Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201012 times)

Pigdog

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1170 on: July 19, 2022, 02:43:34 PM »
I guess I fall into this category.

I have had issues with other frames failing on me in the past (including some expensive "western" brands), but never like with Velobuild where they supplied incorrect or obviously bad parts from the start.

Most people here, including myself are okay accepting some risk that they wont receive the same warranty buying direct from China, but I feel it is in the interest of everyone to push for better QC at least.

I do wonder if there was simply a bad production run that got out around the time China was experiencing the worst of the Omicron wave, Chris mentioned to me that there were delays at that time and maybe pressure caused bad results. It does seem somewhat localized around a group of us who purchased around that time, and recent builds have looked a bit better to me.

In any case, I do hope that Velobuild can succeed, and do not want to seem overly harsh in my critique. I just think that it is important to share the bad with the good so that buyers can make an informed decision.

I totally agree. And if a company supplies a faulty product, regardless of the price, they still need to make it right. If I got mine and it had big issues, I would have been super frustrated. Even though it’s cheaper then western brands, it’s still a decent amount of cash.
Hopefully they will send out the parts you need so you can properly complete your build.

erallen30

« Reply #1171 on: July 19, 2022, 10:07:32 PM »
Is it just me, or has there been an increase of new Chinertown members mainly looking for confirmation bias against purchasing from VeloBuild?

Initially I was very intrigued by what seemed to be a good option to recycle old components onto a new frame for cheap! But when people show basic manufacturing issues like misaligned mounting holes, slipping seat posts, or too deep of headset races, I can't justify the purchase. It's not that much money, but I can't justify it over purchasing an old cannondale supersix evo, for example, where I could go take a look at the bike myself and make a decision after inspection. I've seen bikes like supersix evos and giant TCRs go for around $1500 for full setups that are in great shape. VB just isn't there yet. I have faith that someday they will be but it just isn't right now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 10:28:08 PM by erallen30 »

patliean1

« Reply #1172 on: July 20, 2022, 11:19:21 AM »
Anyone in here using a Tarmac SL7 stem? And if so...

Can I use the SL7 stem cover, spacer, transition kit, and cable bat/bolt? I'm thinking about building a 168 and I already have a set Prime Components aero handlebars that allow for routing through the bars.

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-sworks-tarmac-sl7-stem-black-31.8mm-120mm-12-20021-1116/p1258782?v=1249585

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-tarmac-sl7-stem-cover-spacer-transition-kit-black-s202500009/p1249661

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-tarmac-sl7-stem-cable-clamp-bolt-black-s204800003/p1245584

gbrnole

« Reply #1173 on: July 20, 2022, 12:39:02 PM »
i think the best course of action is to look into the custom 3D printed headset covers that some of the folks with new allez sprint frames have been using? it appears to be a simple 1.5" opening on the head tube since others have used the FSA kit in the thread. see below for a weight weenies posting on it.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133529&start=2040

patliean1

« Reply #1174 on: July 22, 2022, 11:19:13 AM »
Okay so I finally pulled the trigger on a 168 frameset. Should arrive eventually, and I'm interested to see if I win the quality control + fit/finish lottery  ;D

Truthfully I only have one general reason for wanting the 168, which breaks down into smaller sub-details: 2022 Allez Sprint

#1 Geometry - The new Allez Sprint/SL7 is my ideal geometry. Long and low. But the 168 shares the identical geometry.

#2 Weight - However, the Allez Sprint is HEAVY. A size 52 weighs like 1400g. I imagine a 56 is around 1500-1600g.

#3 FSA/ACR/DEDA - Being able to use a handlebar/stem combo of my choice is a total game changer, and no longer restricts me certain frames. Huge thanks to the Chinertown community for putting me on to these headset options.

#4 Price - I was initially drawn to the new Allez Sprint mostly because of the way the frame and headset handles cable routing. But spending $1700 for cable routing sounds silly, knowing what I know now about headset options.

#5 Comparing to my 177, Dengfu R12, and Winspace T1500 - Lots of people have asked me about this. Will be interesting.

Having owned the previous Allez Sprint in rim brake, I'm not exactly expecting an identical ride feeling. And while I like my 177, at the end of the day I live in a flat city where being aero is king. Both in optimizing your position on the bike and your frame/wheel setup. On my weekly club rides we are regularly hitting speeds on the flats around 35mph/56kph. Yikes

Pigdog

« Reply #1175 on: July 22, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
Okay so I finally pulled the trigger on a 168 frameset. Should arrive eventually, and I'm interested to see if I win the quality control + fit/finish lottery  ;D

Truthfully I only have one general reason for wanting the 168, which breaks down into smaller sub-details: 2022 Allez Sprint

#1 Geometry - The new Allez Sprint/SL7 is my ideal geometry. Long and low. But the 168 shares the identical geometry.

#2 Weight - However, the Allez Sprint is HEAVY. A size 52 weighs like 1400g. I imagine a 56 is around 1500-1600g.

#3 FSA/ACR/DEDA - Being able to use a handlebar/stem combo of my choice is a total game changer, and no longer restricts me certain frames. Huge thanks to the Chinertown community for putting me on to these headset options.

#4 Price - I was initially drawn to the new Allez Sprint mostly because of the way the frame and headset handles cable routing. But spending $1700 for cable routing sounds silly, knowing what I know now about headset options.

#5 Comparing to my 177, Dengfu R12, and Winspace T1500 - Lots of people have asked me about this. Will be interesting.

Having owned the previous Allez Sprint in rim brake, I'm not exactly expecting an identical ride feeling. And while I like my 177, at the end of the day I live in a flat city where being aero is king. Both in optimizing your position on the bike and your frame/wheel setup. On my weekly club rides we are regularly hitting speeds on the flats around 35mph/56kph. Yikes

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts compared to those other frames, and seeing what headset option you decide to go with.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #1176 on: July 22, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
Anyone in here using a Tarmac SL7 stem? And if so...

Can I use the SL7 stem cover, spacer, transition kit, and cable bat/bolt? I'm thinking about building a 168 and I already have a set Prime Components aero handlebars that allow for routing through the bars.

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-sworks-tarmac-sl7-stem-black-31.8mm-120mm-12-20021-1116/p1258782?v=1249585

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-tarmac-sl7-stem-cover-spacer-transition-kit-black-s202500009/p1249661

https://www.performancebike.com/specialized-tarmac-sl7-stem-cable-clamp-bolt-black-s204800003/p1245584

If you value stiffness over weight, you could also try the '19 Venge stem which is supposedly the stiffest stem on the market (Specialized says it's stiffer than the Zipp SL Sprint)

Sagan prefers it over the stock stem on his SL7

Irideslowly

« Reply #1177 on: July 22, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »

If you ordered it under your name, I'd hope you would  get the most pristine frame...

RDY

« Reply #1178 on: July 22, 2022, 12:44:40 PM »
VB168 isn't long by any means in any of the sizes, though it is definitely low in all but the 58.  If you wanted long and low, I think there are definitely better options around @patliean1

Irideslowly

« Reply #1179 on: July 22, 2022, 12:51:53 PM »
What options would you recommend?

RDY

« Reply #1180 on: July 22, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
https://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Road-Disc-Frameset-SC-R49D-_p399.html

Longer, though not quite as low.  Though in practice it may be similar or even lower as top of head tube / bearing seat is below the top tube.  I'd definitely recommend Speeder over Velobuild generally, and would have bought one of their frames if they did something that suited my geo / tire clearance requirements.

patliean1

« Reply #1181 on: July 22, 2022, 04:08:41 PM »
VB168 isn't long by any means in any of the sizes, though it is definitely low in all but the 58.  If you wanted long and low, I think there are definitely better options around @patliean1

My Winspace T1500 is a Speeder SC-R49D. Not sure who developed the frame first, or if Speeder is the frame supplier for Winspace.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1182 on: July 22, 2022, 04:51:20 PM »
Good news, Chris is going to replace those bars with the separate stem+bar combo, now I pulled the front thru axle out and noticed this...

Should I fill this chip with some sort of epoxy? Not sure if the TA is supported by the carbon here or if the threaded insert bears the weight. I missed this when I first received the frame.

1Sigma

« Reply #1183 on: July 22, 2022, 05:20:29 PM »
Good news, Chris is going to replace those bars with the separate stem+bar combo, now I pulled the front thru axle out and noticed this...

Should I fill this chip with some sort of epoxy? Not sure if the TA is supported by the carbon here or if the threaded insert bears the weight. I missed this when I first received the frame.

What ever happened to the dropout thread that fastens to the frame?
Better than average - Extra Average

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1184 on: July 22, 2022, 05:25:22 PM »
What ever happened to the dropout thread that fastens to the frame?

I took it off to inspect because I could see this chip from the other side.