Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201200 times)

patliean1

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #750 on: November 19, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »
Thanks everyone!

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #751 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:15 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and considering building a VB-R-168. Given the SL7 recall, has anyone dropped their fork out to inspect for damage to the steerer? It is the only thing I worry about, and has me thinking of going for an older model with external cables to avoid any unknown problems.

hazzer19

« Reply #752 on: November 23, 2021, 12:03:50 AM »
I was watching a few more video on the SL7 recall issue and decided to take the bars off my 168 to see how the steerer looked out of curiosity.

Although the SL7 issue may not apply to the 168 because it has a different integrated design (I'm not certain it doesn't apply), what did get me thinking is that the HB10 bars I received are one of the first I think and use the wedge system for tightening instead external bolts. I can see that where one of the wedge pieces tightens agains the steerer, it has created a mark/small indent. Although this part doesn't really move once fastened, I'm wondering if it's only a matter of time until a bad enough mark is made and it weakens the steerer and it fails. Is this why the HB10 moved to external bolts? ugh...

bamboo_mountain I posted about this a little while back (photos on page 45). Since then I've taken things apart again (as much as you can with the integrated cables) and all looks ok.

renrew

« Reply #753 on: November 24, 2021, 04:42:43 AM »

The SL7 has a completely different system. You can buy the Velobuild 168 without any problems. Nothing presses on the steerer tube

hazzer19

« Reply #754 on: November 24, 2021, 10:26:14 AM »
I used the Spezialized expander, it is sufficiently long and light and serves as counter pressure for tensioning.

The recall relates to the inner rings on the SL7 which are too sharp-edged

@Renrew have you considered the new expander plug? One of my LBS can get it for me as a non SL7 owner and it's relatively cheap (around $25 I think) so considering it. Was told that unless you have a 56cm+ frame you may actually need to cut off some of the long insert in the bottom of the plug

renrew

« Reply #755 on: November 24, 2021, 11:25:46 AM »
I have a 56 frame I took the expander from the SL7 because it is lighter.
The Velobuild construction cannot destroy the steerer tube

renrew

« Reply #756 on: November 24, 2021, 11:34:05 AM »
the open ring is in the compression ring, the sharp edges like the SL7 are not here, these are the killer

OlieSimpson

« Reply #757 on: November 25, 2021, 02:34:24 AM »
Deda and other companies make a significantly longer Steerer Tube Plug than the stock version that is supplied with the frame. They should be long enough that even if you use all of the headset spacers supplied the plug should still sit below the top headset bearing.

https://www.internet-bikes.com/832901-deda-balhoofdplug-70-x-235-mm-staal-1-1-8-inch-zwart-zilver/

I agree with the above in that the stock compression ring etc. will not cause the same issue that has been flagged with the SL& as the sharp edges are not present on the VeloBuild items.

dalon

« Reply #758 on: December 06, 2021, 05:36:13 AM »
Hello everybody,
thank you admin of the forum for accepting my registration, i am writing from Italy, I apologize for my non perfect English.
I ordered the frame VB-168 size 52 handlebars integrated 40/100, and are in stress, for waiting. :o
I will set up the bike with a sram group Red Etap AXS 12V, ordered in Germany and in a few days coming ::)
I can't wait to assemble everything.
I read all the pages, and thank you for all suggestions.

I ask for help to those who have already mounted brake DISC SRAM FORCE or RED:
Have you detached the pipe from the caliper or lever?
And inserted pipe from the rear frame towards fork or on the contrary?
Did you spurge?

Thanks in advance
Davide

p.s. I'll keep you updated and I'll do photos.

Zoc

« Reply #759 on: December 06, 2021, 06:21:10 AM »
Hi,

mounted sram AXS force disc
detached it from the lever, you will have to shorten it anyway
started at the rear,
attention don't install the bottom bracket before finishing the brakes

use a noise protecting housing damper like this
https://www.bike-discount.de/de/capgo-noise-protection-schaumstoffhuelle-fuer-schaltzugaussenhuelle

renrew

« Reply #760 on: December 06, 2021, 06:32:07 AM »
Hello everybody,
thank you admin of the forum for accepting my registration, i am writing from Italy, I apologize for my non perfect English.
I ordered the frame VB-168 size 52 handlebars integrated 40/100, and are in stress, for waiting. :o
I will set up the bike with a sram group Red Etap AXS 12V, ordered in Germany and in a few days coming ::)
I can't wait to assemble everything.
I read all the pages, and thank you for all suggestions.

I ask for help to those who have already mounted brake DISC SRAM FORCE or RED:
Have you detached the pipe from the caliper or lever?
And inserted pipe from the rear frame towards fork or on the contrary?
Did you spurge?

Thanks in advance
Davide

p.s. I'll keep you updated and I'll do photos.

Hello Davide,
this is my Velobuild 168 with SRAM RED. Like the arrows, you need to guide the cables. And as already written that first of all !!

Greetings Werner

jstrawks

« Reply #761 on: December 06, 2021, 07:23:12 AM »
Hi,

mounted sram AXS force disc
detached it from the lever, you will have to shorten it anyway
started at the rear,
attention don't install the bottom bracket before finishing the brakes

use a noise protecting housing damper like this
https://www.bike-discount.de/de/capgo-noise-protection-schaumstoffhuelle-fuer-schaltzugaussenhuelle

I agree with all of this. It's what I did on my Carbonda CFR-1056.

dalon

« Reply #762 on: December 07, 2021, 03:28:44 AM »
Thanks everyone!

hazzer19

« Reply #763 on: December 07, 2021, 04:08:34 PM »
hi
i discussed it with my mechanic, and tomorrow will show you the result.
planning to drill the steel spacer but going to buy hard plasctic one from the aliexpress which weight less
the one which comes w the frame is quite heavy

AngelDust did you find plastic spacers that fit properly? Thanks!

Valdes

« Reply #764 on: December 09, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
Hi everyone,
I would like to replace the screws of this brakes by titanium screws:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uJeTee

Could someone please tell me how long should be the M6 brake's screws? I don't have acces to my bike now to check.