Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201236 times)

jokage

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2021, 12:39:00 AM »
The semi-hydraulic disc brakes are honestly garbage. Worse than rim brakes. I read that I needed to use compressionless housing. I might switch to that later down the road and see if it makes a difference. For now my recommendation is too spend an extra 300-600 for proper shimano hydraulic brakes. It is however manageable and you can safely brake.

For those considering a budget braking system, might want to watch Trace Velo's on the subject (link's somehow not showing. Just go to his YouTube channel and go to his latest video).

Here's thinking on getting a 105 full hydraulic upgrade...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 12:42:10 AM by jokage »

jokage

« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2021, 12:54:32 AM »
hey guys!

i am really looking into a 168 for my new bike. But I want to be sure it's the right one for me.

I want an 'allroad' like frame, so I'd like room for bigger tires. Anybody tried 35c on they 168 ?

Also I don't like the weight and non adjustability of their handlebars. Do you think I can run an FSA 069 'SRS' headset, to have an almost full integration, with the ability of tweaking everything if I feel like it. (I attached a picture of the routing). I saw somebody do the same with their carbonda fm1056.

Of course if you see a better option that fits my criteria I'm open (road-ish geo, fits up to 35c (measured size), good cable integration (for bikepacking purposes) and good weight.

I'll keep you updated on my purchase!

Have you considered their proper all-road option, the GF-002? Especially as it got extra mounting points for panniers and extra bottle cages.

Also, I just noticed that Winowsports is also selling the same frames.

Irideslowly

« Reply #737 on: November 14, 2021, 05:26:04 AM »
For those considering a budget braking system, might want to watch Trace Velo's on the subject (link's somehow not showing. Just go to his YouTube channel and go to his latest video).

Here's thinking on getting a 105 full hydraulic upgrade...

Full hydraulic disc brakes for a road bike is complete overkill.
Use compresionless cables and they will be great.

1Sigma

« Reply #738 on: November 14, 2021, 07:20:26 AM »
Have you considered their proper all-road option, the GF-002? Especially as it got extra mounting points for panniers and extra bottle cages.

Also, I just noticed that Winowsports is also selling the same frames.

Are you sure they are the same? Reason I ask is that I am certain Veobuild does not manufacture their own frames, but I cannot locate their supplier.  That could be because Velobuild does not use pure open-source frames for all their bikes - they do use their own designs for some models like the 86
Better than average - Extra Average

Irideslowly

« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2021, 07:33:48 AM »
From what I've been told, velobuild manufacturer is Longteng.

NovellaNovelli

« Reply #740 on: November 14, 2021, 04:46:41 PM »
The 168 will not clear 35c comfortably. I'll probably rotate but it will be very limited in clearance. The fork is the main limiting factor

33-34c is max.

Here shown with 32c WAM all-road tires

Consider the CFR-1056 as it weighs about the same, has external cable routing, and will importantly clear a 35c tire comfortably.

What rims are you running there with the 32c?

Zdrenka89

« Reply #741 on: November 15, 2021, 01:45:28 AM »
Wheels are Hunt 4 Season All-Road. Very nice budget wheelset for this type of bike. 20mm wide internally.
https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

Tires are Vittoria Terreno Zero 32c setup tubeless.

This setup has seen shit.  ;D

esoin

« Reply #742 on: November 16, 2021, 11:42:22 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the build. Excited to begin!

Are these the correct headset parts? Is this gap normal? I also have this other compression ring which seems to fit better with the silver spacers. I may have mixed up parts with another frame build. Oops!

Last question - Can I source this handlebar bolt assembly anywhere? Long story short, my toddler was playing around with it and stripped the threads :(

Thanks for checking!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:24:47 AM by esoin »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #743 on: November 17, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the build. Excited to begin!

Are these the correct headset parts? Is this gap normal? I also have this other compression ring which seems to fit better with the silver spacers. I may have mixed up parts with another frame build. Oops!

Last question - Can I source this handlebar bolt assembly anywhere? Long story short, my toddler was playing around with it and stripped the threads :(

Thanks for checking!

I can't comment on the parts, however for the bolt you may be able to use:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33051125724.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64082e0eSyQUwB
or
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32972924030.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64082e0eSyQUwB

I have measured the bolt itself and it's an M5 x 18mm with washer, and has 17mm of threads. I haven't measured the threaded nut unfortunately however I'm pretty confident the Risk option above will work.

esoin

« Reply #744 on: November 17, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »
Thanks for the links and specs! You rock!

I can't comment on the parts, however for the bolt you may be able to use:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33051125724.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64082e0eSyQUwB
or
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32972924030.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.64082e0eSyQUwB

I have measured the bolt itself and it's an M5 x 18mm with washer, and has 17mm of threads. I haven't measured the threaded nut unfortunately however I'm pretty confident the Risk option above will work.

patliean1

« Reply #745 on: November 17, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »
Anyone with the separate bar/handlebar combo...

Can you please provide photos of how the internal cable routing works from the handlebars into the steer tube? The photos on the website aren't exactly clear. Is there a cable opening at the center of the handlebars, where the stem bolts attach?

Thanks...

stmbike

« Reply #746 on: November 17, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »

Can you please provide photos of how the internal cable routing works from the handlebars into the steer tube? The photos on the website aren't exactly clear. Is there a cable opening at the center of the handlebars, where the stem bolts attach?

Thanks...

In the separated stem handlebar option, the cable goes inside the handlebar, the handlebar has a hole to route the cables tru inside the stem and the stem has a hole also to route cables tru the headset. Like ACR system, see picture.

carbonazza

« Reply #747 on: November 18, 2021, 01:49:53 AM »
In the separated stem handlebar option, the cable goes inside the handlebar, the handlebar has a hole to route the cables tru inside the stem and the stem has a hole also to route cables tru the headset. Like ACR system, see picture.
Is it a stem provided by Velobuild ?
Is it carbon and did you weight it ?

cscottride

« Reply #748 on: November 18, 2021, 06:51:39 AM »

Thanks...

I recently switched from integrated bars to the bar/stem combo. The stem has a hole through it and the back of the bars has a small slot for the wires to go through and then on the underside is where they would route out to connect to the brakes. I was not able to route my cable through it as it was so tight and my cables were already cut to size. I explained this on my thread (VB-R-168 Build- A sceptic's experience). Hope this helps.

stmbike

« Reply #749 on: November 18, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
Is it a stem provided by Velobuild ?
Is it carbon and did you weight it ?
Yes, velobuild provides stem+handlebar.
In my case, stem 110mm 175g and handlebar 440mm 260g.