Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201140 times)

Greenred

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1230 on: August 03, 2022, 06:07:31 AM »
I finished my vbr 168 some time ago and have around 500km on it so far.
Great bike, love the looks, and simply the fact that I built it with my bare hands.

Weighting in at 7.3kg incl. pedals, I’d like to review a bit more in detail once I find time.

Question: anyone using the vbr 168 in a Hometrainer? I'm considering getting the Tacx Neo 2T. Preparing for the colder seasons before they get potentially sold out again.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #1231 on: August 03, 2022, 09:52:41 AM »
Great bike, love the looks, and simply the fact that I built it with my bare hands.

Weighting in at 7.3kg incl. pedals, I’d like to review a bit more in detail once I find time.

Question: anyone using the vbr 168 in a Hometrainer? I'm considering getting the Tacx Neo 2T. Preparing for the colder seasons before they get potentially sold out again.

Do you have a spec for your build? Mine is 7.9kg's and I'd like to try and loose a bit of weight on it  :)

I've also used mine with no problems on my Wahoo Kickr Core trainer. Did maybe 300 km's on it before the weather improved and I've been outdoors since with around 3,500km's clocked so far this year on my 168.

patliean1

« Reply #1232 on: August 03, 2022, 10:12:57 AM »
For what it's worth...my VB-177 build is also my indoor trainer bike (Wahoo Kickr + Kickr Climb). Used it all winter with no issues.

Irideslowly

« Reply #1233 on: August 03, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
My bike is the LTK268(Velobuild 099). It has been used more on the trainer than outside. You will not have any issues.

hazzer19

« Reply #1234 on: August 04, 2022, 01:10:31 AM »

I've used my 168 on a Kickr Core and regular Kickr and both have been great.

voshond

« Reply #1235 on: August 04, 2022, 02:44:55 AM »
Hello and good morning!

Also new to the forum, there is some great info around this thread, i haven't been able to collect and read every page yet, but you stumble upon some good stuff.

I think once i got confirmation, i'll compile it down to a google sheet for everyone to consume.

In order to prepare the build i collected the torque specs for all the bolts from Chris:

Seat post clamp6.0Nm
Seat post saddle8.0Nm
Front Derailleur4.0Nm
Rear Derailleur2.0Nm
Handlebar mounting5.5Nm
Shifters on handlebars5.0Nm
Axle10.0Nm

I would also like to get the specs from the axle, but he only mentioned that they will be on the axle itself. has anyone found a link for this on the Robert Through Axle project or elsewhere? I will probably buy another one.

He also said that the SL7 headset compression ring + Di2 seatpost battery holder should work.

For the Bearings i got these specs so far, will post an update once i got it all confirmed:

Inner width38.1mm
Outer width52mm
Height???mm
Outer Angle45deg
Inner Angle45deg
Maybe you find my Velobuild VB-R-168 Compedium useful: Link to Google Sheets

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #1236 on: August 04, 2022, 03:25:36 AM »
Great idea

Ive attached a picture of the axles with the specs. I believe you can get j&l lightweight axles with these specs from ebay

Also, i think the inner diameter of the headset bearing is 40mm, not 38.1mm

voshond

« Reply #1237 on: August 04, 2022, 05:02:09 AM »
Great idea

Ive attached a picture of the axles with the specs. I believe you can get j&l lightweight axles with these specs from ebay

Also, i think the inner diameter of the headset bearing is 40mm, not 38.1mm

Thank you very much for the reply, much appreciated!
I'm a bit surprised to see, that the through axle is 130mm with L21. 2.1cm of thread seems a bit overkill.

By any chance, does the axle stick out when installed at the front/backwheel? Do you have pictures?
Might be a way to shave off some weight by reducing the axle length by a bit.

I also asked Chris if the mounting surfaces from the break callipers are faced, he ignored it twice so far so assume they are not. Anyone know a cheap way to face it?

For the headset i requested the specific specs and if the top and bottom are the same. Do you know if the fork is also 31.8? Do you then need a shim or does the compression ring make the fork stay in place? I never had a bike with internal cable routing and i was wondering, why you would want space between the fork and the bearing.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1238 on: August 04, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »
Rear axle is perfect for me, front is maybe a tiny bit short if anything. I agree the threaded part is excessive.

gilj

« Reply #1239 on: August 04, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
For people who have recently received their frames, how are the disc-brake installation areas faced?

Greenred

« Reply #1240 on: August 04, 2022, 08:26:54 AM »
Do you have a spec for your build? Mine is 7.9kg's and I'd like to try and loose a bit of weight on it  :)

I've also used mine with no problems on my Wahoo Kickr Core trainer. Did maybe 300 km's on it before the weather improved and I've been outdoors since with around 3,500km's clocked so far this year on my 168.

I’ll do a more detailed review soon hopefully, but in short: Juin tech, sensah empire pro, lightweight rotors, bottlecage, bar tape, rims, tubes, tires etc. Or in other words: researching every single part considering cost vs weight also.

I might consider doing a YouTube video if there’s enough interest and time, let’s see.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #1241 on: August 04, 2022, 07:58:39 PM »
For the headset i requested the specific specs and if the top and bottom are the same. Do you know if the fork is also 31.8? Do you then need a shim or does the compression ring make the fork stay in place? I never had a bike with internal cable routing and i was wondering, why you would want space between the fork and the bearing.

Yes, both top and bottom headset bearings are the same size(if im not mistaken). Sorry, im not sure what the fork diameter where the bearing sits is, but im pretty sure it isnt 31.8 if the bearing is 40mm ID. I think its closer to 40mm. And the fork steerer is 1-1/8" (28.6mm)

You can refer to this video from velobuild for the rest of the headset assembly parts. Btw, this isnt a 168 in the video and some pieces are different different

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 08:07:04 PM by zxcvbnmjm »

voshond

« Reply #1242 on: August 05, 2022, 04:50:52 AM »
Yes, both top and bottom headset bearings are the same size(if im not mistaken). Sorry, im not sure what the fork diameter where the bearing sits is, but im pretty sure it isnt 31.8 if the bearing is 40mm ID. I think its closer to 40mm. And the fork steerer is 1-1/8" (28.6mm)
You can refer to this video from velobuild for the rest of the headset assembly parts. Btw, this isnt a 168 in the video and some pieces are different different

Heyho, thanks for the reply.

Apart from the bearing height, it looks like i got all the dimensions.
OD: 52
ID: 40
Angles: 45/45

Does anyone have pictures of the markings on the bearings? (possibly all of them?)

I'm waiting for my frame now, but it's going to be a sick build. I've got my Zipp 303s that i will transfer from my Gravel bike to the frame.

patliean1

« Reply #1243 on: August 06, 2022, 06:18:43 AM »
What are people using for seat post covers, and does the provided saddle clamp also work for 7x9 oversized cable rails?

patliean1

« Reply #1244 on: August 06, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
...just waiting for my saddle clamp to arrive  >:(
The seat post is being propped up by cardboard inside the frame for photo purposes LoL

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:36:48 AM by patliean1 »