loosen up without Loctite, since I get a lot of flats in my region and I use a smart trainer, I remove the rear wheel many times a week.

Natas

« Reply #518 on: August 26, 2021, 09:18:20 AM »
My suspicion is that if you change the wheel enough that thing will loosen up without Loctite, since I get a lot of flats in my region and I use a smart trainer, I remove the rear wheel many times a week.
That's not my case, I never removed the rear wheel since I built the bike.
In my case, I think that the cause is just the vibrations on the road.

FHS

« Reply #519 on: August 26, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
I'm not sure why it would loosen either. I do my own weekly maintenance so I probably remove my rear wheel more than a lot. Never had any problems with that piece. I did lose the little screw that keeps the through axle piece on the front fork though. My guess would be road vibration. I check the front piece all the time now, guess I'll add the rear derailleur mount to my weekly checks.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #520 on: August 27, 2021, 01:54:38 AM »
Finally finished my build, and of course it a rainy day  ;D

After a couple of rides I'll give some impressions and specs, with some better pictures.

GilardiRT

« Reply #521 on: August 27, 2021, 02:56:51 AM »
Finally finished my build, and of course it a rainy day  ;D

After a couple of rides I'll give some impressions and specs, with some better pictures.

Soo beautiful!!
I'm looking forward to receive mine :)
How tall are you and what's the size of the bike? It looks how you have a huge drop between saddle and bar

Zdrenka89

« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »
Soo beautiful!!
I'm looking forward to receive mine :)
How tall are you and what's the size of the bike? It looks how you have a huge drop between saddle and bar

Thank you! :)

This is a size 58. Handlebar is a 420/110.

I'm 191cm with longer limbs and shorter torso. Drop is quite deep and it has taken some years of cycling to achieve it but its also helped by my longer arms.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 03:13:41 AM by Zdrenka89 »

GilardiRT

« Reply #523 on: August 27, 2021, 04:00:55 AM »
Thank you! :)

This is a size 58. Handlebar is a 420/110.

I'm 191cm with longer limbs and shorter torso. Drop is quite deep and it has taken some years of cycling to achieve it but its also helped by my longer arms.
I ordered 56 with 420/100 handlebar, I am 183cm with 88.5cm inseam, hope it's gonna fit well

Zdrenka89

« Reply #524 on: August 27, 2021, 04:36:41 AM »
I ordered 56 with 420/100 handlebar, I am 183cm with 88.5cm inseam, hope it's gonna fit well

58 would almost certainly have been to long.

Reach is almost non-adjustable. You can slide you seat back a forth a bit but its the wrong way of doing it. The only real solution is a new handlebar. 

Stack is more flexible with spacers. You can start high and remove a few over time if you feel more confident.

Im pretty sure 56 was the right choice.