Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201136 times)

maierada

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #720 on: November 03, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
This is a dumb question, but when it says on the description on Velobuild that the headset is 1-1/2" top and down, does this mean the fork is 1.5" in diameter? I was thinking about getting an FSA SMR stem and handlebar but I think they are only available for forks that are 1-1/8" in diameter. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Found that the fork is 1-1/8" from this video here:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:12:58 PM by maierada »

vasnd

« Reply #721 on: November 03, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
Well, my FSA ACR stem is doing great on this steerer.

dentillozie

« Reply #722 on: November 04, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
My frame finally arrived today, ordered on the 14th of September and shipped out the 16th.
The frame looks good! Just need to order some wheels and a groupset so I can start building!

some weights for reference, my frame is a 54 with no paint.
frame: 1150g
fork (uncut): 448g
seatpost: 237g
handlebar (400 x 90): 344g
bottlecage: 20g

stmbike

« Reply #723 on: November 06, 2021, 07:09:58 AM »
My frame finally arrived today, ordered on the 14th of September and shipped out the 16th.
The frame looks good! Just need to order some wheels and a groupset so I can start building!

some weights for reference, my frame is a 54 with no paint.
frame: 1150g
fork (uncut): 448g
seatpost: 237g
handlebar (400 x 90): 344g
bottlecage: 20g
Great! you will show us the result

stmbike

« Reply #724 on: November 06, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »
After more than 500km, I’m still very happy with the bike.. no issues :)

NovellaNovelli

« Reply #725 on: November 07, 2021, 06:32:22 AM »
Can anybody who has built up this frame with di2 shoot up some pics of how they've installed the FD cable through the cable stop?

I'm in the process of building mine up but looks like i'll either have to forgo the fd cable stop altogether (not ideal) or drill out a bigger opening to fit through the di2 cables (not ideal but probably the better option)

simonk

« Reply #726 on: November 07, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been meaning to give a proper review of my build but I had to fix some issues first. Mainly, my headset was too loose and I ordered an extra spacer (didn't feel like cutting the fork again). It finally arrived and I was able to complete my first proper ride this morning (40km). I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy it a few more times before it gets too freezing. Anyways, here is the list of parts I used for this build along with a few comments.

Ordering
- Chris from velobuild is not very quick to answer but he's helpful. I used Skype, I heard other people have better experiences by email.
- Elite Wheels take a while to ship since they build the wheels for every order. Ordering is easy and they respond quickly.
- Ordering groupsets on Aliexpress is surprisingly reliable. All parts look legit.

Building the bike
- Installing the press fit bottom bracket was a nightmare. I definitely recommend going to a bike shop for this part.
- The rest of build is fine. The hidden cable routing is honestly not that hard to complete. Just be patient. The cabling in the handlebar is probably the step that'll have you swearing the most.
- Getting the optimal tightness on the headset is not easy. I still have +-1mm of play, not sure if that's normal.
- I managed to fix the slipping post issue with a TON of carbon paste and some hockey tape. It's an annoying problem but it's definitely fixable.

Riding the bike
-My first impression is that this bike is sooo light. My reference is an aluminum Scott Speedster 10. I'm definitely faster with this bike
- The semi-hydraulic disc brakes are honestly garbage. Worse than rim brakes. I read that I needed to use compressionless housing. I might switch to that later down the road and see if it makes a difference. For now my recommendation is too spend an extra 300-600 for proper shimano hydraulic brakes. It is however manageable and you can safely brake.
- The bike feels solid and I hear no creaking or weird sounds.
- The Elite Wheels are LOUD. People are legit startled when I lay off the pedals and let the hub roll. Quite obnoxious but at least people get out of my way.

I'm definitely satisfied overall considering the price I paid. I can see myself building another Chinese carbon bike later down the road. For now I'm gonna take a break from building bikes  ;D

This community is extremely helpful, I can not overstate this. I'm gonna try and give another update once I accomplish some longer rides.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:18:01 PM by simonk »

hazzer19

« Reply #727 on: November 08, 2021, 12:09:43 AM »
Can anybody who has built up this frame with di2 shoot up some pics of how they've installed the FD cable through the cable stop?

I'm in the process of building mine up but looks like i'll either have to forgo the fd cable stop altogether (not ideal) or drill out a bigger opening to fit through the di2 cables (not ideal but probably the better option)

I drilled out the cable stop so it could pass the wire and it worked pretty well. I seems to get a lot of water that comes in to my frame when I wash it and have a feeling it may be that hole so will probably plug it with a small rubber bit soon.

NovellaNovelli

« Reply #728 on: November 08, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »
I drilled out the cable stop so it could pass the wire and it worked pretty well. I seems to get a lot of water that comes in to my frame when I wash it and have a feeling it may be that hole so will probably plug it with a small rubber bit soon.

Thanks, I figured that would probably the only real option barring some sort of custom 3d printed cable stop. I'll let you know if I figure out some solution for the water ingress.

ogu

« Reply #729 on: November 10, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »
hey guys!

i am really looking into a 168 for my new bike. But I want to be sure it's the right one for me.

I want an 'allroad' like frame, so I'd like room for bigger tires. Anybody tried 35c on they 168 ?

Also I don't like the weight and non adjustability of their handlebars. Do you think I can run an FSA 069 'SRS' headset, to have an almost full integration, with the ability of tweaking everything if I feel like it. (I attached a picture of the routing). I saw somebody do the same with their carbonda fm1056.

Of course if you see a better option that fits my criteria I'm open (road-ish geo, fits up to 35c (measured size), good cable integration (for bikepacking purposes) and good weight.

I'll keep you updated on my purchase!

Zdrenka89

« Reply #730 on: November 11, 2021, 01:38:48 AM »
The 168 will not clear 35c comfortably. I'll probably rotate but it will be very limited in clearance. The fork is the main limiting factor

33-34c is max.

Here shown with 32c WAM all-road tires

Consider the CFR-1056 as it weighs about the same, has external cable routing, and will importantly clear a 35c tire comfortably.

Liter

« Reply #731 on: November 11, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
Loved the color of the frame, whats the name?  it has some flakes in the paint?

The 168 will not clear 35c comfortably. I'll probably rotate but it will be very limited in clearance. The fork is the main limiting factor

33-34c is max.

Here shown with 32c WAM all-road tires

Consider the CFR-1056 as it weighs about the same, has external cable routing, and will importantly clear a 35c tire comfortably.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #732 on: November 12, 2021, 12:57:36 AM »
The paint is the 'blue chameleon' with a matte finish  :D Glad you like it.

cramy

« Reply #733 on: November 12, 2021, 02:11:41 AM »
Hi everyone! I've been meaning to give a proper review of my build but I had to fix some issues first. Mainly, my headset was too loose and I ordered an extra spacer (didn't feel like cutting the fork again). It finally arrived and I was able to complete my first proper ride this morning (40km). I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy it a few more times before it gets too freezing. Anyways, here is the list of parts I used for this build along with a few comments.

Ordering
- Chris from velobuild is not very quick to answer but he's helpful. I used Skype, I heard other people have better experiences by email.
- Elite Wheels take a while to ship since they build the wheels for every order. Ordering is easy and they respond quickly.
- Ordering groupsets on Aliexpress is surprisingly reliable. All parts look legit.

Building the bike
- Installing the press fit bottom bracket was a nightmare. I definitely recommend going to a bike shop for this part.
- The rest of build is fine. The hidden cable routing is honestly not that hard to complete. Just be patient. The cabling in the handlebar is probably the step that'll have you swearing the most.
- Getting the optimal tightness on the headset is not easy. I still have +-1mm of play, not sure if that's normal.
- I managed to fix the slipping post issue with a TON of carbon paste and some hockey tape. It's an annoying problem but it's definitely fixable.

Riding the bike
-My first impression is that this bike is sooo light. My reference is an aluminum Scott Speedster 10. I'm definitely faster with this bike
- The semi-hydraulic disc brakes are honestly garbage. Worse than rim brakes. I read that I needed to use compressionless housing. I might switch to that later down the road and see if it makes a difference. For now my recommendation is too spend an extra 300-600 for proper shimano hydraulic brakes. It is however manageable and you can safely brake.
- The bike feels solid and I hear no creaking or weird sounds.
- The Elite Wheels are LOUD. People are legit startled when I lay off the pedals and let the hub roll. Quite obnoxious but at least people get out of my way.

I'm definitely satisfied overall considering the price I paid. I can see myself building another Chinese carbon bike later down the road. For now I'm gonna take a break from building bikes  ;D

This community is extremely helpful, I can not overstate this. I'm gonna try and give another update once I accomplish some longer rides.

How do you find the Kactus ceramic BB to be performing? is it a sealed bearing?

Irideslowly

« Reply #734 on: November 12, 2021, 03:40:45 AM »
The paint is the 'blue chameleon' with a matte finish  :D Glad you like it.

Prettiest paint job I've seen on this forum. Congrats