Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201158 times)

memebike

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #960 on: March 14, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
Nice bike Ollie,, well done on the build! What are the chances 2 triban users upgraded to the 168.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2022, 12:49:20 AM »
Nice build! Is that a faded paint job or chameleon?

It's purple chameleon fading down to gloss black. It makes the bike look almost all black until the sun catches it, and then the purple chameleon starts to sparkle :)

hazzer19

« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2022, 11:02:50 AM »
It's purple chameleon fading down to gloss black. It makes the bike look almost all black until the sun catches it, and then the purple chameleon starts to sparkle :)

Thats what it looked it but I wasn't sure. Nice choice!

1Sigma

« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2022, 09:08:11 PM »
Hi all,

Had my first ride on my VB-R-168 today and absolutely LOVE it.

The build went together really well, with the only issue being that I needed to file around 2mm of material off the inside of the front derailleur stop so the cable and ferrule could sit in correctly when routing under the bottom bracket. I did experience difficulty in routing the cables through the bars but it's my first time building a bike so it was to be expected.

In general I would say the overall quality of the bike is great, especially when considering how much the frame is!

For context, I'm coming off a Triban RC520, a full aluminium, relaxed geo, 9kg beginners road bike, and up until today was the only road bike I had ridden.

Compared to the RC520, the 168 is much stiffer, accelerates faster, transfers power better and holds speed very well once you get going, however it also seems very comfortable and compliant with no issues on the cobbles I rode today. My 35km ride today was a local loop I know very well and I managed to get a number of Strava PR's (smashing some of my previous times). I haven't ridden/trained for the last 6 weeks so fitness wasn't great and there were some hellish headwinds, which shows just how fast the bike is.

Without a power meter I can only go off avg. speed, and based on todays ride I think I've gained between 4 to 5km/h with the 168 which is more than I expected if I'm honest - I was averaging 32km/h on my ride and it felt pretty straightforward to maintain 37km/h, when pushing I was hitting between 44 to 52km/h which I could get nowhere near on my RC520 - all of this was on flat roads so no benefit from going downhill ;) it's a VERY fast bike.

I got the frame with the HB011 bar, when static and you test the bar for flex there is a small amount which I was a bit disappointed with, however when you're actually on the bike and sprinting in the drops I couldn't feel any flex at all, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Aside from the frame, the other Chiner components I have are the Juin Tech GT's which are great, much better than my previous TRP HY/RDs, and the SROAD SLR2 cassette which shifts very well and is super light!

Overall, super happy and would highly recommend the frame!

A full parts list and weight per part for my build is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JRhus6SxSn-_OqfEiuNH-_bxQrsS67ouus0gICANTKk/edit#gid=704196738

I'll put some better pictures of the bike up when I have time. If you have any questions on the build, fire away!

Olie

How do those rotors work for you? I keep thinking about getting ultralight rotors, but always chicken out
Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

« Reply #964 on: March 17, 2022, 10:29:11 AM »
How do those rotors work for you? I keep thinking about getting ultralight rotors, but always chicken out

I've been using these Deckas rotors at 85g each and so far so good https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964003633.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802invPX6

OlieSimpson

« Reply #965 on: March 17, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Hard to say to be honest 1Sigma as I've only put 125km in to them so far this week. I also live in Amsterdam so all of my riding is on the flat, I only really use the brakes when coming up to traffic lights etc. so will never be able to test them on a long descent.

So far so good though, they were perfectly straight out of the box, went on fine and make no noise when braking which is all I can ask for.

1Sigma

« Reply #966 on: March 18, 2022, 10:23:47 PM »
. I also live in Amsterdam so all of my riding is on the flat, I only really use the brakes when coming up to traffic lights etc. so will never be able to test them on a long descent.

Maybe this is the important part.  I also live somewhere without a ton of long descents.
Reckon it out to be fine then.  Thanks for the input!
Better than average - Extra Average

memebike

« Reply #967 on: March 19, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »
seat post slipped towards the end of a ride, now it seems like its stuck real good in there, didnt hear a crack or anything, any ideas on how to get it out?

jokage

« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »
seat post slipped towards the end of a ride, now it seems like its stuck real good in there, didnt hear a crack or anything, any ideas on how to get it out?

Happened few times to me.

Find an eye-height tree branch, or a metal bar. Wrap it with some thick clothes or foams. Hang your bike by the saddle nose. Ensure the wedge is already loosened. Pull your bike down hard or some good yanks.

memebike

« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2022, 10:39:29 PM »
managed to get it free, alternating taps from the nose to the rear of the saddle upwards managed to free it

Greenred

« Reply #970 on: March 22, 2022, 03:16:00 PM »
Just wanted to give an update, my VBR 168 has finally arrived.

The paint job is very good, I cannot see any issues with it so far, the decal is good (I selected an italic font, but regular was used, small inaccuracies where the decal meets the paint).
I asked Chris to send me a picture of everything before shipping to avoid getting a wrong delivery as some have reported here (couldn't however tell from the photos that the regular decal font was used instead of the italic one).
However, I can live with it, it's not bothering me, yet not absolutely perfect - I guess the price also simply doesn't permit perfection.

The only not-so-nice surprise was that just before shipping Chris told me, that suddenly the 420/100 integrated handlebars are out of stock with a long waiting time until they would be ready again.
So I ordered the Yoeleo h9 separately. I bought them via Yoeleo's European website, and I was told shipping within 5 days and delivery 5-10 days, as they ship from Europe.
However, the tracking link I got clearly shows the parcel is coming from China, and suddenly I am being told it will take around 3-4 weeks from Yoeleo.
Would have loved to get the velobuild handlebars and do business with them instead of Yoeleo, but out of necessity I didn't see another option.

Valdes

« Reply #971 on: March 27, 2022, 04:31:35 AM »
Hi there!
I am trying to find a time trial cilp-one bars but I can't find any fo my aero handlebar.
I have this handlebar
http://www.velobuild.com/products/carbon-fiber-road-bike-integrated-handlebar-with-spacers-for-hidden-cables-routing

Does anyone know if any of these Giant aero clip-ons are compatible?
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-aero-clip-on-clamps-for-contact-slr-aero-handlebars
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-aero-clip-on-bar-clamp

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 05:02:12 PM by Valdes »

stmbike

« Reply #972 on: March 30, 2022, 04:17:56 PM »
Hi guys. Nice to read so many opinions and people building this frame.
Just an update; after more than 3.000km, still very happy with this bike. No issues, all is running very well.

Greenred

« Reply #973 on: March 31, 2022, 02:29:36 PM »
Did anyone replace their stock spacers for the 168 with plastic ones to save a few grams? Looking for ones that match the shape of the HB011 which seems to be quite different than the HB010 spacers.

Found these so far https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002038330933.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7d7dbf5aOF0oka&algo_pvid=95d97a8f-3682-4d70-bc32-4280a3cafed2&algo_exp_id=95d97a8f-3682-4d70-bc32-4280a3cafed2-3&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000018504838752%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B9.78%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BCAD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

To report back on this: I bought them, they're too wide and would require and insert sleeve to fit the vbr 168 fork.
On another note: The spacers are split in the middle without attaching them to each other.
Only the top and bottom spacer would give them a stable structure, seems kind of a cheap design flaw imo.

Greenred

« Reply #974 on: April 04, 2022, 05:57:34 PM »
Did you install the front brake on the right or left side of the handlebar?
I routed the front brake cable to the left of the bars and experience quite some rotation in the steerer which could potentially be caused by this..

The cable entrance into the fork is on the right side.
I suspect this also dictates that the front brake should be on the right side of the handlebars - am I right, or doesn't it really matter?

If I could choose, I'd prefer rear braking with my right hand.