Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201111 times)

OlieSimpson

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
I've just seen on YouTube there is a chap is who is documenting his VB-R-168 build, inc. doing his own custom paint job. Thought this might be of interest to everyone here. The channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebrickheadz.

I also have a question around cable routing, specifically on the HB011 bar, how are you guys doing this?
  • Are you using the exit holes that are to the left and right of the computer mount (Example A image)
  • Are you using the single hole that is near the steerer tube (Example B image)
  • Are you using a mix of both, such as gear cables exit the steerer tube holes, brake cables (I'm running cable discs) exiting the computer mount holes

I'm just collating all of the parts I need for the build and am trying to visualise how I'm going to put it all together  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 01:16:00 PM by OlieSimpson »

jungian

« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »

I also have a question around cable routing, specifically on the HB011 bar, how are you guys doing this?
  • Are you using the exit holes that are to the left and right of the computer mount (Example A image)
  • Are you using the single hole that is near the steerer tube (Example B image)
  • Are you using a mix of both, such as gear cables exit the steerer tube holes, brake cables (I'm running cable discs) exiting the computer mount holes

I'm just collating all of the parts I need for the build and am trying to visual how I'm going to put it all together  :)

Also curious about how people are running their cables and how many are using shift cable housing? I am currently having issues using disc brakes and jagwire shift cable housing to all fit at a 90 degree bend. I ended up taking the smallest spacer and cutting the front part of the spacer so that my brake cables can be non integrated into the handlebar.

Another question for those fitting hydraulic brake hose and shift cable housing, how did you get you headset/fork to stay straight? All the cables in the headtube keep pushing my fork and handlebars to the left.

kbike

« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2021, 07:03:10 PM »
I will make full build post. hopefully within a week. 

I ran the 4 cables via the large opening of bars.  I figured there would be less tight bends. Plus I wanted fully internal.

Fork
I ran two housings left and two right of fork. One housing on right going into the fork. If you run housings same direction around fork it wants to pull and or pinch.  I ran cables into housings before fully compressing everything.

I slammed the stem no spacers needed and I used jagwire keb-sl and lex cables.

FHS

« Reply #678 on: October 21, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
I will make full build post. hopefully within a week. 

I ran the 4 cables via the large opening of bars.  I figured there would be less tight bends. Plus I wanted fully internal.

Fork
I ran two housings left and two right of fork. One housing on right going into the fork. If you run housings same direction around fork it wants to pull and or pinch.  I ran cables into housings before fully compressing everything.

I slammed the stem no spacers needed and I used jagwire keb-sl and lex cables.

The fully internal route on these bars is a nice option.

Yeah, +1 for making sure the cables and hoses to/from the right and left shifters are routed down the headtube and around the steerer accordingly. Also, taking a look a kbike's photo, I'd highly recommend running the cables and hoses parallel to each other through the handlebars and down the head tube without crossing over, especially if you are using spacers. Looking at that space right before the cables and hoses take the 90 degree turn down, there is actually enough room to run them all parallel to each other all the way through the bars, through the bend, and down into the headtube.

I found that if I crossed them over anywhere along that length, the pinch point eventually caused the housings to buckle making for stiff shifting and squishy braking. It's a tight fit to get them all parallel, but I used dental tools and a small flathead screw driver to get them all into correct orientation. I believe I had the brake hoses sandwiched between the shifter cables all the way through the bars, stem, headset, and headtube. Worked great even after I cut the stem down further and removed some spacers.

stmbike

« Reply #679 on: October 21, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »
Finished!! All was fine, but the internal cabling thru the stem-handlebar is not easy…at the end looks great. I’ll ride tomorrow to test it, will see how it works.
Info: this bike shares geometry with SL7, but the seatpost has little seatback.. have in mind to fit.

- Velobuild frame VB-R-168 size 58.
- Velobuild integrated stem+handlebar 110/440
- Ultegra 8020-8070
- Crankset Rotor 3D+ 1x (42t)
- Cassette leonardi 9-36
- wheels serenade 45mm (28mm witdth) tubular
- 7,6kg with pedals and bottle cages.

patliean1

« Reply #680 on: October 21, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
I had no clue a 9t sprocket top gear was compatible with Shimano 11-Speed. Lovely build!

stmbike

« Reply #681 on: October 21, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
I had no clue a 9t sprocket top gear was compatible with Shimano 11-Speed. Lovely build!
Yeah, it works.
42-9 is like a 51-11 to go fast and the 42-36 is like a 34-29 for climb, so this config is very good option to mount 1x (in my opinion)

hazzer19

« Reply #682 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:55 PM »
Finished!! All was fine, but the internal cabling thru the stem-handlebar is not easy…at the end looks great. I’ll ride tomorrow to test it, will see how it works.
Info: this bike shares geometry with SL7, but the seatpost has little seatback.. have in mind to fit.

- Ultegra 8020-8070
- Cassette leonardi 9-36

Nice build! The 1x idea for road is starting to intrigue me more.

The reason I completed a168 build recently is because I cracked my aero Workswell frame by clamping down the top tube on a work stand and feel obliged to mention this as I've learned that you should clamp at the seat post always to avoid this eek!

stmbike

« Reply #683 on: October 22, 2021, 02:12:39 AM »
Nice build! The 1x idea for road is starting to intrigue me more.

The reason I completed a168 build recently is because I cracked my aero Workswell frame by clamping down the top tube on a work stand and feel obliged to mention this as I've learned that you should clamp at the seat post always to avoid this eek!
Oh my god! really? :(. Didn’t have idea it can happen

renrew

« Reply #684 on: October 22, 2021, 05:36:35 AM »

- Ultegra 8020-8070
- Cassette leonardi 9-36

very very nice bike !!

Can you take photos of the stem with handlebars again because of the optics and how you laid the cables?
thanks

stmbike

« Reply #685 on: October 22, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »
very very nice bike !!

Can you take photos of the stem with handlebars again because of the optics and how you laid the cables?
thanks
I have to say that I ordered the stem+handlebar woth doubts, because it looks strange in the velobuild photos.. but I’m very very happy how looks the bike with this option.

patliean1

« Reply #686 on: October 22, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »
This is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post all of this.

Sidenote: What is the angle of the stem, if you order the stem and handlebar combo? -6, -10. -17?

renrew

« Reply #687 on: October 22, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »
I have to say that I ordered the stem+handlebar woth doubts, because it looks strange in the velobuild photos.. but I’m very very happy how looks the bike with this option.

Nice Thanks :)

stmbike

« Reply #688 on: October 22, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »
Stem is -6 degree.

First ride today, 40km. Good feeling. The bike is fast and reacts very well, going fast and climbing. I can feel a better control sensation than in my other bike when downhill.. The stem/handlebar help to give me a plus of control an confort (440). The handle bar is top.
Couple of details to fix.. as usual in the first ride, but very happy with the result.

KristianT

« Reply #689 on: October 24, 2021, 05:47:43 AM »
I am 189cm (6´2"-6´3") tall and i really have doughts if the 58cm frame will be to small for me.
For the SL7 they do recommend a 61cm frame.
Any advise from you guys?

Regards